Re: Column vent tubes for the shot gun / cross flow condenser

  • stevolate
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29 7:14 AM
      Hi Marc
      There is no pressure at all as all vapour is condensed well
      before it reaches the end with the vent. The vapour expands when it
      boils and rushes up the column then it hits the condenser and
      condenses back to the original volume. No pressure. As long as the
      water was not interrupted and was sufficient flow you would not need
      to vent the condenser or column. BUT if the water were to stop the
      pressure would build up and you would have a great bomb. The vent is
      there for safety in case the water stops, or your condenser cannot
      handle all the vapour. Best to have an oversized condenser that can be
      transferred to any new still you build. As after a while you will
      build a larger still to save time.
      My vent was at the opposite end to the vapour entry as to not lose any
      vapour before it was condensed.

      Happy drinking

      Stevo

      > Harry or other shot gun / cross flow builders,
      >
      > All of the pictures of these condensers that I have seen just have one
      > 13 mm venting tube soldered on the top at one end. I was wondering
      > why is this? I should mention the columns that I have seen are 50
      > mm. I have added another vent at the other end. (see the pic in the
      > photos under marc)
      >
      > Is back pressure important to slow the vapour through the cooling
      > zone? If so I can block one tube off. I thought having two vents
      > would spilt the vapour each way to max the cooling suface area. I see
      > stevo uses a off set cross flow to not confuse the flow of vapour.
      > Any thoughts on this anyone?
      >
      > Cheers
      > Marc

    • mavnkaf
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30 3:01 AM
        Hi Stevo,

        I hope your holidays were good for you / family and thanks for
        giving me a quick email back while you were enjoying them. (triac
        voltage controller).

        Ok so the extra vent won't make any difference apart from the
        soldering practice. I will amit that I did not think of the
        contraction of the vapour when cooled!! Big lesson!

        Stevo, I have a problem with the traic controller daigram I have. I
        think it's the one you posted some were or you used. I intend to
        control a still spirt 1100 watt heater element down to 700 watts.
        Your first controller in the black box, did it work ok with smaller
        elements? If it did, do you still have it, if so would you sell it?

        If not, Can you let me know if the daigram I have is the right one?
        (look in the photo section under marc)
        From that daigram I have found all the parts bar the "o.15 uf 600
        volt capacitor? Can you tell me more about this component? Or
        anyone else? DSE search can't find it

        Cheers
        Marc

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@...>

        wrote:

        > Hi Marc
        > There is no pressure at all as all vapour is condensed well
        > before it reaches the end with the vent. The vapour expands when it
        > boils and rushes up the column then it hits the condenser and
        > condenses back to the original volume. No pressure. As long as the
        > water was not interrupted and was sufficient flow you would not
        need
        > to vent the condenser or column. BUT if the water were to stop the
        > pressure would build up and you would have a great bomb. The vent
        is
        > there for safety in case the water stops, or your condenser cannot
        > handle all the vapour. Best to have an oversized condenser that
        can be
        > transferred to any new still you build. As after a while you will
        > build a larger still to save time.
        > My vent was at the opposite end to the vapour entry as to not lose
        any
        > vapour before it was condensed.
        >
        > Happy drinking
        >
        > Stevo
        >

        > > Harry or other shot gun / cross flow builders,
        > >
        > > All of the pictures of these condensers that I have seen just
        have one
        > > 13 mm venting tube soldered on the top at one end. I was
        wondering
        > > why is this? I should mention the columns that I have seen are
        50
        > > mm. I have added another vent at the other end. (see the pic in
        the
        > > photos under marc)
        > >
        > > Is back pressure important to slow the vapour through the
        cooling
        > > zone? If so I can block one tube off. I thought having two
        vents
        > > would spilt the vapour each way to max the cooling suface area.
        I see
        > > stevo uses a off set cross flow to not confuse the flow of
        vapour.
        > > Any thoughts on this anyone?
        > >
        > > Cheers
        > > Marc

      • stevolate
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30 4:14 AM
          Hi Mark
          Could you tell me where the photos are of the triac in the
          black box, as I can't find them? I have posted photos of my latest triac
          http://tinyurl.com/kucrh
          Also put file in files section on triac designs. I think Harry may of
          first posted this file.
          http://tinyurl.com/omd2d
          Sorry I forgot to post till your reminder. Will look for original
          triac tomorrow but have not seen it for ages. It worked fine but was
          getting very hot. I have a friend who built my next 2 triac the photos
          are of the last one with a large heat sink. These units he used a
          larger triac that he had to order as Dick Smith did not stock them.
          I can't find the original plans. They were in the old posts with a
          list of parts and part numbers for Dick Smith.
          Will see if I can find them.

          Happy drinking

          Stevo

          > Hi Stevo,
          >
          > I hope your holidays were good for you / family and thanks for
          > giving me a quick email back while you were enjoying them. (triac
          > voltage controller).
          >
          > Ok so the extra vent won't make any difference apart from the
          > soldering practice. I will amit that I did not think of the
          > contraction of the vapour when cooled!! Big lesson!
          >
          > Stevo, I have a problem with the traic controller daigram I have. I
          > think it's the one you posted some were or you used. I intend to
          > control a still spirt 1100 watt heater element down to 700 watts.
          > Your first controller in the black box, did it work ok with smaller
          > elements? If it did, do you still have it, if so would you sell it?
          >
          > If not, Can you let me know if the daigram I have is the right one?
          > (look in the photo section under marc)
          > From that daigram I have found all the parts bar the "o.15 uf 600
          > volt capacitor? Can you tell me more about this component? Or
          > anyone else? DSE search can't find it
          >
          > Cheers
          > Marc
        • Marc Verheyden
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 30 5:23 AM
            Hi Stevo,

            Stevo I found it through the archives, where and when, don't know. It's one
            of the problems of a big data base. Gees, sorry Stevo it's not your fault.

            Drink just finisnhed
            Marc

          • stevolate
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30 5:27 AM
              Hi Mark
              That diagram is the one we started with. We replaced the triac
              with a 40A Triac I am not sure what he did with the other parts, if
              they were upgraded. I do remember there was a problem with the
              information I had on how the triac was wired. Power was to the wrong
              terminal. With the last triac we put an extra resister "I think" to
              let the power be controlled over a larger area of the dial.
              I think this is where the info first came from.
              http://hooleydooley.coolfreepages.com/distl/assembly.php
              Links to diagrams below.
              http://tinyurl.com/mbzwn
              http://tinyurl.com/erzgv
              Hi I found original message with part numbers, link below.
              http://tinyurl.com/fdtyg

              Happy drinking

              Stevo

              > Stevo, I have a problem with the traic controller daigram I have. I
              > think it's the one you posted some were or you used. I intend to
              > control a still spirt 1100 watt heater element down to 700 watts.
              > Your first controller in the black box, did it work ok with smaller
              > elements? If it did, do you still have it, if so would you sell it?
              >
              > If not, Can you let me know if the daigram I have is the right one?
              > (look in the photo section under marc)
              > From that daigram I have found all the parts bar the "o.15 uf 600
              > volt capacitor? Can you tell me more about this component? Or
              > anyone else? DSE search can't find it
              >
              > Cheers
              > Marc
            • stevolate
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 30 5:55 AM
                Hi Marc
                I just found some info Mike N sent to me.
                My electronics guy agreed with Mike. His message below.

                One small modification you might consider though change the triac you
                are using from a BT139-600 16amp to a BTA140-600. It has the same
                current and voltage rating, and is identical except in one important
                respect it has internal ceramic insulation that prevents mains voltage
                being connected to the metal backing tab. As the triac is attached to
                the heat sink by this tab, this means that you will no longer have a
                "live" heat sink, and your controller will be a lot safer to handle.

                All the best,
                Mike N

                > Hi Stevo,
                >
                > Stevo I found it through the archives, where and when, don't know.
                It's one
                > of the problems of a big data base. Gees, sorry Stevo it's not your
                fault.

                > Drink just finisnhed
                > Marc
              • mavnkaf
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2006
                  Thanks Stevo for your help,

                  It seems DSE don't have the BTA140-600 but I did find a mob called
                  Rockby Electronics in Melbourne have them for $7 dollars something.
                  It would be much safer to get it.