Re: [new_distillers] I am just kind of dissapointed

  • Tom Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2000
      I've got a distiller and have been following the distilllers site for awhile
      but was pretty vaugue for a begginer, so the "new" list is a good move but i
      think almost like a beggining class on distilling a "assignment" with some
      basic instruction would be great i guess the first step would be to decide
      on what kind of potion would be a good first.

      I did attempt to make cider a month or so ago , bought a jug (organic)put
      in some cinnamon , a bit more sugar, and a campden tablet crushed and sealed
      it up i got the air out of the jug when adding the sugar (brown sugar &white
      sugar liquidized in a saucepan with water).
      but i think this recipe needed yeast it didnt call for it, i thought the
      campden tablet would ferment the batch , i ended up after about 15 days with
      a gallon of wierd stuff, a dark hairball lookin thing was sittin on the
      bottom of the jug and the overall taste was almost like water. so i guess i
      needed to add a yeast of some kind as well.
      my goal in buying the distiller was to make grappa and maybe even tequilla
      eventually.
    • River
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
        The camden tablet is used to kill the natural yeasts present in the
        cider. If you use a camden tablet you must add yeast. If you wish to
        go with the natural yeast, do not add the camden tablets.

        If you decide to go with the natural yeast, be advised that it will
        probably take longer to ferment. Also the taste and quality will be
        more variable from batch to batch. That being said, I do know quite
        a few people who do prefer doing it the natural way.

        Good Luck,
        River

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Tom Johnson <tjohnson@s...>
        wrote:
        > I've got a distiller and have been following the distilllers site
        for awhile
        > but was pretty vaugue for a begginer, so the "new" list is a good
        move but i
        > think almost like a beggining class on distilling a "assignment"
        with some
        > basic instruction would be great i guess the first step would be
        to decide
        > on what kind of potion would be a good first.
        >
        > I did attempt to make cider a month or so ago , bought a jug
        (organic)put
        > in some cinnamon , a bit more sugar, and a campden tablet crushed
        and sealed
        > it up i got the air out of the jug when adding the sugar (brown
        sugar &white
        > sugar liquidized in a saucepan with water).
        > but i think this recipe needed yeast it didnt call for it, i
        thought the
        > campden tablet would ferment the batch , i ended up after about 15
        days with
        > a gallon of wierd stuff, a dark hairball lookin thing was sittin
        on the
        > bottom of the jug and the overall taste was almost like water. so
        i guess i
        > needed to add a yeast of some kind as well.
        > my goal in buying the distiller was to make grappa and maybe even
        tequilla
        > eventually.
      • paul reynolds
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 24, 2013
          I am kind of new at it myself but would be glad to help you with what I know I have made a few good batches since starting.