Re: Brainteaser

  • richardt2005
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2006

      > Here's an exercise for all the budding chem. engineers out there.
      >
      > Estimate the amount of heat energy needed to raise the
      > temperature of 20 g of common alcohol (ethanol) contained in a
      > 100g glass jar from 20°C to 30°C.

      Since you're specifying the glass jar, I'd have to include the
      energy needed to heat up the glass. The answer is therefor
      indeterminate, unless you give me the total mass of the glass jar.
      Or, at least give me the thickness of the glass, it's shape and
      dimensions and I'll figure it out. Is it a cylinder of equal height
      and diameter? Is it a sphere? What kind of glass? Heck, what
      concentration of ethanol - 95%?

      Go raibh maith agat

      RR