Re: Dangers of Distilling

    Message 1 of 5 , May 1 4:05 PM
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dtswk" <ndistillers@...>
      wrote:

      > That's impressive....
      >
      > Gotta wonder what happened to make an explosion... I can
      understand
      > for those people who use gas burner to heat you could get a
      fire...
      > hmmm maybe a fire that then caused the gas tank to explode..???
      >
      > I use electric and whilst we still obviously need to be careful,
      hot
      > flammable liquids is always a risk, it's much harder for something
      > like this to go wrong.
      >
      > PS I bought a fire extinguisher after seeing how ethanol burns ie
      > almost invisible.. that way i only have to spray the entire area,
      not
      > hunt it down.

      I don't wonder at all. Gas or electric, they all go BOOM in the
      right (or wrong) circumstances. Check out what happened to my
      friend Jim, an expert at demolishing sheds. :-)

    • donald holcombe
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1 4:56 PM
        In a shed with gas heat and a leaking boiler It Will Go BOOM ! Ive seen it done . Too little ventiation and not enough Give a Damn about leaks.= A serious mess.Some of my buddies made their own still while drunk and ran 25 Lt of mash. Only got 1 pint of product. The wall paper curled up that night. Luckily thats the only thing that went wrong.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "duds2u" <taylormc@...> wrote:

        > I caught the tail end of a news item on the local TV station last
        > night. Someone on the Sunshine Coast had a problem with their still
        > over the weekend resulting in a VERY large bang. It completely
        > demolished a garden shed and the still ended up a couple of houses
        > away.
        > I don't know what went wrong but it is a good reminder to us all that
        > our hobby has some inherent dangers if the safety procedures are not
        > adhered to, particularly never leave a still unattended.

        Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers