Re: info on step fermentation??

  • kirtgk
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
      your right. my continous still got a fairly reliable abv. in the
      lower 80's. i plan to use it primarly for stripping. the pics are in
      my cellar, and the hole in the roof goes to the outside. its
      detached from the house and in the backyard a little ways from the
      house and garage so if it were to have any problems id only loose
      the contents. the whole structure is made of cinder block and a
      concrete slab for a roof, so if it did burn, i think the cellar
      would be reusable but i would have a good reason to built a larger
      still. im not sure if id change its design though. its usual running
      abv. when it equalizes is 90%-92% for the body of the run. i
      basicaly fill it, heat it to equalibrium and then i can walk away. i
      check on the temps every 45 minuites or so and when the first temp
      rise is seen i stick around and in about 20 minuites the second temp
      rise comes. at that point i push the temp to 180 f. and quickly
      collect the trails.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Murphy-Marsh, Leigh"
      <Leigh.Murphy-Marsh@...> wrote:

      > You'll probably find the continuous still to be good for a fast
      high abv
      > stripping run and then you can put the high quality 'gear' in your
      still
      > in one batch and run nice and slow getting maximum ABV. Time saved
      I'm
      > not sure though. I use a detuned reflux still to strip a big batch
      flat
      > out then run the 80ish percent stuff through again nice and slow.
      > Nice still by the way. Where does the hole in the roof go?? I take
      it
      > that's a basement.
      > Leigh.
      >
      > Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 02:43:14 -0000
      > From: "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...>
      > Subject: Re: info on step fermentation??
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@> wrote:
      > > > >
      > > > thanks harry the info was better than i expected. ive been
      > reading
      > > > these posts for a while now and gotten great results from
      simply
      > > > paying attention. the leads on the threads and recipes is also
      > > > appreciated. one question though. can i make the rum using a
      > > > coumpound reflux still or do you need to use a pot still to
      > bring
      > > > over more of the flavours? ill post pics of it if you need to
      or
      > > > want to see it.
      > > >

      > > > happy stillin
      > > > kirtgk
      > > >

      > > Potstills are usually a better option for flavoured spirits,
      > > particularly rums. However it is possible to use a reflux still
      > and
      > > get good results if a few things are altered for the run(s).
      > >
      > > 1) Detune the still i.e. remove almost all the mesh packing.
      You
      > > may leave a small amount in (like 10cm) at the base of the column
      > > help with sulphite removal. The object of this step is to
      convert
      > > the column into something more akin to a vertical lyne arm, thus
      > the
      > > still will react more like a potstill. The takeoff percentage
      > will
      > > be somewhere in the 80's rather than the normal 90+%.
      > >
      > > 2) NEVER fill your boiler more than 2/3 when doing molasses-
      based
      > > rum. Foaming is a real problem and you need good headroom to
      > > accomodate it. You can reduce foaming by adding a couple ta/sp
      of
      > > cooking oil or butter to the charge. This tends to break up the
      > > foam and helps prevent it boiling up into the column.
      > >
      > > 3) NEVER hard-boil the charge. Pay particular attention to the
      > > heat input as you approach the boil (this is where a thermometer
      > in
      > > the boiler head is valuable). Reduce heat input to the minimum
      > > necessary to maintain a gentle simmer. Apart from excessive
      > > foaming, hard boiling will produce a lot of nasty acrid flavours
      > > that are very difficult if not impossible to remove/convert
      during
      > > aging.
      > >
      > > Read the various files in the library (Murtagh, Arroyo etc.)
      > > regarding cuts for rum.
      > >

      > > HTH
      > > Slainte!
      > > regards Harry
      > >

      > great. thanks again. ill be trying the rum in the near future and
      > will let you know how it turned out. made a small continous still
      > and didnt like it. abv% to low on first run. time saved by not
      > having to recharge the boiler and then reheat everything wasnt
      worth
      > the loss of quality... im a quality man not a quanity man!! ive
      > posted some pics of my first still i built and some of the
      > modifications i made to get 90+ abv out of it. have a look if you
      > please, just keep in mind it is the first one i built.
      >

      > This message and any attached files may contain information that
      is confidential and/or subject of legal privilege intended only for
      use by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient
      or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended
      recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error
      and that any dissemination, copying or use of this message or
      attachment is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure of the
      information therein. If you have received this message in error
      please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.