Brainteaser answer

    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2006

      Cited for academic purposes only.

      Source:  https://www.palgrave.com/foundations/lewis/pdfs/10lewisa.pdf

    • sonum norbu
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2006
        Shit Harry, I hope I remember that for a future life. :))
        ......blanikdog

        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2006
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
          wrote:

          > Shit Harry, I hope I remember that for a future life. :))
          > ......blanikdog

          Heh, I thought that would get your attention.
          The thing is, it also works in reverse, in that for the alcohol to be
          cooled down, it must give up that heat. This means it's easy to
          calculate how much heat needs to be removed per hour from a known
          quantity of vapour produced per hour. (however you need to make calcs
          using the latent heat of vaporization for that). What can you do with
          the info? Design and build a condenser to remove that amount of heat,
          of course. No guesswork, no 'overkill'. Job done.

          If you want 2 condensers in a VM still, 1 for reflux & 1 for product
          condensing & cooling, you can use calcs to design for both. If you
          want 1 reflux/product condenser in a LM still, just match your heat
          source's output (BTU, or Watts) to the calcs for removing that heat
          Then you can predict accurately how much juice you collect per hour
          for any given reflux ratio and power input. How do you judge the
          size/amount of the heat input? By calculating the amount of vapour
          that input will produce, then calculating the speed of that vapour
          volume in your proposed column diameter. Too fast? Either reduce the
          heat input, or get a bigger diameter column. This is what I mean when
          I say that designing stills is all a matter of balance. Done
          correctly, power controllers, lots of coils/metal, big pumps etc
          aren't necessary. Thus costs of building and operation are reduced
          considerably.

          If you're building a 'one-off' it doesn't matter so much, just follow
          a known configuration that works. But if you're building as a
          business, or building one from scratch by your own design, then cost
          and/or rebuild to fix mistakes are real issues.

        • sonum norbu
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2006
            I knew that!!!!.....blanikdog :)