Boiler temp.

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 19 10:36 AM
      I have a valved reflux column still that seems to work as it should
      having built it from different ideas from the group. I was wondering if
      there is any advantage of knowing the boiler temp. The head temp. is
      just what everyone said it would be as far as tails, heads, foreshots,
      ect.
    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 20 10:05 AM
        More info = more fun/confusion. Knowing what the bottom of the column
        is doing (ie the boiler) tells you how hard you are pushing the
        separation stage (ie the column). If it's a liquid management system,
        then you can do witout. If you want to use it as a long pot still, then
        it might be useful.
        I'm currently thinking about installing a probe in the boiler
        headspace, but am dithering because I might want one 1/2 -2/3 way up
        the column. At that point I might as well plug everything into a
        computer!
        Cheers
        Rob.

        --- Tim <shippeyt@...> wrote:

        > I have a valved reflux column still that seems to work as it should
        > having built it from different ideas from the group. I was wondering
        > if
        > there is any advantage of knowing the boiler temp. The head temp. is
        > just what everyone said it would be as far as tails, heads,
        > foreshots,
        > ect.

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • _{*L*}_
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 20 10:15 AM
          Tim, from academic point of view, of course, you can have a thermometer fitted in the boiler. It will show you some temperature change according to alcohol/water solution ratio.

          However, the change will be very subtle with narrow diapason of changes. This change will not tell you anything more compared to the thermometer fitted near the top.

          Unless you want more metal work done and a new gadget on your rig to impress people, there is no need for this thermometer.

          Tim <shippeyt@...> wrote:
          I have a valved reflux column still that seems to work as it should having built it from different ideas from the group. I was wondering if there is any advantage of knowing the boiler temp. The head temp. is
          just what everyone said it would be as far as tails, heads, foreshots,
          ect.

          _{*L*}_
          Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
          http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

        • diskmaster23
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 20 11:58 AM
            A question just popped in my head....Where could you get a thermometer
            that you could put in the column or at the top of the column?

            Dave

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, _{*L*}_ <bokakob@...> wrote:

            > Tim, from academic point of view, of course, you can have a
            thermometer fitted in the boiler. It will show you some temperature
            change according to alcohol/water solution ratio.

            > However, the change will be very subtle with narrow diapason of
            changes. This change will not tell you anything more compared to the
            thermometer fitted near the top.

            > Unless you want more metal work done and a new gadget on your rig
            to impress people, there is no need for this thermometer.

            > Tim <shippeyt@...> wrote:
            > I have a valved reflux column still that seems to work as it
            should having built it from different ideas from the group. I was
            wondering if there is any advantage of knowing the boiler temp. The
            head temp. is
            > just what everyone said it would be as far as tails, heads, foreshots,
            > ect.
            >
            > _{*L*}_
            > Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
            > http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

          • stevolate
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 20 11:59 AM
              Hi Tim
              I always have a temp probe in the boiler, it is great to know
              when it will boil and the vapour will shoot up the column. If you use
              the same mash the temp is identical each time. With second
              distillations it is much lower but also repeatable.
              Much better than guessing when it will boil. It also lets you know
              when it is not worth collecting any more as the closer it gets to 100c
              the slower the collection rate. You can decide on a temp you are happy
              to stop at as it gets to slow.
              I keep detailed notes on every run and can repeat with the same temps.
              It is great to know that a turbo wash will boil at 88.1 and a second
              distillation at 83.5. Also that by the time the boiler gets to 99.1 it
              is not worth the time to extract the last remaining ethanol.
              Just my opinion.

              Happy drinking

              Stevo

              > I have a valved reflux column still that seems to work as it should
              > having built it from different ideas from the group. I was wondering if
              > there is any advantage of knowing the boiler temp. The head temp. is
              > just what everyone said it would be as far as tails, heads, foreshots,
              > ect.

            • Sam Thomas
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 20 12:28 PM
                I have one in the head space just above my boiler. It's great when you're trying to control the boiler temp.

                Tim <shippeyt@...> wrote: I have a valved reflux column still that seems to work as it should
                having built it from different ideas from the group. I was wondering if
                there is any advantage of knowing the boiler temp. The head temp. is
                just what everyone said it would be as far as tails, heads, foreshots,
                ect.

                Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

                ---------------------------------

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 20 12:48 PM
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Sam Thomas <bob_the_borg@...>
                  wrote:

                  It's great when you're trying to control the boiler temp.

                  You got a flamesuit handy? ;-))

                • Sam Thomas
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 20 1:30 PM
                    Hush you, before we blow up the levees and flood your town.

                    ;)

                    Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote: --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Sam Thomas <bob_the_borg@...>

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 20 5:14 PM
                      Here we go again, Yiet Another Boiler Temperature Control Thread (YABTCT)

                      Sam Thomas <bob_the_borg@...> wrote: I have one in the head space just above my boiler. It's great when you're trying to control the boiler temp.

                      _{*L*}_
                      Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
                      http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                    • morganfield1
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 20 6:23 PM
                        Hi Tim,
                        I have one in the boiler, the thing I really like about it, it tell's
                        me when the boiler is coming up to boil. I don't have to needlessly
                        run the cooling water for an hour! Column effitiency, abv of the wash
                        at present, all good to know. That being said, it's not neccesary.
                        Tip one, Morgan (slipping into my flack jacket!)

                        P.S. The real reason, it impresses the ladies!

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <shippeyt@...> wrote:

                        > I have a valved reflux column still that seems to work as it should
                        > having built it from different ideas from the group. I was wondering
                        if
                        > there is any advantage of knowing the boiler temp. The head temp. is
                        > just what everyone said it would be as far as tails, heads,
                        foreshots,
                        > ect.

                      • Brendan Keith
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 21 5:06 AM
                          Any cooking thermometer is suitable. Digital vs analog is a personal
                          choice.

                          --
                          Brendan Keith
                          bkeith@...