Can heads and tails be filetered?

  • macmccaskie@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2006
      Just wondering if I can mix the heads and tails along with the body, run
      it through the carbon filter for vodka.

      Mac
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "macmccaskie@..."
        <macmccaskie@...> wrote:

        > Just wondering if I can mix the heads and tails along with the
        body, run
        > it through the carbon filter for vodka.
        >
        > Mac

        No. The purpose of distilling is to remove the heads/tails and
        excess water and heavy flavinoids from the spirit (body). Why would
        you want to add them back?

        Carbon is a mechanical filter. It works well on substances with
        relatively large molecules i.e. larger than ethanol. It doesn't
        work at all on the lower BP substances like methanol and ethyl
        acetate (the 'heads').

        If you want to make vodka, take the body at > (greater than) 95%abv,
        then water it down to drinking strength with bottled water. Avian
        water from France works well.