Re: [new_distillers] Re: Dangers of Distilling

  • Mark Wabster
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2006
      Hi Folks,

      I checked out the archives of the local Sunshine Coast
      newspaper, http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au and
      can't find any mention of it.

      If it did happen, I wonder how they kept it out of the
      local paper? Anyone know the local fire brigade staff,
      as they'd almost certainly know about it.

      Cheerz Wab

      --- dtswk <ndistillers@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      That's impressive....

      Gotta wonder what happened to make an explosion... I
      can understand
      for those people who use gas burner to heat you could
      get a fire...
      hmmm maybe a fire that then caused the gas tank to
      explode..???

      I use electric and whilst we still obviously need to
      be careful, hot
      flammable liquids is always a risk, it's much harder
      for something
      like this to go wrong.

      PS I bought a fire extinguisher after seeing how
      ethanol burns ie
      almost invisible.. that way i only have to spray the
      entire area, not
      hunt it down.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "duds2u"
      <taylormc@...> wrote:

      > I caught the tail end of a news item on the local TV
      station last
      > night. Someone on the Sunshine Coast had a problem
      with their still
      > over the weekend resulting in a VERY large bang. It
      completely
      > demolished a garden shed and the still ended up a
      couple of houses
      > away.
      > I don't know what went wrong but it is a good
      reminder to us all that
      > our hobby has some inherent dangers if the safety
      procedures are not
      > adhered to, particularly never leave a still
      unattended.

      New Distillers group archives are at
      http://archive.nnytech.net/
      FAQ and other information available at
      http://homedistiller.org

      Food
      and drink Home
      distilling Culture

      Culture club
      Organizational culture
      Distillers

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------

      On Yahoo!7
      Dating: It's free to join and check out our great singles!
      http://www.yahoo7.com.au/personals
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dtswk" <ndistillers@...>
        wrote:

        > That's impressive....
        >
        > Gotta wonder what happened to make an explosion... I can
        understand
        > for those people who use gas burner to heat you could get a
        fire...
        > hmmm maybe a fire that then caused the gas tank to explode..???
        >
        > I use electric and whilst we still obviously need to be careful,
        hot
        > flammable liquids is always a risk, it's much harder for something
        > like this to go wrong.
        >
        > PS I bought a fire extinguisher after seeing how ethanol burns ie
        > almost invisible.. that way i only have to spray the entire area,
        not
        > hunt it down.

        I don't wonder at all. Gas or electric, they all go BOOM in the
        right (or wrong) circumstances. Check out what happened to my
        friend Jim, an expert at demolishing sheds. :-)

      • donald holcombe
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2006
          In a shed with gas heat and a leaking boiler It Will Go BOOM ! Ive seen it done . Too little ventiation and not enough Give a Damn about leaks.= A serious mess.Some of my buddies made their own still while drunk and ran 25 Lt of mash. Only got 1 pint of product. The wall paper curled up that night. Luckily thats the only thing that went wrong.