Re: [new_distillers] Spiral Type Condensing Head (Alex --- Help!)

  • _{*L*}_
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
      Hello, ab (sorry I could not name you).
      You made my heart melt and I will go out of my ways to answer your questions.
      1. The tubing diameter should be not less than 1/2"
      2. The cooling winding diameter should be not less than 8". A common cooking pot will suit nicely to roll the tubing.
      3. The number of windings should be not less than 8. This should give you the total length of 1/2" copper tubing 16.75 feet. I guess 20 foot standard roll will fit nicely for this task. Vertical spacing of this tubing should be approximately 1/4" clear.
      4. It is fair to say that some reflux will happen indeed with this setup.
      5. The only problem I see is that nobody yet has made this design yet.
      When I was publishing this sketch I was (and still) thinking about a solar driven distillation unit which is completely free of the energy sources. I was thinking something toward the solar furnace and air-cooled still.
      If you have tenacity to make and test it would you please post the results and the pictures please?
      With warm regards, Alex ... aka BOKAKOB

      aborzachtd <aborza@...> wrote:
      Alex,
      I find your air cooled Spiral Head design most beautiful and am interested in making a Mini-Still sized version with an air cooled Spiral Head. A couple of questions though.
      1. Could you spec the dimensions of the tubing, number of windings, and coil dimensions suitable for a 1 1/2" or 2" dia refux column about 3-4' tall?
      2. Is is fair to say that even with the 1/4" needle valve fully open there will still be some reflex action going on because some of the condensate will run past the valve?
      3. Any problems with the Spiral Head design that should make me re-think using that design? I can see the coil is hanging in the air above the mash pot (and its heating source) and wonder how damaging
      that will be. Thanks for your help
      ab

      _{*L*}_
      Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
      http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

    • aborzachtd
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2006
        Alex,

        Thanks for the reply.

        BYW, I see great beauty in simplicity and in form following function.
        In this design, I see both. And with no need for additional hoses and
        water usage I see aditional beauty. It all looks great to me and if
        efficiency is high, I cannot see how this design can be topped.

        I am in the process of getting together materials to build the Spiral
        Type system. I will see how it goes.

        Since you are willing to help, I have more questions. I hope they are
        not too burdensome.

        1. You say in your drawing that the reflex column should be insulated
        but not "above the cap." I am not sure what that means. Do you mean
        the column up to the top cap where the reflex comes back into the
        column should be insulated but the spiral condenser and its
        connection to the column should not be insulated?

        2. Why should the column be insulated at all? What is the practical
        reason for the insulation?

        3. You say that test runs should be made un-insulated and after the
        test runs the column should be insulated. But it seems to me that
        test runs should be done under the same conditions as when used.
        Otherwise, it seems to me, if you calibrate and set reflux while
        testing, and then insulate, the reflux ratio will change. I guess I
        am confused.

        4. Will there be any problem if I come into the cap from the top? I
        am thinking of using a 90 deg. fitting off the condenser and coming
        in through the top of the cap. This will allow me to center the
        reflux on to the packing more accurately. Are there any potential
        problems with that plan?

        5. I am thinking of using a larger tube for the takeoff side of the
        system. That and the associated larger valve should allow more flow
        in the full open condition and therefore allow a greater ability to
        accurately set reflux (less distillate will go past the 1/4" output
        pipe). Any problems with this idea?

        6. My greatest concern at this time is the weight of the spiral
        condenser. I have not built any reflex design previously (only pot
        stills) so I have no idea how much the other condenser designs weigh.
        But it seems to me that this condenser design weighs a great deal
        more than your other designs and will therefore be more liable to tip
        over. Am I right about that? Or does the weight of water hoses,
        water, collection cup and related parts result in about the same
        weight?

        7. Due to availability, I will be using 1 1/2" tubing for the column.
        What would you suggest is the ideal height for a 1 1/2" column?

        8. What is the ideal temperature on the installed thermometer for
        reflex mode? How about for pot-still (non-reflex) mode?

        I hope these questions are not too numerous or burdensome and I do
        appreciate any help you will give. You have already helped me a great
        deal, not only by your prior answers, but by making wonderful designs
        available to all.

        So again, I say thank you, for myself and for others who have
        benefited from your designs.

        ab

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2006
          Here are some answers to your questions:

          You interpret correct. Insulation is beneficial only where you have packing material.
          The practical reason for insulation is a)economics b)better reflux process
          Test run with water is not important, it is mostly to clean and to spot leaks.
          As long as the principle of the schematic says the same it is immaterial where the reflux/vapor spigot will be located.
          I think 0.25” needle valve is sufficient for the job. You are mixing the necessary reflux in the main column with the insignificant cooling reflux in the spiral part.
          Yes, you are right. The system will be less stable. Also, turns will be very flexible. You may want using simple copper wire rods to solder turns into something more rigid.
          For 1.5” tubing I would target the column height between 20~24 inches.
          The temperature for reflux operation must be 78*C period. For pot stilling it depends on stage of the take off.
          One concern – I am not sure about cooling capacity of this still. It may be necessary to provide a sort of fan or other means of cooling. A smooth pipe is not the ideal for cooling. Perhaps some sorts of fins would be required.
          Again – this is untested “concept” design which should work in principle. Unfortunately I can not estimate the cooling capacity of this still. Here you are on your own.