Re: info on step fermentation??

  • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
      You'll probably find the continuous still to be good for a fast high abv
      stripping run and then you can put the high quality 'gear' in your still
      in one batch and run nice and slow getting maximum ABV. Time saved I'm
      not sure though. I use a detuned reflux still to strip a big batch flat
      out then run the 80ish percent stuff through again nice and slow.
      Nice still by the way. Where does the hole in the roof go?? I take it
      that's a basement.
      Leigh.

      Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 02:43:14 -0000
      From: "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...>
      Subject: Re: info on step fermentation??

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > thanks harry the info was better than i expected. ive been
      reading
      > > these posts for a while now and gotten great results from simply
      > > paying attention. the leads on the threads and recipes is also
      > > appreciated. one question though. can i make the rum using a
      > > coumpound reflux still or do you need to use a pot still to
      bring
      > > over more of the flavours? ill post pics of it if you need to or
      > > want to see it.
      > >

      > > happy stillin
      > > kirtgk
      > >

      > Potstills are usually a better option for flavoured spirits,
      > particularly rums. However it is possible to use a reflux still
      and
      > get good results if a few things are altered for the run(s).
      >
      > 1) Detune the still i.e. remove almost all the mesh packing. You
      > may leave a small amount in (like 10cm) at the base of the column
      > help with sulphite removal. The object of this step is to convert
      > the column into something more akin to a vertical lyne arm, thus
      the
      > still will react more like a potstill. The takeoff percentage
      will
      > be somewhere in the 80's rather than the normal 90+%.
      >
      > 2) NEVER fill your boiler more than 2/3 when doing molasses-based
      > rum. Foaming is a real problem and you need good headroom to
      > accomodate it. You can reduce foaming by adding a couple ta/sp of
      > cooking oil or butter to the charge. This tends to break up the
      > foam and helps prevent it boiling up into the column.
      >
      > 3) NEVER hard-boil the charge. Pay particular attention to the
      > heat input as you approach the boil (this is where a thermometer
      in
      > the boiler head is valuable). Reduce heat input to the minimum
      > necessary to maintain a gentle simmer. Apart from excessive
      > foaming, hard boiling will produce a lot of nasty acrid flavours
      > that are very difficult if not impossible to remove/convert during
      > aging.
      >
      > Read the various files in the library (Murtagh, Arroyo etc.)
      > regarding cuts for rum.
      >

      > HTH
      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      great. thanks again. ill be trying the rum in the near future and
      will let you know how it turned out. made a small continous still
      and didnt like it. abv% to low on first run. time saved by not
      having to recharge the boiler and then reheat everything wasnt worth
      the loss of quality... im a quality man not a quanity man!! ive
      posted some pics of my first still i built and some of the
      modifications i made to get 90+ abv out of it. have a look if you
      please, just keep in mind it is the first one i built.

    • kirtgk
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
        your right. my continous still got a fairly reliable abv. in the
        lower 80's. i plan to use it primarly for stripping. the pics are in
        my cellar, and the hole in the roof goes to the outside. its
        detached from the house and in the backyard a little ways from the
        house and garage so if it were to have any problems id only loose
        the contents. the whole structure is made of cinder block and a
        concrete slab for a roof, so if it did burn, i think the cellar
        would be reusable but i would have a good reason to built a larger
        still. im not sure if id change its design though. its usual running
        abv. when it equalizes is 90%-92% for the body of the run. i
        basicaly fill it, heat it to equalibrium and then i can walk away. i
        check on the temps every 45 minuites or so and when the first temp
        rise is seen i stick around and in about 20 minuites the second temp
        rise comes. at that point i push the temp to 180 f. and quickly
        collect the trails.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Murphy-Marsh, Leigh"
        <Leigh.Murphy-Marsh@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > aging.
        > >
        > > Read the various files in the library (Murtagh, Arroyo etc.)
        > > regarding cuts for rum.
        > >

        > > HTH
        > > Slainte!
        > > regards Harry
        > >

        > great. thanks again. ill be trying the rum in the near future and
        > will let you know how it turned out. made a small continous still
        > and didnt like it. abv% to low on first run. time saved by not
        > having to recharge the boiler and then reheat everything wasnt
        worth
        > the loss of quality... im a quality man not a quanity man!! ive
        > posted some pics of my first still i built and some of the
        > modifications i made to get 90+ abv out of it. have a look if you
        > please, just keep in mind it is the first one i built.
        >

        > This message and any attached files may contain information that
        is confidential and/or subject of legal privilege intended only for
        use by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient
        or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended
        recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error
        and that any dissemination, copying or use of this message or
        attachment is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure of the
        information therein. If you have received this message in error
        please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.