Dangers of Distilling

  • duds2u
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2006
      I caught the tail end of a news item on the local TV station last
      night. Someone on the Sunshine Coast had a problem with their still
      over the weekend resulting in a VERY large bang. It completely
      demolished a garden shed and the still ended up a couple of houses
      away.
      I don't know what went wrong but it is a good reminder to us all that
      our hobby has some inherent dangers if the safety procedures are not
      adhered to, particularly never leave a still unattended.
    • dtswk
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2006
        That's impressive....

        Gotta wonder what happened to make an explosion... I can understand
        for those people who use gas burner to heat you could get a fire...
        hmmm maybe a fire that then caused the gas tank to explode..???

        I use electric and whilst we still obviously need to be careful, hot
        flammable liquids is always a risk, it's much harder for something
        like this to go wrong.

        PS I bought a fire extinguisher after seeing how ethanol burns ie
        almost invisible.. that way i only have to spray the entire area, not
        hunt it down.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "duds2u" <taylormc@...> wrote:

        > I caught the tail end of a news item on the local TV station last
        > night. Someone on the Sunshine Coast had a problem with their still
        > over the weekend resulting in a VERY large bang. It completely
        > demolished a garden shed and the still ended up a couple of houses
        > away.
        > I don't know what went wrong but it is a good reminder to us all that
        > our hobby has some inherent dangers if the safety procedures are not
        > adhered to, particularly never leave a still unattended.

      • Mark Wabster
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2006
          Hi Folks,

          I checked out the archives of the local Sunshine Coast
          newspaper, http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au and
          can't find any mention of it.

          If it did happen, I wonder how they kept it out of the
          local paper? Anyone know the local fire brigade staff,
          as they'd almost certainly know about it.

          Cheerz Wab

          ---------------------------------

          <taylormc@...> wrote:

          > I caught the tail end of a news item on the local TV
          station last
          > night. Someone on the Sunshine Coast had a problem
          with their still
          > over the weekend resulting in a VERY large bang. It
          completely
          > demolished a garden shed and the still ended up a
          couple of houses
          > away.
          > I don't know what went wrong but it is a good
          reminder to us all that
          > our hobby has some inherent dangers if the safety
          procedures are not
          > adhered to, particularly never leave a still
          unattended.

          New Distillers group archives are at
          http://archive.nnytech.net/
          FAQ and other information available at
          http://homedistiller.org

          Food
          and drink Home
          distilling Culture

          Culture club
          Organizational culture
          Distillers

          Terms of Service.

          ---------------------------------

          On Yahoo!7
          Dating: It's free to join and check out our great singles!
          http://www.yahoo7.com.au/personals
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2006
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dtswk" <ndistillers@...>
            wrote:

            > That's impressive....
            >
            > Gotta wonder what happened to make an explosion... I can
            understand
            > for those people who use gas burner to heat you could get a
            fire...
            > hmmm maybe a fire that then caused the gas tank to explode..???
            >
            > I use electric and whilst we still obviously need to be careful,
            hot
            > flammable liquids is always a risk, it's much harder for something
            > like this to go wrong.
            >
            > PS I bought a fire extinguisher after seeing how ethanol burns ie
            > almost invisible.. that way i only have to spray the entire area,
            not
            > hunt it down.

            I don't wonder at all. Gas or electric, they all go BOOM in the
            right (or wrong) circumstances. Check out what happened to my
            friend Jim, an expert at demolishing sheds. :-)

          • donald holcombe
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2006
              In a shed with gas heat and a leaking boiler It Will Go BOOM ! Ive seen it done . Too little ventiation and not enough Give a Damn about leaks.= A serious mess.Some of my buddies made their own still while drunk and ran 25 Lt of mash. Only got 1 pint of product. The wall paper curled up that night. Luckily thats the only thing that went wrong.