Earthenware jars

  • sonum norbu
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
      Has anyone used glazed earthenware jars for aging? I have a couple of
      two gallon buggers but am a bit unsure of them even though we do our
      olives in them every year and we still seem normal normal normal
      nomal...blanikdog

      > ---
      > >

      > > "Most of the troubles of the world are caused by human beings".
      > (Shakyamuni Buddha)
      > >
      > > SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
      > > http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
      > > IRC server tessnet.cx
      > >
      > > --

      Service.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
        wrote:

        > Has anyone used glazed earthenware jars for aging? I have a
        couple of
        > two gallon buggers but am a bit unsure of them even though we do
        our
        > olives in them every year and we still seem normal normal normal
        > nomal...blanikdog

        A knowledgeable friend of mine has used 'em. Claims good results.
        Says earthenware demijohns 'breathe'. (I've drunk his rum & I ain't
        dead yet so I'm inclined to agree with him). :-)

        Be aware that you may pick up flavours from whatever was in the jars
        (like your olives?). Ethanol is a superb solvent, so you may want
        to soak 'em for a while in spirit & then keep that lot for
        redistilling. Then you can use the jars to age.

      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2006
          Some Lebanese arak is aged in earthenware jars (unglazed) - thus
          there is some evaporation loss like in oak casks. Glazing would
          prevent evaporation.
          wal