Short term goals, long term stills

  • richardt2005
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2006
      I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and find myself at a
      crossroads.

      My immediate goal is the reliable production of good quality,
      drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely flavored fruit
      brandy.

      It looks like the most direct way to achieve my first goal is a copper
      pipe internal reflux still, about 4'x2", packed with pot scrubbers,
      with a water jacketed condenser, and a good charcoal filter. I'll use
      a small electric pump to cycle swimming pool water through the
      condenser. For the pot, I'm planning on gas fired double boiler, the
      main tank made from a 1/2 size stainless beer keg, and a sugar or HFCS
      wash with a commercial turbo yeast.

      But that looks like it's about useless for my ultimate goal. Any
      suggestions? Would a valved reflux be a better compromise? Or should
      I just go to a large pot still and assume multiple runs?
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2006
        If I were you I'd try building a modern cooling management still with
        reflux condenser on top only (no through tubes in the packed area of
        the column). It works very well for neutral spirits and can be used
        efficiently to emulate those small brandy towers with couple of
        plates. You can also make good whiskey with one of those and with
        proper settings it will give in one run very similar results as a
        double or tripple distillation in a potstill.

        - Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"

        Message 3 of 14 , May 2, 2006
          <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

          > If I were you I'd try building a modern cooling management still
          with
          > reflux condenser on top only (no through tubes in the packed area
          of
          > the column).

          I can't quite picture it from your description.

          Something like a 4 foot column with the upper 1/3 packed, and that
          part with a couple of cooling coils around the outside of the tower?
        • Lindsay Williams
          Message 4 of 14 , May 2, 2006
            Hi, Riku. Why recommend a CM system rather than LM or VM? I have moved
            from CM to VM and know I would never go back to CM. Messing with water
            flows is just too depressing to contemplate!

            Cheers,
            Lindsay.

            Message 5 of 14 , May 2, 2006
              No, a regular 1 meter packed column and a reflux coil on top of that (+
              a reflux spreader/collar). Then from above that reflux coil you have
              connection to a product condenser. Many of those old CM designs have
              through pipes at the packing area and that makes them both inefficient
              and difficult to disassemble.

              Message 6 of 14 , May 2, 2006
                Using VM for flavored spirits is quite difficult since there's very
                little tails. The LM tends to have problems with valves not holding
                adjustments. If they hold adjustment the RR is constant throughout
                the run which is not what happens in a potstill / short brandy
                column. With CM the RR increases some towards the end giving better
                emulation of the "real thing". The issue here was to have a rig that
                can produce neutral spirits and be good for flavored spirits - thus
                CM. If you do flavored spirits with CM you should have a small
                constant amount of cooling for the reflux condenser - ie. no messing
                with water flows. Also, using constant cooling (ambient air cooling
                as an example) and power control gets rid of those water flow
                problems.

                For just neutral spirits ARC and VM are your best choices, depending
                on the level of automation you want.

                - Riku

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams"
                <lindsay.nz@...> wrote:

                > Hi, Riku. Why recommend a CM system rather than LM or VM? I have
                moved
                > from CM to VM and know I would never go back to CM. Messing with
                water
                > flows is just too depressing to contemplate!
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Lindsay.
                >
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
                > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
                > >
                > > If I were you I'd try building a modern cooling management still
                with
                > > reflux condenser on top only (no through tubes in the packed area
                of
                > > the column). It works very well for neutral spirits and can be
                used
                > > efficiently to emulate those small brandy towers with couple of
                > > plates. You can also make good whiskey with one of those and with
                > > proper settings it will give in one run very similar results as a
                > > double or tripple distillation in a potstill.
                > >
                > > - Riku
                > >
                > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
                > > <richardt2005@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and find myself
                at a
                > > > crossroads.
                > > >
                > > > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good quality,
                > > > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely flavored
                fruit
                > > > brandy.
                > > >
                > > > It looks like the most direct way to achieve my first goal is a
                > > copper
                > > > pipe internal reflux still, about 4'x2", packed with pot
                scrubbers,
                > > > with a water jacketed condenser, and a good charcoal filter.
                I'll
                > > use
                > > > a small electric pump to cycle swimming pool water through the
                > > > condenser. For the pot, I'm planning on gas fired double
                boiler,
                > > the
                > > > main tank made from a 1/2 size stainless beer keg, and a sugar
                or
                > > HFCS
                > > > wash with a commercial turbo yeast.
                > > >
                > > > But that looks like it's about useless for my ultimate goal.
                Any
                > > > suggestions? Would a valved reflux be a better compromise? Or
                > > should
                > > > I just go to a large pot still and assume multiple runs?

              • Trid
                Message 7 of 14 , May 2, 2006
                  <richardt2005@...> wrote:

                  > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and find myself at a
                  > crossroads.
                  >
                  > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good quality,
                  > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely flavored fruit
                  > brandy.

                  If your goal is brandy, my advice would be to set up a nice clean pot
                  still. It's a simple start and it has the fewest parts, simplest
                  setup, and allows you to get started sooner without as many doohickeys
                  to assemble/locate/engineer. Do multiple runs if you're after a more
                  neutral spirit, but you can't beat a pot still for retaining the
                  flavors of the fruit wash/wine that you're starting with.

                  Trid
                • Vickypoint
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                    I had a still built as per Harrys design.He has put a lot of thought in this design and I must say to him "THANKS FOR THE EFFORT" The crossflow condensor works very well. I have a small pond pump recycling water from a 200 litre drum. The flow of water through the tubes in the condensor is very easlily controlled and the pump is not working hard at all.

                    I have also had made a mini still as per Alex,s design. I made up a double helix cooling coil and have found the pump struggles a bit to maintain a good flow of cooling water through 1/4 inch cooper tubing.

                    Both of these stills function well. I have a lot to learn on how to operate them to their ultimate performance.. But if you are looking for a good easily constructed still these are the ones I would be looking at. They both pump out around 92 to 94% so what more do you want.

                    Vickypoint.

                    Lindsay Williams <lindsay.nz@...> wrote: Hi, Riku. Why recommend a CM system rather than LM or VM? I have moved

                    <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                    > If I were you I'd try building a modern cooling management still with
                    > reflux condenser on top only (no through tubes in the packed area of
                    > the column). It works very well for neutral spirits and can be used
                    > efficiently to emulate those small brandy towers with couple of
                    > plates. You can also make good whiskey with one of those and with
                    > proper settings it will give in one run very similar results as a
                    > double or tripple distillation in a potstill.
                    >
                    > - Riku
                    >
                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
                    > <richardt2005@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and find myself at a
                    > > crossroads.
                    > >
                    > > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good quality,
                    > > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely flavored fruit
                    > > brandy.
                    > >
                    > > It looks like the most direct way to achieve my first goal is a
                    > copper
                    > > pipe internal reflux still, about 4'x2", packed with pot scrubbers,
                    > > with a water jacketed condenser, and a good charcoal filter. I'll
                    > use
                    > > a small electric pump to cycle swimming pool water through the
                    > > condenser. For the pot, I'm planning on gas fired double boiler,
                    > the
                    > > main tank made from a 1/2 size stainless beer keg, and a sugar or
                    > HFCS
                    > > wash with a commercial turbo yeast.
                    > >
                    > > But that looks like it's about useless for my ultimate goal. Any
                    > > suggestions? Would a valved reflux be a better compromise? Or
                    > should
                    > > I just go to a large pot still and assume multiple runs?

                    Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

                    ---------------------------------

                    Frank
                    vickypoint2003@...

                    "Failure is never so frightening as regret"

                  • greg tufts
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                      If you have the time and can access material,
                      why not build your still with two "heads", one a
                      simple pot still with worm for brandy, rum etc
                      and a VM/CM/LM your choice for clean spirits ?
                      I know this solution is not an option for all, but
                      it works for me
                      cheers
                      greg

                      ---------------------------------
                      <richardt2005@...> wrote:

                      > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and
                      find myself at a
                      > crossroads.
                      >
                      > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good
                      quality,
                      > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely
                      flavored fruit
                      > brandy.

                      If your goal is brandy, my advice would be to set up a
                      nice clean pot
                      still. It's a simple start and it has the fewest
                      parts, simplest
                      setup, and allows you to get started sooner without as
                      many doohickeys
                      to assemble/locate/engineer. Do multiple runs if
                      you're after a more
                      neutral spirit, but you can't beat a pot still for
                      retaining the
                      flavors of the fruit wash/wine that you're starting
                      with.

                      Trid

                      New Distillers group archives are at
                      http://archive.nnytech.net/
                      FAQ and other information available at
                      http://homedistiller.org

                      Food
                      and drink Home
                      distilling Culture

                      Culture club
                      Organizational culture
                      Distillers

                      Terms of Service.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • abbababbaccc
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                        But here's the catch, if you have CM system you can bypass the reflux
                        condenser and have in practise a potstill. Add/remove packing to fine
                        tune it to the internal reflux ratio (all potstills have internal
                        reflux, some designs quite a lot actually) that suits your flavored
                        drink style. No need for two heads as you can use one still in
                        several modes.

                        - Riku

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@...>
                        wrote:

                        > If you have the time and can access material,
                        > why not build your still with two "heads", one a
                        > simple pot still with worm for brandy, rum etc
                        > and a VM/CM/LM your choice for clean spirits ?
                        > I know this solution is not an option for all, but
                        > it works for me
                        > cheers
                        > greg
                        >
                        > --- Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > ---------------------------------
                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
                        > <richardt2005@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and
                        > find myself at a
                        > > crossroads.
                        > >
                        > > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good
                        > quality,
                        > > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely
                        > flavored fruit
                        > > brandy.
                        >
                        > If your goal is brandy, my advice would be to set up a
                        > nice clean pot
                        > still. It's a simple start and it has the fewest
                        > parts, simplest
                        > setup, and allows you to get started sooner without as
                        > many doohickeys
                        > to assemble/locate/engineer. Do multiple runs if
                        > you're after a more
                        > neutral spirit, but you can't beat a pot still for
                        > retaining the
                        > flavors of the fruit wash/wine that you're starting
                        > with.
                        >
                        > Trid
                        >

                        > New Distillers group archives are at
                        > http://archive.nnytech.net/
                        > FAQ and other information available at
                        > http://homedistiller.org

                        > Food
                        > and drink Home
                        > distilling Culture
                        >
                        > Culture club
                        > Organizational culture
                        > Distillers

                        > Terms of Service.

                        > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • richardt2005
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Vickypoint <vickypoint2003@...>
                          wrote:

                          > I had a still built as per Harrys design.He has put a lot of thought
                          in this design and I must say to him "THANKS FOR THE EFFORT" The
                          crossflow condensor works very well. I have a small pond pump
                          recycling water from a 200 litre drum. The flow of water through the
                          tubes in the condensor is very easlily controlled and the pump is not
                          working hard at all.

                          > I have also had made a mini still as per Alex,s design. I made up a
                          double helix cooling coil and have found the pump struggles a bit to
                          maintain a good flow of cooling water through 1/4 inch cooper tubing.

                          Any link to Harry's or Alex's design? (I'm sorry to have not read all
                          20,000 postings, there are whole rafts of resources that I haven't
                          found yet.)
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                            <richardt2005@...> wrote:

                            > Any link to Harry's or Alex's design? (I'm sorry to have not read
                            all
                            > 20,000 postings, there are whole rafts of resources that I haven't
                            > found yet.)

                            Use the two sites running in frames on the homepage of this
                            new_distillers groupsite. All will be revealed.

                          • Paul McMillan
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                              As an aside not directly related to your point, but useful information
                              nonetheless... I found that I was able to greatly improve the
                              throughput of my struggling aquarium pump by putting the bucket from
                              which it was pumping on top of a garbage bin, raising it up by about 4
                              feet. Head height does matter..

                              Paul

                              Message 14 of 14 , May 4, 2006
                                Have a look here for the items u are after the first one is Harrys still. Have a look in the First section Building an Eco friendly still.

                                http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Articles%20Listings

                                for Alexs still

                                http://geocities.com/bokakob/

                                richardt2005 <richardt2005@...> wrote: --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Vickypoint <vickypoint2003@...>