Re: Short term goals, long term stills

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2 10:29 PM
      Using VM for flavored spirits is quite difficult since there's very
      little tails. The LM tends to have problems with valves not holding
      adjustments. If they hold adjustment the RR is constant throughout
      the run which is not what happens in a potstill / short brandy
      column. With CM the RR increases some towards the end giving better
      emulation of the "real thing". The issue here was to have a rig that
      can produce neutral spirits and be good for flavored spirits - thus
      CM. If you do flavored spirits with CM you should have a small
      constant amount of cooling for the reflux condenser - ie. no messing
      with water flows. Also, using constant cooling (ambient air cooling
      as an example) and power control gets rid of those water flow
      problems.

      For just neutral spirits ARC and VM are your best choices, depending
      on the level of automation you want.

      - Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams"
      <lindsay.nz@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Riku. Why recommend a CM system rather than LM or VM? I have
      moved
      > from CM to VM and know I would never go back to CM. Messing with
      water
      > flows is just too depressing to contemplate!
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Lindsay.
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
      > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
      > >
      > > If I were you I'd try building a modern cooling management still
      with
      > > reflux condenser on top only (no through tubes in the packed area
      of
      > > the column). It works very well for neutral spirits and can be
      used
      > > efficiently to emulate those small brandy towers with couple of
      > > plates. You can also make good whiskey with one of those and with
      > > proper settings it will give in one run very similar results as a
      > > double or tripple distillation in a potstill.
      > >
      > > - Riku
      > >
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
      > > <richardt2005@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and find myself
      at a
      > > > crossroads.
      > > >
      > > > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good quality,
      > > > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely flavored
      fruit
      > > > brandy.
      > > >
      > > > It looks like the most direct way to achieve my first goal is a
      > > copper
      > > > pipe internal reflux still, about 4'x2", packed with pot
      scrubbers,
      > > > with a water jacketed condenser, and a good charcoal filter.
      I'll
      > > use
      > > > a small electric pump to cycle swimming pool water through the
      > > > condenser. For the pot, I'm planning on gas fired double
      boiler,
      > > the
      > > > main tank made from a 1/2 size stainless beer keg, and a sugar
      or
      > > HFCS
      > > > wash with a commercial turbo yeast.
      > > >
      > > > But that looks like it's about useless for my ultimate goal.
      Any
      > > > suggestions? Would a valved reflux be a better compromise? Or
      > > should
      > > > I just go to a large pot still and assume multiple runs?

    • Trid
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2 11:13 PM
        <richardt2005@...> wrote:

        > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and find myself at a
        > crossroads.
        >
        > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good quality,
        > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely flavored fruit
        > brandy.

        If your goal is brandy, my advice would be to set up a nice clean pot
        still. It's a simple start and it has the fewest parts, simplest
        setup, and allows you to get started sooner without as many doohickeys
        to assemble/locate/engineer. Do multiple runs if you're after a more
        neutral spirit, but you can't beat a pot still for retaining the
        flavors of the fruit wash/wine that you're starting with.

        Trid
      • Vickypoint
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3 3:00 AM
          I had a still built as per Harrys design.He has put a lot of thought in this design and I must say to him "THANKS FOR THE EFFORT" The crossflow condensor works very well. I have a small pond pump recycling water from a 200 litre drum. The flow of water through the tubes in the condensor is very easlily controlled and the pump is not working hard at all.

          I have also had made a mini still as per Alex,s design. I made up a double helix cooling coil and have found the pump struggles a bit to maintain a good flow of cooling water through 1/4 inch cooper tubing.

          Both of these stills function well. I have a lot to learn on how to operate them to their ultimate performance.. But if you are looking for a good easily constructed still these are the ones I would be looking at. They both pump out around 92 to 94% so what more do you want.

          Vickypoint.

          <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

          > If I were you I'd try building a modern cooling management still with
          > reflux condenser on top only (no through tubes in the packed area of
          > the column). It works very well for neutral spirits and can be used
          > efficiently to emulate those small brandy towers with couple of
          > plates. You can also make good whiskey with one of those and with
          > proper settings it will give in one run very similar results as a
          > double or tripple distillation in a potstill.
          >
          > - Riku
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
          > <richardt2005@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and find myself at a
          > > crossroads.
          > >
          > > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good quality,
          > > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely flavored fruit
          > > brandy.
          > >
          > > It looks like the most direct way to achieve my first goal is a
          > copper
          > > pipe internal reflux still, about 4'x2", packed with pot scrubbers,
          > > with a water jacketed condenser, and a good charcoal filter. I'll
          > use
          > > a small electric pump to cycle swimming pool water through the
          > > condenser. For the pot, I'm planning on gas fired double boiler,
          > the
          > > main tank made from a 1/2 size stainless beer keg, and a sugar or
          > HFCS
          > > wash with a commercial turbo yeast.
          > >
          > > But that looks like it's about useless for my ultimate goal. Any
          > > suggestions? Would a valved reflux be a better compromise? Or
          > should
          > > I just go to a large pot still and assume multiple runs?

          Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

          ---------------------------------

          Frank
          vickypoint2003@...

          "Failure is never so frightening as regret"

        • greg tufts
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3 3:19 AM
            If you have the time and can access material,
            why not build your still with two "heads", one a
            simple pot still with worm for brandy, rum etc
            and a VM/CM/LM your choice for clean spirits ?
            I know this solution is not an option for all, but
            it works for me
            cheers
            greg

            ---------------------------------
            <richardt2005@...> wrote:

            > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and
            find myself at a
            > crossroads.
            >
            > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good
            quality,
            > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely
            flavored fruit
            > brandy.

            If your goal is brandy, my advice would be to set up a
            nice clean pot
            still. It's a simple start and it has the fewest
            parts, simplest
            setup, and allows you to get started sooner without as
            many doohickeys
            to assemble/locate/engineer. Do multiple runs if
            you're after a more
            neutral spirit, but you can't beat a pot still for
            retaining the
            flavors of the fruit wash/wine that you're starting
            with.

            Trid

            New Distillers group archives are at
            http://archive.nnytech.net/
            FAQ and other information available at
            http://homedistiller.org

            Food
            and drink Home
            distilling Culture

            Culture club
            Organizational culture
            Distillers

            Terms of Service.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3 5:16 AM
              But here's the catch, if you have CM system you can bypass the reflux
              condenser and have in practise a potstill. Add/remove packing to fine
              tune it to the internal reflux ratio (all potstills have internal
              reflux, some designs quite a lot actually) that suits your flavored
              drink style. No need for two heads as you can use one still in
              several modes.

              - Riku

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@...>
              wrote:

              > If you have the time and can access material,
              > why not build your still with two "heads", one a
              > simple pot still with worm for brandy, rum etc
              > and a VM/CM/LM your choice for clean spirits ?
              > I know this solution is not an option for all, but
              > it works for me
              > cheers
              > greg
              >
              > --- Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
              > <richardt2005@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and
              > find myself at a
              > > crossroads.
              > >
              > > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good
              > quality,
              > > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely
              > flavored fruit
              > > brandy.
              >
              > If your goal is brandy, my advice would be to set up a
              > nice clean pot
              > still. It's a simple start and it has the fewest
              > parts, simplest
              > setup, and allows you to get started sooner without as
              > many doohickeys
              > to assemble/locate/engineer. Do multiple runs if
              > you're after a more
              > neutral spirit, but you can't beat a pot still for
              > retaining the
              > flavors of the fruit wash/wine that you're starting
              > with.
              >
              > Trid
              >

              > New Distillers group archives are at
              > http://archive.nnytech.net/
              > FAQ and other information available at
              > http://homedistiller.org

              > Food
              > and drink Home
              > distilling Culture
              >
              > Culture club
              > Organizational culture
              > Distillers

              > Terms of Service.

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • richardt2005
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3 7:08 AM
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Vickypoint <vickypoint2003@...>
                wrote:

                > I had a still built as per Harrys design.He has put a lot of thought
                in this design and I must say to him "THANKS FOR THE EFFORT" The
                crossflow condensor works very well. I have a small pond pump
                recycling water from a 200 litre drum. The flow of water through the
                tubes in the condensor is very easlily controlled and the pump is not
                working hard at all.

                > I have also had made a mini still as per Alex,s design. I made up a
                double helix cooling coil and have found the pump struggles a bit to
                maintain a good flow of cooling water through 1/4 inch cooper tubing.

                Any link to Harry's or Alex's design? (I'm sorry to have not read all
                20,000 postings, there are whole rafts of resources that I haven't
                found yet.)
                Message 7 of 14 , May 3 5:56 PM
                  <richardt2005@...> wrote:

                  > Any link to Harry's or Alex's design? (I'm sorry to have not read
                  all
                  > 20,000 postings, there are whole rafts of resources that I haven't
                  > found yet.)

                  Use the two sites running in frames on the homepage of this
                  new_distillers groupsite. All will be revealed.

                • Paul McMillan
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 3 9:22 PM
                    As an aside not directly related to your point, but useful information
                    nonetheless... I found that I was able to greatly improve the
                    throughput of my struggling aquarium pump by putting the bucket from
                    which it was pumping on top of a garbage bin, raising it up by about 4
                    feet. Head height does matter..

                    Paul

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 4 1:40 AM
                      Have a look here for the items u are after the first one is Harrys still. Have a look in the First section Building an Eco friendly still.

                      http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Articles%20Listings

                      for Alexs still

                      http://geocities.com/bokakob/

                      richardt2005 <richardt2005@...> wrote: --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Vickypoint <vickypoint2003@...>