Re: [new_distillers] Re: Boiler Thermometers

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 22, 2006
      I use a digital bbq thermometer with a remote control that works well
      up to about 100 feet away.
      The interesting part for me is determining what temp. to set the
      remote for on boilup.
      I want to achieve equilibrium around 76 degrees C with the pump
      running and all that good stuff.
      Usually when I put all the liquid stuff in the boiler and fire it up
      with 4000watts of power, the thermometer is at about 11 degrees C.
      Then it drops a degree or so for a while.
      I have found that I should not set the alarm for anything more than
      about 20 degrees C.
      At 20 degrees C at the top of a 3 foot column, the liquid in the
      boiler is damn close to boiling. From 20 degrees to 76 degrees takes
      anywhere from 60 to about 180 seconds. That isn't long. So, Unless
      I relish the thought of valuable product roaring up the column and
      blowing my safety plug, then it's best to cut the power way back once
      it is in the low 20's, get the water running and then fine tune the
      power with my variac to bring it up to 75 degrees C. That all takes
      5-10 minutes max.
      I cannot imagine not having that great little digital thermometer.
      At 12:34 PM 3/22/2006, you wrote:

      >If you're using a remote thermometer, you could try a remote type like
      >those sold at some aquarium supplies. It incorperates an ajustable
      >thermostat relay that would switch on the pump when the temp. setting is
      >reached.
      >

      >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BigRon BigRon <rrp333ron@...>
      >wrote:
      > >
      > > I went to wally world and got a remote thermometer the ones that you
      >use in the oven, it has about 3 feet of wire attaching it to the probe,
      >I put that in the stopper in the top of the column and set the alarm to
      >go off at 145 then i switch on the pumps when it goes off and then i set
      >it for 183 when i run reflux and 205 when i run it as a pot
      > > seems to work pretty darn good for me
      > >

      > > burpleson_afb pludasher@... wrote:
      > > I've always found the most reliable signal that it's time to
      > > fire up the pumps is the appearance of vapor at the top of the column
      > > or the take-off. "When the kettle starts wistl'n it's boil'n".

      > > Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational
      >culture Distillers

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Derek