Re: Plum Brandy

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2006
      Keep in mind the stills there have a mechanical paddle to stir the
      pulp so that it does not burn. Pressing the pulp would be an alternative.
      Note the 's' is missing in

      sljivovica, sliwowica
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Petrinec <crazycro2@...>
      > Slivovitz (European Plum Brandy) From Homedistiller Slivovitz
      (Croatian: "Slivovitz" SerboCroatian: ljivovica, Polish : liwowica,
      both pronounced roughly like "shlee-vo-vee-tsah"; Romanian: þuicã,
      pãlincã or ºliboviþã) is a strong aromatic alcoholic beverage made of
      distilled fermented plum juice. It is similar to brandy and sometimes
      called plum brandy in English. It's one of the liquors known as raki
      or rakija. The beverage originated in the Balkan Peninsula; the name
      derives from the South Slavic word for a plum, šljiva. Production is
      concentrated in Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Poland,
      Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, and to a lesser extent in Austria, Germany,
      Italy and elsewhere. The majority being by the MARASKA Distilleries in
      > It is the national drink of Croatia, where about 70% of plum
      production (average 424,300 tonnes per year; FAO Stat, av 1991/2001)
      goes into slivovitz.
      > The alcohol content varies from 40-70% by volume.
      > The Kosher version of Slivovitz, like some of the other rakijas,
      is kept in wooden barrels (oak or mulberry) for an extra aroma and the
      colour (golden yellow) Although the majority of Slivovitz is not aged
      in wood, and is clear in color.
      > Rakija is supposed to be drunk from the special small glasses.
      > There is a traditional slivovitz recipe in the Brandy recipes that
      originated in the cities of Zageb, and Zadar Croatia and has passed
      down many generations.
      > Retrieved from "http://www.homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Slivovitz"
      > Slivovitz (Croatian plum brandy) Ingredients
      > 50 Gallon drum full of soft, ripe dark plums
      > Water
      > Fill 50 gallon drum 6" from the top with soft, ripe plums.
      > Top off with water (warm-cool water, you don't want to kill the
      yeast with hot water). Cover drum and let ferment on wild yeast.
      > After a couple days try to mash the plums to the bottom of the
      barrel with 3-4' oak plank.
      > Let ferment to about 5%abv.
      > Strain liquid off the pulp and pits (but make sure to save the
      pulp), and pour liquid into a potstill.
      > Run the first run fast and collect everything until it is coming
      out of the still at the potency of wine.
      > Put all of the pulp that was saved into a smaller drum, and add
      all of the collected distillate to it. Let sit for about 2
      weeks(stirring gently,daily),
      > then strain liquid off pulp (this time discard the pulp) and run
      through potstill again. Discard foreshots, and collect everything
      until the distillate coming out drops below 35%. Filter, and age at
      least 3 months. Then water to 40% and bottle/drink.
      > This is a strong spirit, with a burn to it. I have known many
      people that do not care for it, but it is a tradition that has been
      carried on and mastered by few distilleries in Europe.