What Happened to my middle run? (second run)

  • macmccaskie@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
      What Happened to my middle run?

      I am now just finishing a second run that has me puzzled.. I've heard
      here that each still is different, but the behavior of mine has mine
      scratching my head. I had combined two first runs, added water to cover
      elements with some baking soda.

      I equalized mine with full reflux, drew off the forshots at 56-66 C and
      pitched it. I turned power down and it stabilized at 66-67, which I
      drew off quite a bit (84 abv). I thought this would be the heads. I
      kept the power down (read, kept fiddling) as it rose to 68C. I kept
      reflux high, then it rose quickly to 81C, so I turned power down to let
      it stabilize at 68 again. At that point I opened reflux (none at this
      point) with power still down. It stabilized for a while, then rose
      again to 81C and eventually 87C.

      From what I'd heard, it "should" have stabilized around 78C for the body.

      Can someone clue me in? Please?

      Mac
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "macmccaskie@..."
        <macmccaskie@...> wrote:

        > What Happened to my middle run?
        >
        > I am now just finishing a second run that has me puzzled.. I've
        heard
        > here that each still is different, but the behavior of mine has
        mine
        > scratching my head. I had combined two first runs, added water to
        cover
        > elements with some baking soda.
        >
        > I equalized mine with full reflux, drew off the forshots at 56-66
        C and
        > pitched it. I turned power down and it stabilized at 66-67, which
        > drew off quite a bit (84 abv). I thought this would be the
        heads. I
        > kept the power down (read, kept fiddling) as it rose to 68C. I
        kept
        > reflux high, then it rose quickly to 81C, so I turned power down
        to let
        > it stabilize at 68 again. At that point I opened reflux (none at
        this
        > point) with power still down. It stabilized for a while, then
        rose
        > again to 81C and eventually 87C.
        >
        > From what I'd heard, it "should" have stabilized around 78C for
        the body.

        > Can someone clue me in? Please?
        >
        > Mac

        Sounds to me like you have returning reflux (somewhat cooled)
        contacting your thermometer probe and interfering with true
        measurement. Look at the placement, shielding etc. of the
        thermometer.

        The only other possible explanations are:
        1) Extremely high altitude. Boiling points drop 1°F for every 500
        feet above sea level.
        2) Badly calibrated thermometer. Recalibrate with known constants
        i.e. ice and boiling water.

        p.s.
        If asked to wager, my money's on the returning reflux.