Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: methanol and ethyl acetate in the heads???

Expand Messages
  • kirtgk
    obviously i know the dangers of methanol or i would already of been poisoned since i consume my product. i do however appreciate your concern and willingness
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 6, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      obviously i know the dangers of methanol or i would already of been
      poisoned since i consume my product. i do however appreciate your
      concern and willingness to speak on such an importiant issue as one
      which could kill. maybee this info will help someone who is reading
      and not posting (lurkers). ive been told along the way of this
      string of posts that pectin is the main cause, and i cut and paste
      from gregory bloom this.

      > > > It isn't the yeast that controls methanol, it's what you're
      > >fermenting. I believe yeast has very limited metabolic pathways
      > >around methanol. Quoting from http://tinyurl.com/kon63 -
      > > >
      > > > "Basically it can be produced biologically in 2 ways;
      through
      > >the oxidation of methane by methane monooxygenase, or by the
      > >reduction of formaldehyde, by methanol dehydrogenase (and this
      > >reaction normally works in the reverse direction).
      > > >
      > > > It's true that some methanol can be produced during
      > >fermentation, but this is not derived from the ethanol or by
      > >carbohydrate oxidation. It is produced in small amounts, either
      by
      > >non-enzymatic reactions or through the reduction of
      formaldehyde."
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > > Methane isn't present in our washes, so the culprit is
      > >formaldehyde. I believe the pectins in fruit are methylated and
      can
      > >break down in the wash into formaldehyde. But so long as your
      wash
      > >has only pure fermentable carbohydrates, you can expect
      essentially
      > >zero methanol. There's a bit more in this discussion of methanol
      > >here:
      > > >
      > > > http://yarchive.net/med/methanol_poisoning.html

      now i followed these links and did my homework and what he says
      seemes to be laid out pretty effectively, dont you thinck so???
      im not looking for an arguement (i left all that bull s@&t in
      highschool) im looking for a truthfull and explained answer. i do
      like i said APPRECIATE YOUR CONCERN.

      please feel free to post all your resources on why you feel that
      pure sugar washes produce methanol.


      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Lebsanft"
      <bundy_rum98@...> wrote:
      >
      > Is it just me or should be all warning kirtgk about the dangers of
      methanol?
      > Dude IMHO please do not assume that no methanol is produced
      using a pure
      > sugar wash because I am 99% sure that there is and I am pretty
      sure that
      > alot of others here will agree. Either that or I just had a brain
      snap and
      > your asking about something completely different. 8-)
      >
      > Most distillers will take between 50-100mls of heads and throw
      them out,
      > this is where the methanol is and is poisonous stuff! I would
      advise you do
      > likewise...
      >
      > Hope this helps.
      >
      > Tim
      >
      >
      >
      > >From: "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...>
      > >Reply-To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: methanol and ethyl acetate in the
      heads???
      > >Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 00:36:38 -0000
      > >
      > >well thank you all for the information. as for the methanol i was
      > >99% sure that the very small amount if any was not a problem in a
      > >sugar wash. as for the ethyl acetate i monitor the temps very
      > >regulary and didnt have any off tastes but wasnt sure. better
      safe
      > >that sorry! also will be batching up 4 sugar washes this weekend
      and
      > >2 of these will be done in the step fermentation method. all with
      > >alcotec 48. and all are 6.5 gallon capacity. i tried some mile
      high
      > >turbo yeasts and they worked almost the same as the alcotec 48 but
      > >the final product was slightly different in taste. im pretty picky
      > >so try do do it the same each time for the purpose of compareing
      the
      > >end results. my assumption is that the yeast flavor in the final
      > >product is the culprit for the flavor change, eaven though it is
      > >very very faint. again THANKS FOR THE INFO. im off to compare more
      > >flavors ;-)
      > >
      > >kirtgk
      > >
      > >
      > >-- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Bloom <gjbloom@>
      > >wrote:
      > > >
      > > > It isn't the yeast that controls methanol, it's what you're
      > >fermenting. I believe yeast has very limited metabolic pathways
      > >around methanol. Quoting from http://tinyurl.com/kon63 -
      > > >
      > > > "Basically it can be produced biologically in 2 ways;
      through
      > >the oxidation of methane by methane monooxygenase, or by the
      > >reduction of formaldehyde, by methanol dehydrogenase (and this
      > >reaction normally works in the reverse direction).
      > > >
      > > > It's true that some methanol can be produced during
      > >fermentation, but this is not derived from the ethanol or by
      > >carbohydrate oxidation. It is produced in small amounts, either
      by
      > >non-enzymatic reactions or through the reduction of
      formaldehyde."
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > > Methane isn't present in our washes, so the culprit is
      > >formaldehyde. I believe the pectins in fruit are methylated and
      can
      > >break down in the wash into formaldehyde. But so long as your
      wash
      > >has only pure fermentable carbohydrates, you can expect
      essentially
      > >zero methanol. There's a bit more in this discussion of methanol
      > >here:
      > > >
      > > > http://yarchive.net/med/methanol_poisoning.html
      > > >
      > > >
      > > > Ethyl acetate, OTOH, is produced spontaneously whenever
      acetate is
      > >present with ethanol. There are several possible sources of
      acetate
      > >during fermentation. In general, acetate is formed by oxidation
      of
      > >ethanol. (In fact, acetate is the 'end-product' of our own
      > >metabolism of ethanol). In fermentation, oxidation of ethanol
      into
      > >acetate can happen as a result of desperate yeast metabolizing its
      > >own ethanol, or by contamination with other yeasts or bacteria.
      > > >
      > > > See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_fault
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > > ----- Original Message ----
      > > > From: kirtgk
      > > > To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > > > Sent: Wednesday, April 5, 2006 10:16:21 PM
      > > > Subject: [new_distillers] methanol and ethyl acetate in the
      > >heads???
      > > >
      > > > someone please correct me if i ame wrong .
      > > >
      > > > methanol is not produced when the wash contains only a quality
      > >turbo
      > > > yeast (alcotec 48), water, and pure granulated cane sugar. is
      > >this
      > > > correct information or incorrect???
      > > >
      > > > also i do not know if ethyl acetate is produced from this wash
      > >recipe.
      > > > can someone tell me if it is???
      > > >
      > > > keeping in mind that the temps are kept at 77 F and an airlock
      > >is
      > > > being used in my case. thanks for the answers.
      > > >
      > > > thanks in advance, and happy stillin
      > > >
      > > > kirtgk
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > > New Distillers group archives are at
      > >http://archive.nnytech.net/
      > > > FAQ and other information available at
      http://homedistiller.org
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > > SPONSORED LINKS
      > > > Food and
      > >drink Home
      > >distilling
      > >Culture
      > > Culture club
      > >Organizational culture
      > >Distillers
      > >
      > > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      > > >
      > > > Visit your group "new_distillers" on the web.
      > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      > > > new_distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
      of
      > >Service.
      > > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      >
    • Tim Lebsanft
      G day Jan, I too would call myself a new distiller. In saying that I have been doing it for a about a year or so but have been doing the same thing over and
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 6, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        G'day Jan, I too would call myself a new distiller. In saying that I have
        been doing it for a about a year or so but have been doing the same thing
        over and over because it works meaning that I haven't really had to learn
        about anything else, hence the "new" tag.

        Similarly, I have only obtained what I have read both hear and websites and
        just assumed from all discussions that methanol is evident at the start of
        every wash and is always thrown out. Plus it also smells like poison so I
        just assumed it was methanol.

        So realistically, I guess my 99% comes from general discussion and
        assumption that the really bad smell of what first comes out of my still is
        methanol. 8-) Plus there is too much risk to assume otherwise so I will
        just keep throwing it out...



        >From: "jan" <jan04@...>
        >Reply-To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: methanol and ethyl acetate in the
        >heads???
        >Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 13:11:35 +0930
        >
        >Tim, you say you are 99% sure Methanol IS produced in sugar wash. Can you
        >tell me how you obtained that conclusion? There has been a lot of
        >information posted on this subject over the past few days, with links to
        >various sites regarding the very low (if any) quantities of Methanol
        >produced in sugar wash.
        >I am a very new distiller, so cannot give any comment other than what I
        >have read on this subject, and what I have been informed by people in the
        >brewing business. The overwhelming response is that their is either no
        >Methanol or minute quantities produced from a sugar wash.
        >In saying that I am extremely cautious, so if you have any info to back
        >your 99% surety then I would be most interested in hearing about it.
        >Thanks
        >Jan
        > ----- Original Message -----
        > From: Tim Lebsanft
        > To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > Sent: Friday, April 07, 2006 11:53 AM
        > Subject: RE: [new_distillers] Re: methanol and ethyl acetate in the
        >heads???
        >
        >
        > Is it just me or should be all warning kirtgk about the dangers of
        >methanol?
        > Dude IMHO please do not assume that no methanol is produced using a
        >pure
        > sugar wash because I am 99% sure that there is and I am pretty sure that
        > alot of others here will agree. Either that or I just had a brain snap
        >and
        > your asking about something completely different. 8-)
        >
        > Most distillers will take between 50-100mls of heads and throw them out,
        > this is where the methanol is and is poisonous stuff! I would advise
        >you do
        > likewise...
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > Tim
        >
        >
        >
        > >From: "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...>
        > >Reply-To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: methanol and ethyl acetate in the
        >heads???
        > >Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 00:36:38 -0000
        > >
        > >well thank you all for the information. as for the methanol i was
        > >99% sure that the very small amount if any was not a problem in a
        > >sugar wash. as for the ethyl acetate i monitor the temps very
        > >regulary and didnt have any off tastes but wasnt sure. better safe
        > >that sorry! also will be batching up 4 sugar washes this weekend and
        > >2 of these will be done in the step fermentation method. all with
        > >alcotec 48. and all are 6.5 gallon capacity. i tried some mile high
        > >turbo yeasts and they worked almost the same as the alcotec 48 but
        > >the final product was slightly different in taste. im pretty picky
        > >so try do do it the same each time for the purpose of compareing the
        > >end results. my assumption is that the yeast flavor in the final
        > >product is the culprit for the flavor change, eaven though it is
        > >very very faint. again THANKS FOR THE INFO. im off to compare more
        > >flavors ;-)
        > >
        > >kirtgk
        > >
        > >
        > >-- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Bloom <gjbloom@...>
        > >wrote:
        > > >
        > > > It isn't the yeast that controls methanol, it's what you're
        > >fermenting. I believe yeast has very limited metabolic pathways
        > >around methanol. Quoting from http://tinyurl.com/kon63 -
        > > >
        > > > "Basically it can be produced biologically in 2 ways; through
        > >the oxidation of methane by methane monooxygenase, or by the
        > >reduction of formaldehyde, by methanol dehydrogenase (and this
        > >reaction normally works in the reverse direction).
        > > >
        > > > It's true that some methanol can be produced during
        > >fermentation, but this is not derived from the ethanol or by
        > >carbohydrate oxidation. It is produced in small amounts, either by
        > >non-enzymatic reactions or through the reduction of formaldehyde."
        > > >
        > > >
        > > >
        > > > Methane isn't present in our washes, so the culprit is
        > >formaldehyde. I believe the pectins in fruit are methylated and can
        > >break down in the wash into formaldehyde. But so long as your wash
        > >has only pure fermentable carbohydrates, you can expect essentially
        > >zero methanol. There's a bit more in this discussion of methanol
        > >here:
        > > >
        > > > http://yarchive.net/med/methanol_poisoning.html
        > > >
        > > >
        > > > Ethyl acetate, OTOH, is produced spontaneously whenever acetate is
        > >present with ethanol. There are several possible sources of acetate
        > >during fermentation. In general, acetate is formed by oxidation of
        > >ethanol. (In fact, acetate is the 'end-product' of our own
        > >metabolism of ethanol). In fermentation, oxidation of ethanol into
        > >acetate can happen as a result of desperate yeast metabolizing its
        > >own ethanol, or by contamination with other yeasts or bacteria.
        > > >
        > > > See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_fault
        > > >
        > > >
        > > >
        > > >
        > > > ----- Original Message ----
        > > > From: kirtgk
        > > > To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > > > Sent: Wednesday, April 5, 2006 10:16:21 PM
        > > > Subject: [new_distillers] methanol and ethyl acetate in the
        > >heads???
        > > >
        > > > someone please correct me if i ame wrong .
        > > >
        > > > methanol is not produced when the wash contains only a quality
        > >turbo
        > > > yeast (alcotec 48), water, and pure granulated cane sugar. is
        > >this
        > > > correct information or incorrect???
        > > >
        > > > also i do not know if ethyl acetate is produced from this wash
        > >recipe.
        > > > can someone tell me if it is???
        > > >
        > > > keeping in mind that the temps are kept at 77 F and an airlock
        > >is
        > > > being used in my case. thanks for the answers.
        > > >
        > > > thanks in advance, and happy stillin
        > > >
        > > > kirtgk
        > > >
        > > >
        > > >
        > > >
        > > >
        > > > New Distillers group archives are at
        > >http://archive.nnytech.net/
        > > > FAQ and other information available at http://homedistiller.org
        > > >
        > > >
        > > >
        > > >
        > > >
        > > > SPONSORED LINKS
        > > > Food and
        > >drink Home
        > >distilling
        > >Culture
        > > Culture club
        > >Organizational culture
        > >Distillers
        > >
        > > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        > > >
        > > > Visit your group "new_distillers" on the web.
        > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > > > new_distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        > >Service.
        > > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > New Distillers group archives are at http://archive.nnytech.net/
        > FAQ and other information available at http://homedistiller.org
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > a.. Visit your group "new_distillers" on the web.
        >
        > b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > new_distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        >Service.
        >
        >
        >------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        >
        >
        >
        >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >
      • kirtgk
        may possiably the smell of which you speak of be the remainder of the last run done in the still?? like i said i want no arguement just the facts. ... that I
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 6, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          may possiably the smell of which you speak of be the remainder of
          the last run done in the still?? like i said i want no arguement
          just the facts.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Lebsanft"
          <bundy_rum98@...> wrote:
          >
          > G'day Jan, I too would call myself a new distiller. In saying
          that I have
          > been doing it for a about a year or so but have been doing the
          same thing
          > over and over because it works meaning that I haven't really had
          to learn
          > about anything else, hence the "new" tag.
          >
          > Similarly, I have only obtained what I have read both hear and
          websites and
          > just assumed from all discussions that methanol is evident at the
          start of
          > every wash and is always thrown out. Plus it also smells like
          poison so I
          > just assumed it was methanol.
          >
          > So realistically, I guess my 99% comes from general discussion and
          > assumption that the really bad smell of what first comes out of my
          still is
          > methanol. 8-) Plus there is too much risk to assume otherwise so
          I will
          > just keep throwing it out...
          >
          >
          >
          > >From: "jan" <jan04@...>
          > >Reply-To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
          > >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: methanol and ethyl acetate in
          the
          > >heads???
          > >Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 13:11:35 +0930
          > >
          > >Tim, you say you are 99% sure Methanol IS produced in sugar wash.
          Can you
          > >tell me how you obtained that conclusion? There has been a lot of
          > >information posted on this subject over the past few days, with
          links to
          > >various sites regarding the very low (if any) quantities of
          Methanol
          > >produced in sugar wash.
          > >I am a very new distiller, so cannot give any comment other than
          what I
          > >have read on this subject, and what I have been informed by
          people in the
          > >brewing business. The overwhelming response is that their is
          either no
          > >Methanol or minute quantities produced from a sugar wash.
          > >In saying that I am extremely cautious, so if you have any info
          to back
          > >your 99% surety then I would be most interested in hearing about
          it.
          > >Thanks
          > >Jan
          > > ----- Original Message -----
          > > From: Tim Lebsanft
          > > To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > > Sent: Friday, April 07, 2006 11:53 AM
          > > Subject: RE: [new_distillers] Re: methanol and ethyl acetate
          in the
          > >heads???
          > >
          > >
          > > Is it just me or should be all warning kirtgk about the
          dangers of
          > >methanol?
          > > Dude IMHO please do not assume that no methanol is produced
          using a
          > >pure
          > > sugar wash because I am 99% sure that there is and I am pretty
          sure that
          > > alot of others here will agree. Either that or I just had a
          brain snap
          > >and
          > > your asking about something completely different. 8-)
          > >
          > > Most distillers will take between 50-100mls of heads and throw
          them out,
          > > this is where the methanol is and is poisonous stuff! I would
          advise
          > >you do
          > > likewise...
          > >
          > > Hope this helps.
          > >
          > > Tim
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > > >From: "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...>
          > > >Reply-To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > > >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: methanol and ethyl acetate in
          the
          > >heads???
          > > >Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 00:36:38 -0000
          > > >
          > > >well thank you all for the information. as for the methanol i
          was
          > > >99% sure that the very small amount if any was not a problem
          in a
          > > >sugar wash. as for the ethyl acetate i monitor the temps very
          > > >regulary and didnt have any off tastes but wasnt sure.
          better safe
          > > >that sorry! also will be batching up 4 sugar washes this
          weekend and
          > > >2 of these will be done in the step fermentation method. all
          with
          > > >alcotec 48. and all are 6.5 gallon capacity. i tried some
          mile high
          > > >turbo yeasts and they worked almost the same as the alcotec
          48 but
          > > >the final product was slightly different in taste. im pretty
          picky
          > > >so try do do it the same each time for the purpose of
          compareing the
          > > >end results. my assumption is that the yeast flavor in the
          final
          > > >product is the culprit for the flavor change, eaven though it
          is
          > > >very very faint. again THANKS FOR THE INFO. im off to compare
          more
          > > >flavors ;-)
          > > >
          > > >kirtgk
          > > >
          > > >
          > > >-- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Bloom <gjbloom@>
          > > >wrote:
          > > > >
          > > > > It isn't the yeast that controls methanol, it's what you're
          > > >fermenting. I believe yeast has very limited metabolic
          pathways
          > > >around methanol. Quoting from http://tinyurl.com/kon63 -
          > > > >
          > > > > "Basically it can be produced biologically in 2 ways;
          through
          > > >the oxidation of methane by methane monooxygenase, or by the
          > > >reduction of formaldehyde, by methanol dehydrogenase (and this
          > > >reaction normally works in the reverse direction).
          > > > >
          > > > > It's true that some methanol can be produced during
          > > >fermentation, but this is not derived from the ethanol or by
          > > >carbohydrate oxidation. It is produced in small amounts,
          either by
          > > >non-enzymatic reactions or through the reduction of
          formaldehyde."
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > > Methane isn't present in our washes, so the culprit is
          > > >formaldehyde. I believe the pectins in fruit are methylated
          and can
          > > >break down in the wash into formaldehyde. But so long as
          your wash
          > > >has only pure fermentable carbohydrates, you can expect
          essentially
          > > >zero methanol. There's a bit more in this discussion of
          methanol
          > > >here:
          > > > >
          > > > > http://yarchive.net/med/methanol_poisoning.html
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > > Ethyl acetate, OTOH, is produced spontaneously whenever
          acetate is
          > > >present with ethanol. There are several possible sources of
          acetate
          > > >during fermentation. In general, acetate is formed by
          oxidation of
          > > >ethanol. (In fact, acetate is the 'end-product' of our own
          > > >metabolism of ethanol). In fermentation, oxidation of
          ethanol into
          > > >acetate can happen as a result of desperate yeast
          metabolizing its
          > > >own ethanol, or by contamination with other yeasts or
          bacteria.
          > > > >
          > > > > See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_fault
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > > ----- Original Message ----
          > > > > From: kirtgk
          > > > > To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > > > > Sent: Wednesday, April 5, 2006 10:16:21 PM
          > > > > Subject: [new_distillers] methanol and ethyl acetate in the
          > > >heads???
          > > > >
          > > > > someone please correct me if i ame wrong .
          > > > >
          > > > > methanol is not produced when the wash contains only a
          quality
          > > >turbo
          > > > > yeast (alcotec 48), water, and pure granulated cane
          sugar. is
          > > >this
          > > > > correct information or incorrect???
          > > > >
          > > > > also i do not know if ethyl acetate is produced from this
          wash
          > > >recipe.
          > > > > can someone tell me if it is???
          > > > >
          > > > > keeping in mind that the temps are kept at 77 F and an
          airlock
          > > >is
          > > > > being used in my case. thanks for the answers.
          > > > >
          > > > > thanks in advance, and happy stillin
          > > > >
          > > > > kirtgk
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > > New Distillers group archives are at
          > > >http://archive.nnytech.net/
          > > > > FAQ and other information available at
          http://homedistiller.org
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > >
          > > > > SPONSORED LINKS
          > > > > Food
          and
          > > >drink Home
          > > >distilling
          > > >Culture
          > > > Culture club
          > > >Organizational culture
          > > >Distillers
          > > >
          > > > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          > > > >
          > > > > Visit your group "new_distillers" on the web.
          > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          > > > > new_distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
          Terms of
          > > >Service.
          > > > >
          > > >
          > > >
          > > >
          > > >
          > > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > > New Distillers group archives are at
          http://archive.nnytech.net/
          > > FAQ and other information available at http://homedistiller.org
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > >------------------------------------------------------------------
          ------------
          > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          > >
          > > a.. Visit your group "new_distillers" on the web.
          > >
          > > b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          > > new_distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > >
          > > c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
          Terms of
          > >Service.
          > >
          > >
          > >------------------------------------------------------------------
          ------------
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          > >
          >
        • Harry
          ... that I have ... same thing ... to learn ... websites and ... start of ... poison so I ... still is ... I will ... What you re talking about is ethyl
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 6, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Lebsanft"
            <bundy_rum98@...> wrote:
            >
            > G'day Jan, I too would call myself a new distiller. In saying
            that I have
            > been doing it for a about a year or so but have been doing the
            same thing
            > over and over because it works meaning that I haven't really had
            to learn
            > about anything else, hence the "new" tag.
            >
            > Similarly, I have only obtained what I have read both hear and
            websites and
            > just assumed from all discussions that methanol is evident at the
            start of
            > every wash and is always thrown out. Plus it also smells like
            poison so I
            > just assumed it was methanol.
            >
            > So realistically, I guess my 99% comes from general discussion and
            > assumption that the really bad smell of what first comes out of my
            still is
            > methanol. 8-) Plus there is too much risk to assume otherwise so
            I will
            > just keep throwing it out...
            >



            What you're talking about is ethyl acetate, not methanol. Please
            learn to identify and associate the chemicals with their correct
            names, or confusion will reign (this thread is a classic example of
            that confusion). Do NOT just 'assume' it is methanol. Further,
            your statement of "I haven't really had to learn about anything
            else" could use some serious re-thinking, if not for your own sake,
            then at least to not confuse and scare other newcomers.


            Slainte!
            regards Harry
            Moderator
          • Tim Lebsanft
            kirt, nah mate its all cool. i dont honestly think its anything to do with the last run because i clean it all very thoroughly. i have an idea, just ignore
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 7, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              kirt, nah mate its all cool. i dont honestly think its anything to do with
              the last run because i clean it all very thoroughly.

              i have an idea, just ignore everything i have said and find out the real
              facts. lol and i will just keep doing what i do... 8-)



              >From: "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...>
              >Reply-To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
              >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: methanol and ethyl acetate in the heads???
              >Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 04:40:26 -0000
              >
              >may possiably the smell of which you speak of be the remainder of
              >the last run done in the still?? like i said i want no arguement
              >just the facts.
            • Tim Lebsanft
              no worries Harry but its a discussion group and i am discussing. i am happy to be incorrect which means i have learnt something new as well. 8-) i cant
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 7, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                no worries Harry but its a discussion group and i am discussing. i am happy
                to be incorrect which means i have learnt something new as well. 8-)

                i cant remember how many times i have been confused, i just figured that was
                normal when learning new things and discussing same...

                drink on!


                >From: "Harry" <gnikomson2000@...>
                >
                >What you're talking about is ethyl acetate, not methanol. Please
                >learn to identify and associate the chemicals with their correct
                >names, or confusion will reign (this thread is a classic example of
                >that confusion). Do NOT just 'assume' it is methanol. Further,
                >your statement of "I haven't really had to learn about anything
                >else" could use some serious re-thinking, if not for your own sake,
                >then at least to not confuse and scare other newcomers.
                >
                >
                >Slainte!
                >regards Harry
                >Moderator
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.