Re: [new_distillers] Brainteaser answer

  • sonum norbu
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2006
      Shit Harry, I hope I remember that for a future life. :))
      ......blanikdog

      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
        wrote:

        > Shit Harry, I hope I remember that for a future life. :))
        > ......blanikdog

        Heh, I thought that would get your attention.
        The thing is, it also works in reverse, in that for the alcohol to be
        cooled down, it must give up that heat. This means it's easy to
        calculate how much heat needs to be removed per hour from a known
        quantity of vapour produced per hour. (however you need to make calcs
        using the latent heat of vaporization for that). What can you do with
        the info? Design and build a condenser to remove that amount of heat,
        of course. No guesswork, no 'overkill'. Job done.

        If you want 2 condensers in a VM still, 1 for reflux & 1 for product
        condensing & cooling, you can use calcs to design for both. If you
        want 1 reflux/product condenser in a LM still, just match your heat
        source's output (BTU, or Watts) to the calcs for removing that heat
        Then you can predict accurately how much juice you collect per hour
        for any given reflux ratio and power input. How do you judge the
        size/amount of the heat input? By calculating the amount of vapour
        that input will produce, then calculating the speed of that vapour
        volume in your proposed column diameter. Too fast? Either reduce the
        heat input, or get a bigger diameter column. This is what I mean when
        I say that designing stills is all a matter of balance. Done
        correctly, power controllers, lots of coils/metal, big pumps etc
        aren't necessary. Thus costs of building and operation are reduced
        considerably.

        If you're building a 'one-off' it doesn't matter so much, just follow
        a known configuration that works. But if you're building as a
        business, or building one from scratch by your own design, then cost
        and/or rebuild to fix mistakes are real issues.

      • sonum norbu
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2006
          I knew that!!!!.....blanikdog :)