Re: Can heads and tails be filetered?

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2006
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "macmccaskie@..."
      <macmccaskie@...> wrote:

      > Just wondering if I can mix the heads and tails along with the
      body, run
      > it through the carbon filter for vodka.
      >
      > Mac

      No. The purpose of distilling is to remove the heads/tails and
      excess water and heavy flavinoids from the spirit (body). Why would
      you want to add them back?

      Carbon is a mechanical filter. It works well on substances with
      relatively large molecules i.e. larger than ethanol. It doesn't
      work at all on the lower BP substances like methanol and ethyl
      acetate (the 'heads').

      If you want to make vodka, take the body at > (greater than) 95%abv,
      then water it down to drinking strength with bottled water. Avian
      water from France works well.