Re: Short term goals, long term stills

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2006
      No, a regular 1 meter packed column and a reflux coil on top of that (+
      a reflux spreader/collar). Then from above that reflux coil you have
      connection to a product condenser. Many of those old CM designs have
      through pipes at the packing area and that makes them both inefficient
      and difficult to disassemble.

      - Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
      <richardt2005@...> wrote:

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
      > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
      > >
      > > If I were you I'd try building a modern cooling management still
      > with
      > > reflux condenser on top only (no through tubes in the packed area
      > of
      > > the column).
      >
      > I can't quite picture it from your description.
      >
      > Something like a 4 foot column with the upper 1/3 packed, and that
      > part with a couple of cooling coils around the outside of the tower?

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2006
        Using VM for flavored spirits is quite difficult since there's very
        little tails. The LM tends to have problems with valves not holding
        adjustments. If they hold adjustment the RR is constant throughout
        the run which is not what happens in a potstill / short brandy
        column. With CM the RR increases some towards the end giving better
        emulation of the "real thing". The issue here was to have a rig that
        can produce neutral spirits and be good for flavored spirits - thus
        CM. If you do flavored spirits with CM you should have a small
        constant amount of cooling for the reflux condenser - ie. no messing
        with water flows. Also, using constant cooling (ambient air cooling
        as an example) and power control gets rid of those water flow
        problems.

        For just neutral spirits ARC and VM are your best choices, depending
        on the level of automation you want.

        - Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams"
        <lindsay.nz@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Riku. Why recommend a CM system rather than LM or VM? I have
        moved
        > from CM to VM and know I would never go back to CM. Messing with
        water
        > flows is just too depressing to contemplate!
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Lindsay.
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
        > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
        > >
        > > If I were you I'd try building a modern cooling management still
        with
        > > reflux condenser on top only (no through tubes in the packed area
        of
        > > the column). It works very well for neutral spirits and can be
        used
        > > efficiently to emulate those small brandy towers with couple of
        > > plates. You can also make good whiskey with one of those and with
        > > proper settings it will give in one run very similar results as a
        > > double or tripple distillation in a potstill.
        > >
        > > - Riku
        > >
        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
        > > <richardt2005@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and find myself
        at a
        > > > crossroads.
        > > >
        > > > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good quality,
        > > > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely flavored
        fruit
        > > > brandy.
        > > >
        > > > It looks like the most direct way to achieve my first goal is a
        > > copper
        > > > pipe internal reflux still, about 4'x2", packed with pot
        scrubbers,
        > > > with a water jacketed condenser, and a good charcoal filter.
        I'll
        > > use
        > > > a small electric pump to cycle swimming pool water through the
        > > > condenser. For the pot, I'm planning on gas fired double
        boiler,
        > > the
        > > > main tank made from a 1/2 size stainless beer keg, and a sugar
        or
        > > HFCS
        > > > wash with a commercial turbo yeast.
        > > >
        > > > But that looks like it's about useless for my ultimate goal.
        Any
        > > > suggestions? Would a valved reflux be a better compromise? Or
        > > should
        > > > I just go to a large pot still and assume multiple runs?

      • Trid
        Message 3 of 14 , May 2, 2006
          <richardt2005@...> wrote:

          > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and find myself at a
          > crossroads.
          >
          > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good quality,
          > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely flavored fruit
          > brandy.

          If your goal is brandy, my advice would be to set up a nice clean pot
          still. It's a simple start and it has the fewest parts, simplest
          setup, and allows you to get started sooner without as many doohickeys
          to assemble/locate/engineer. Do multiple runs if you're after a more
          neutral spirit, but you can't beat a pot still for retaining the
          flavors of the fruit wash/wine that you're starting with.

          Trid
        • Vickypoint
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2006
            I had a still built as per Harrys design.He has put a lot of thought in this design and I must say to him "THANKS FOR THE EFFORT" The crossflow condensor works very well. I have a small pond pump recycling water from a 200 litre drum. The flow of water through the tubes in the condensor is very easlily controlled and the pump is not working hard at all.

            I have also had made a mini still as per Alex,s design. I made up a double helix cooling coil and have found the pump struggles a bit to maintain a good flow of cooling water through 1/4 inch cooper tubing.

            Both of these stills function well. I have a lot to learn on how to operate them to their ultimate performance.. But if you are looking for a good easily constructed still these are the ones I would be looking at. They both pump out around 92 to 94% so what more do you want.

            Vickypoint.

            <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

            > If I were you I'd try building a modern cooling management still with
            > reflux condenser on top only (no through tubes in the packed area of
            > the column). It works very well for neutral spirits and can be used
            > efficiently to emulate those small brandy towers with couple of
            > plates. You can also make good whiskey with one of those and with
            > proper settings it will give in one run very similar results as a
            > double or tripple distillation in a potstill.
            >
            > - Riku
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
            > <richardt2005@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and find myself at a
            > > crossroads.
            > >
            > > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good quality,
            > > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely flavored fruit
            > > brandy.
            > >
            > > It looks like the most direct way to achieve my first goal is a
            > copper
            > > pipe internal reflux still, about 4'x2", packed with pot scrubbers,
            > > with a water jacketed condenser, and a good charcoal filter. I'll
            > use
            > > a small electric pump to cycle swimming pool water through the
            > > condenser. For the pot, I'm planning on gas fired double boiler,
            > the
            > > main tank made from a 1/2 size stainless beer keg, and a sugar or
            > HFCS
            > > wash with a commercial turbo yeast.
            > >
            > > But that looks like it's about useless for my ultimate goal. Any
            > > suggestions? Would a valved reflux be a better compromise? Or
            > should
            > > I just go to a large pot still and assume multiple runs?

            Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

            ---------------------------------

            Frank
            vickypoint2003@...

            "Failure is never so frightening as regret"

          • greg tufts
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2006
              If you have the time and can access material,
              why not build your still with two "heads", one a
              simple pot still with worm for brandy, rum etc
              and a VM/CM/LM your choice for clean spirits ?
              I know this solution is not an option for all, but
              it works for me
              cheers
              greg

              ---------------------------------
              <richardt2005@...> wrote:

              > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and
              find myself at a
              > crossroads.
              >
              > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good
              quality,
              > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely
              flavored fruit
              > brandy.

              If your goal is brandy, my advice would be to set up a
              nice clean pot
              still. It's a simple start and it has the fewest
              parts, simplest
              setup, and allows you to get started sooner without as
              many doohickeys
              to assemble/locate/engineer. Do multiple runs if
              you're after a more
              neutral spirit, but you can't beat a pot still for
              retaining the
              flavors of the fruit wash/wine that you're starting
              with.

              Trid

              New Distillers group archives are at
              http://archive.nnytech.net/
              FAQ and other information available at
              http://homedistiller.org

              Food
              and drink Home
              distilling Culture

              Culture club
              Organizational culture
              Distillers

              Terms of Service.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                But here's the catch, if you have CM system you can bypass the reflux
                condenser and have in practise a potstill. Add/remove packing to fine
                tune it to the internal reflux ratio (all potstills have internal
                reflux, some designs quite a lot actually) that suits your flavored
                drink style. No need for two heads as you can use one still in
                several modes.

                - Riku

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@...>
                wrote:

                > If you have the time and can access material,
                > why not build your still with two "heads", one a
                > simple pot still with worm for brandy, rum etc
                > and a VM/CM/LM your choice for clean spirits ?
                > I know this solution is not an option for all, but
                > it works for me
                > cheers
                > greg
                >
                > --- Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
                > <richardt2005@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and
                > find myself at a
                > > crossroads.
                > >
                > > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good
                > quality,
                > > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely
                > flavored fruit
                > > brandy.
                >
                > If your goal is brandy, my advice would be to set up a
                > nice clean pot
                > still. It's a simple start and it has the fewest
                > parts, simplest
                > setup, and allows you to get started sooner without as
                > many doohickeys
                > to assemble/locate/engineer. Do multiple runs if
                > you're after a more
                > neutral spirit, but you can't beat a pot still for
                > retaining the
                > flavors of the fruit wash/wine that you're starting
                > with.
                >
                > Trid
                >

                > New Distillers group archives are at
                > http://archive.nnytech.net/
                > FAQ and other information available at
                > http://homedistiller.org

                > Food
                > and drink Home
                > distilling Culture
                >
                > Culture club
                > Organizational culture
                > Distillers

                > Terms of Service.

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • richardt2005
                Message 7 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Vickypoint <vickypoint2003@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I had a still built as per Harrys design.He has put a lot of thought
                  in this design and I must say to him "THANKS FOR THE EFFORT" The
                  crossflow condensor works very well. I have a small pond pump
                  recycling water from a 200 litre drum. The flow of water through the
                  tubes in the condensor is very easlily controlled and the pump is not
                  working hard at all.

                  > I have also had made a mini still as per Alex,s design. I made up a
                  double helix cooling coil and have found the pump struggles a bit to
                  maintain a good flow of cooling water through 1/4 inch cooper tubing.

                  Any link to Harry's or Alex's design? (I'm sorry to have not read all
                  20,000 postings, there are whole rafts of resources that I haven't
                  found yet.)
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                    <richardt2005@...> wrote:

                    > Any link to Harry's or Alex's design? (I'm sorry to have not read
                    all
                    > 20,000 postings, there are whole rafts of resources that I haven't
                    > found yet.)

                    Use the two sites running in frames on the homepage of this
                    new_distillers groupsite. All will be revealed.

                  • Paul McMillan
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                      As an aside not directly related to your point, but useful information
                      nonetheless... I found that I was able to greatly improve the
                      throughput of my struggling aquarium pump by putting the bucket from
                      which it was pumping on top of a garbage bin, raising it up by about 4
                      feet. Head height does matter..

                      Paul

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 4, 2006
                        Have a look here for the items u are after the first one is Harrys still. Have a look in the First section Building an Eco friendly still.

                        http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Articles%20Listings

                        for Alexs still

                        http://geocities.com/bokakob/

                        richardt2005 <richardt2005@...> wrote: --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Vickypoint <vickypoint2003@...>