Brainteaser

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2006
      Here's an exercise for all the budding chem. engineers out there.

      Estimate the amount of heat energy needed to raise the
      temperature of 20 g of common alcohol (ethanol) contained in a
      100g glass jar from 20°C to 30°C.

      Answer tomorrow sometime.

    • where in the world is kim
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2006
        316 calories if the specific heat of glass is .20 and the specific heat of
        ethanol is .58

        Kim
        Here's an exercise for all the budding chem. engineers out there.

        Estimate the amount of heat energy needed to raise the
        temperature of 20 g of common alcohol (ethanol) contained in a
        100g glass jar from 20°C to 30°C.

        Answer tomorrow sometime.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • richardt2005
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2006

          > Here's an exercise for all the budding chem. engineers out there.
          >
          > Estimate the amount of heat energy needed to raise the
          > temperature of 20 g of common alcohol (ethanol) contained in a
          > 100g glass jar from 20°C to 30°C.

          Since you're specifying the glass jar, I'd have to include the
          energy needed to heat up the glass. The answer is therefor
          indeterminate, unless you give me the total mass of the glass jar.
          Or, at least give me the thickness of the glass, it's shape and
          dimensions and I'll figure it out. Is it a cylinder of equal height
          and diameter? Is it a sphere? What kind of glass? Heck, what
          concentration of ethanol - 95%?

          Go raibh maith agat

          RR