do continous stills clog???

  • kirtgk
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2006
      im tired of doing a run with my still and when done with this run
      having to waste the time and heat generated to resupply the boiler. i
      suppose i could get a larger boiler but ame interested in doing the
      continous method. i know how to build it but heard reports of clogging
      the packing.

      does this realy happen??

      happy stillin,
      kirtgk
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...> wrote:

        > im tired of doing a run with my still and when done with this run
        > having to waste the time and heat generated to resupply the
        boiler. i
        > suppose i could get a larger boiler but ame interested in doing
        the
        > continous method. i know how to build it but heard reports of
        clogging
        > the packing.
        >
        > does this realy happen??
        >

        > happy stillin,
        > kirtgk

        Yes it does. But it depends on how thin your feed is and what your
        skills as a stillman are (see previous answer about running rum).
        Continuous stills aren't 'off-the-shelf' coffee percolators.
        Maintenance is an ongoing thing, but for hobby-sized apparatus
        the 'continuous' concept is only over a few hours/days and therefore
        you will have the chance to clean the packing when you run out of
        wash to feed it. Commercial continuous stills run for many months
        and usually incorporate some sort of 'self-cleaning' into the design.