Re: [new_distillers] Re: Wash/Mash success... and some further questions.

  • donald holcombe
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21, 2006
      I find that cornmeal gelatinizes at about 130F. cracked or whole corn can be taken up to 195F to break it down. I dont try to lauter high corn or wheat mash . I ferment on the grain then let it settle. Dip the liquid off,then leave the fermenter open 3-4 hour to allow sour ing. After a week I recharge with sugar ,2 Lb/Gal . Then let ferment. Some time I recharge several timesAlways makes good product.

      Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote: I would guess that corn (unless flaked) needs heating to gelatinise
      it's starches. I don't know the temp, but it's easy to check: just warm
      up in water with stirring. The viscosity increases dramatically upon
      gelatinisation. At this point, cool to usual mashing temp and stir in
      malt. after an hour you should be done. There is no point in boiling
      for hours on end. Also the mash was too thin IMO.
      corn contains 9% protien, which could be causing your lautering
      trouble. Of course it has no husk, so can't form a filter bed like malt
      does. Try adding rice hulls if you can find them cheaply.
      Cheers,
      Rob.

      --- popwahtosh <popwahtosh@...> wrote:

      Big <snip>

      Cheers,
      Rob.

      Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers