Re: [new_distillers] Re: Dangers of Distilling

  • donald holcombe
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2006
      In a shed with gas heat and a leaking boiler It Will Go BOOM ! Ive seen it done . Too little ventiation and not enough Give a Damn about leaks.= A serious mess.Some of my buddies made their own still while drunk and ran 25 Lt of mash. Only got 1 pint of product. The wall paper curled up that night. Luckily thats the only thing that went wrong.

      dtswk <ndistillers@...> wrote: That's impressive....

      Gotta wonder what happened to make an explosion... I can understand
      for those people who use gas burner to heat you could get a fire...
      hmmm maybe a fire that then caused the gas tank to explode..???

      I use electric and whilst we still obviously need to be careful, hot
      flammable liquids is always a risk, it's much harder for something
      like this to go wrong.

      PS I bought a fire extinguisher after seeing how ethanol burns ie
      almost invisible.. that way i only have to spray the entire area, not
      hunt it down.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "duds2u" <taylormc@...> wrote:

      > I caught the tail end of a news item on the local TV station last
      > night. Someone on the Sunshine Coast had a problem with their still
      > over the weekend resulting in a VERY large bang. It completely
      > demolished a garden shed and the still ended up a couple of houses
      > away.
      > I don't know what went wrong but it is a good reminder to us all that
      > our hobby has some inherent dangers if the safety procedures are not
      > adhered to, particularly never leave a still unattended.

      Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers