Re: Earthenware jars

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
      wrote:

      > Has anyone used glazed earthenware jars for aging? I have a
      couple of
      > two gallon buggers but am a bit unsure of them even though we do
      our
      > olives in them every year and we still seem normal normal normal
      > nomal...blanikdog

      A knowledgeable friend of mine has used 'em. Claims good results.
      Says earthenware demijohns 'breathe'. (I've drunk his rum & I ain't
      dead yet so I'm inclined to agree with him). :-)

      Be aware that you may pick up flavours from whatever was in the jars
      (like your olives?). Ethanol is a superb solvent, so you may want
      to soak 'em for a while in spirit & then keep that lot for
      redistilling. Then you can use the jars to age.

    • waljaco
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2006
        Some Lebanese arak is aged in earthenware jars (unglazed) - thus
        there is some evaporation loss like in oak casks. Glazing would
        prevent evaporation.
        wal