Re: do continous stills clog???

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2006
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...> wrote:

      > im tired of doing a run with my still and when done with this run
      > having to waste the time and heat generated to resupply the
      boiler. i
      > suppose i could get a larger boiler but ame interested in doing
      the
      > continous method. i know how to build it but heard reports of
      clogging
      > the packing.
      >
      > does this realy happen??
      >

      > happy stillin,
      > kirtgk

      Yes it does. But it depends on how thin your feed is and what your
      skills as a stillman are (see previous answer about running rum).
      Continuous stills aren't 'off-the-shelf' coffee percolators.
      Maintenance is an ongoing thing, but for hobby-sized apparatus
      the 'continuous' concept is only over a few hours/days and therefore
      you will have the chance to clean the packing when you run out of
      wash to feed it. Commercial continuous stills run for many months
      and usually incorporate some sort of 'self-cleaning' into the design.