Mini Still, cooling coil for a 2 inch dia, column.

  • mavnkaf
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2006
      Hi group,

      Today I got,
      - a 1 meter 50 mm copper tube.

      - 8 meters of quarter inch copper tube. ( next story )

      - a 50 mm sink fitting with slip nut. (second hand)

      - the bit that connects the column to the sink fitting came from a
      old copper S bend with a unusal sealing connector. (second hand)
      And soldered on, not very straight I might add. See my photo's,
      under marc.

      - 2 brass quarter inch to 3/8 connectors and a bit of 3/8 copper
      tube and all fluted for cooling coil to suit plastic water hoses.

      - a tin of 100 gram "yorkshire" flux, contains Zinc choloride
      27%. ? FREE, it says Don't eat it, I won't.

      All of this from my local Plumber guy, total $50 aud.

      I told him striaght up what I was trying to do and he, Kevin was all
      keen to help, in fact the second I told him that it was a still the
      price of things droped. NON PLUMBING, off the book. I told Kevin I
      will drop by in a month or to with some thing he can taste. Alot of
      people suggest on the sites what I did. I got alot help from Kevin
      the plumber but he is the boss guy and a plumber so I think he was
      happy to get out of office and do some thing interesting. I think
      he has about 9 blokes/plumbers working for him. I' very happy!

      Cheers
      Marc
    • mavnkaf
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2006
        Hi,

        I have a 104 cm x 50 mm column, going to be a Mini Still. Planed
        for a 8 inch double wined cooling coil. I made a bunch of mistakes
        during the wine, like the inner coil no spaces then I decided it
        would a good idear to use knited cooper inbetween the first coil and
        second coil.
        At lease I thought if the knited copper would help to form a gap
        between the coils if I took it out. It looked good when I finished
        it but I relized that the knited copper had to come out as it was
        way too tight, no air flow. I got all the knited copper out and I
        used a small screw driver to pry open the inner coil.

        It looks a lot better now but it is now 10 inchs long. Is it too
        long? I'm not sure but the column has heaps of room because of the
        length of the column. The other thing that concerns me is the water
        flow, using the water tap, close to full pressure, it achieved 2.4
        liters per minute. At full pressure it would'nt be much more than
        that I think. When I turned the water on the cooling effect was
        very good.

        I loaded some pictures in the photo section under Marc, tell me what
        you think? I could unwind it down to 8 inches.

        cheers
        Marc

        I did'nt get to finish the post below, thats why it had a
        inappropriate subject title.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

        > Hi group,
        >
        > Today I got,
        > - a 1 meter 50 mm copper tube.
        >
        > - 8 meters of quarter inch copper tube. ( next story )
        >
        > - a 50 mm sink fitting with slip nut. (second hand)
        >
        > - the bit that connects the column to the sink fitting came from a
        > old copper S bend with a unusal sealing connector. (second hand)
        > And soldered on, not very straight I might add. See my photo's,
        > under marc.
        >
        > - 2 brass quarter inch to 3/8 connectors and a bit of 3/8 copper
        > tube and all fluted for cooling coil to suit plastic water hoses.
        >
        > - a tin of 100 gram "yorkshire" flux, contains Zinc choloride
        > 27%. ? FREE, it says Don't eat it, I won't.
        >
        > All of this from my local Plumber guy, total $50 aud.
        >
        > I told him striaght up what I was trying to do and he, Kevin was
        all
        > keen to help, in fact the second I told him that it was a still
        the
        > price of things droped. NON PLUMBING, off the book. I told Kevin
        > will drop by in a month or to with some thing he can taste. Alot
        of
        > people suggest on the sites what I did. I got alot help from
        Kevin
        > the plumber but he is the boss guy and a plumber so I think he was
        > happy to get out of office and do some thing interesting. I think
        > he has about 9 blokes/plumbers working for him. I' very happy!
        >
        > Cheers
        > Marc

      • _{*L*}_
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30, 2006
          Marc,

          10 inches is approx 250 mm. You would have left approx. 700 mm for the column packing. It is more than sufficient to achieve leisurely 95% abv.

          I do suggest to keep the coil wrapped with copper gauze and stuff some of it in the middle. It makes the coil/condensing fool proof and adds redundancy to the system.

          When you are going to run your still, the optimal cooling flow will be in the target of 0.5L/min (approx.) The outflow will be warm or very warm. Please don't worry about warm temperature of the spent coolant. You will be saving water, your money and this warm water would still complete the business.

          I saw the photographs -- your still and coil looks very nicely while I am getting green with envy ;-)

          _{*L*}_
          Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
          http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

        • mavnkaf
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 30, 2006
            Hi Alex,

            Thanks for replying, I'm glad you approve, I've sort have mangled
            your original design. I hope you don't mind? I know with kit
            planes, designer hate it when builders change things. Maybe it
            could be called a Midi Still? Ha Ha, only joking.

            I'm relieved to hear that .5 LPM is the normal flow rate, my hose to
            the tap adapter was balloning a bit because of the pressure(@2.4
            lpm). I will replace those hose fitting with brass hose fittings.

            The pictures came out great when the copper is all shiny new, now
            that I have handled the coil a million times now the finger prints
            are tarnishing.

            Alex, when I searched the archives of new_distillers for coil
            spacing I forgot to search the distillers where you had made several
            posts about the subject. I should have knowen better to check both
            sites, for my first go at a double helix coil, I think I did ok.

            That might a good tip for newbies which I'm still one, search the
            archive first on both sites!

            There is one more question that has me stumped, I see some other
            Mini still's that have the top baffle that directs the liquid to
            collecting plate soldered in permently, is there any difference to
            having the baffle soldered on the cooling coil? My guess is that
            having the directing baffle on the coil would make it easier to
            clean. But have that baffle soldered in would mean the coil could
            be rotated in any direction with out a problem. It may not matter
            at all as it might just be a variable. Flip the coin? Thanks Alex
            I hope this post is not tooo long winded.

            Cheers
            Marc

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 31, 2006
              Marc, if you solder the top plate to the coil there are some advantages:
              - no need for another slit cut in the column
              - easier to solder outside then inside
              - easier to maintain both the top and the bottom plates
              The only drawback, no not the drawback but inconvenience, I see is that the coil must be properly oriented. However when the coil is wrapped with the copper gauze it sits inside the pipe really tightly. Have fun, Marc... Regards, Alex aka BOKAKOB