column temperature?

  • steve a
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2000
      Hi

      My name is Steve and im also new to distilling, ive
      been making beer for a few years and i thought it was
      time to step up a level.

      Ive been reading what i can on distilling and i come
      across some conflicting information and i was
      wondering if any one can help. I purchased a cheap 5
      litre still to start off with and in the directions it
      said not to let the column temperature go above 92
      degrees. Im confused because im also building a larger
      better quality still and in the directions for that
      still it says don't let the temperature in the column
      go over 80 degrees. Can some tell me which is correct
      or is there different temperatures for different
      stills. I was under the impression that different
      temperatures in the column produce different
      substances from the wash ( methanol, propanol ect).
      What should the correct temperature be ?

      Any advise would be appreciated.

      Thanks Guys and Gals

      http://im.yahoo.com/