New to distilling

  • geeperscrow
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 16, 2006
      Hi all, I'm currently Making a valved refluv distiller I've found some
      great info online. I only have one concern PRESSURE in the boiler. I
      can't seem to find any info on this. I was thinking about putting a
      relief valve on it. 20lbs or so. can anyone help in this
      area. Thank you Crow.
    • Derek Hamlet
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 16, 2006
        Most folk solder a 1/4" or 3/8" copper pipe somewhere near the top of
        the column. They put a cork or................(I use a form ear
        plug) in the pipe. If for some reason there is pressure build up, it
        will blow the cork and allow the vapors to escape.
        Keep in mind that if you are doing your distilling inside and you
        possibly heat with propane that a blown pressure valve will be
        putting highly flammable gases into your workspace. Try explaining
        the resulting explosion to your fire chief or insurance agent.
        At 03:02 PM 3/16/2006, you wrote:
        >Hi all, I'm currently Making a valved refluv distiller I've found some
        >great info online. I only have one concern PRESSURE in the boiler. I
        >can't seem to find any info on this. I was thinking about putting a
        >relief valve on it. 20lbs or so. can anyone help in this
        >area. Thank you Crow.

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Derek
      • greg tufts
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 17, 2006
          I drilled a hole in the top of my
          column put in a food grade grommet
          and inserted my thermometer. Doesn't leak
          but would blow quite easily. Remember your still
          should NOT be under pressure,
          eg : my condensor has a hole in the top making
          it open to the air.
          cheers
          greg

          ---------------------------------

          http://archive.nnytech.net/
          http://homedistiller.org

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Derek

          New Distillers group archives are at
          http://archive.nnytech.net/
          FAQ and other information available at
          http://homedistiller.org

          Food
          and drink Home
          distilling Culture

          Culture club
          Organizational culture
          Distillers

          Terms of Service.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • tfurey7
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 17, 2006
            Crow, the reason you haven't found any information about too much
            pressure in your boiler is because the valved reflux still is an open
            ended still. Your condenser should be of a high enough capacity to
            efficiently condense all of the vapor coming to it, so you don't need
            a lid.
            The only possible way of building pressure in your boiler is having
            the packing too tight in your column. Someone from this site once told
            me that you should be able to blow air through your column after you
            pack it.
            On another subject regarding the valved reflux still, everyone I
            have spoken to all agree that the valve on the reflux line is
            unnecessary.

            Crow wrote:

            Hi all, I'm currently Making a valved refluv distiller I've found
            some
            great info online. I only have one concern PRESSURE in the boiler. I
            can't seem to find any info on this. I was thinking about putting a
            relief valve on it. 20lbs or so. can anyone help in this
            area. Thank you Crow.
          • Rod
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 18, 2006
              -
              > On another subject regarding the valved reflux still, everyone I
              > have spoken to all agree that the valve on the reflux line is
              > unnecessary.
              >

              >hi, i have built that valved reflux still that is on the website !
              and the reflux valve is important to me
              as i use it to adjust distilling temp for rum/whiskey
              by adjusting the amount of reflux i can maintain my 82.3'c
              i agree that you dont need it though IF YOUR ONLY MAKING VODKA
              cheers bull

            • Mike Young

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 18, 2006
                  Hi crow
                  If your condenser is the correct size you will not lose any
                  vapour. If the heating power is too much and the condenser not capable
                  of condensing that amount of vapour you will lose vapour and risk an
                  explosion. Increasing water flow through the condenser gives you a lot
                  of adjustment for element size. Also packing copper mesh around the
                  coils improves the cooling efficiency greatly.

                  Happy drinking

                  Stevo

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 18, 2006

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 19, 2006
                      Sorry about double post, I posted first reply and 2 hours later it was
                      not there so I posted again. Both ended up eventually arriving.

                      Happy drinking

                      Stevo
                    • tfurey7
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 20, 2006
                        Crow wrote;
                        "It should be open to the enviorment? Won't i loose a lot of vapor?
                        Thanks again for the help....Crow"

                        Crow, if your condenser is the right capacity you will not lose any
                        vapor. I didn't like the original condenser design found on the web,
                        so I changed it. My new condenser coil is of a smaller diameter,
                        double wound coil, and hangs directly in the middle of the condenser
                        housing.
                      • mikie1856
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 6, 2013
                          I have been reading for the last couple of months, I have to say it is very interesting, I am a accomplished beer maker from grain that is the only beer I will drink, my wort's that I make go up to 13% abv and I am brewing a dark lagers with an ale yeast. (sometimes I like taking a glass of wort and just drinking it before fermentation love that taste.)
                          So now I am going into making spirits, and I am all about the flavor, I have decided to make a pot still with a Thumper, now I have read that you can put fruit in the thumper for flavor........my question on this is will it work good or should I go with macerating.
                          I have another question on oak flavoring getting an oak barrel is no problem here and letting it age for 5 years.......the question I have is had anyone tried oak Spirals and how do they work?
                        • tgfoitwoods
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 7, 2013
                            Mikie,

                            As another allgrain brewer, I have to agree with you that allgrain makes wonderful beer, and your experience with it will get you better than halfway there, as far as learning about distillation.

                            I'm a little unsure, though, as to just exactly what you want to make. Your allgrain beer, brewed without hops, run through a potstill and thumper, with the thumper also filled with that beer, will make wonderful malt whiskys, which you can vary using all the techniques you now use to make different beers. If I were you, I'd first make plain (single malt) whisky, and if you decide you'd like to add some fruit notes to it, macerate a small sample before you commit an entire run. You may just find that, after aging, that whisky is too fine to mess with.

                            If you do decide to use fruit in the thumper, you can do it several different ways, and get several different results. You can put fruit juice, fruit wine, or fruit macerated in neutral in your thumper, but you'll have to experiment to see which you like.

                            I've never used oak spirals, but they should work every bit as well as the oak chips, and oak splints cut from barrel staves that I use now. Just get the oak toasted to the degree that gives you the wood flavors you desire.

                            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                          • mikie1856
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 7, 2013
                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" wrote:

                              > Mikie,
                              >
                              > As another allgrain brewer, I have to agree with you that allgrain makes
                              > wonderful beer, and your experience with it will get you better than
                              > halfway there, as far as learning about distillation.
                              >
                              > I'm a little unsure, though, as to just exactly what you want to make.
                              > Your allgrain beer, brewed without hops, run through a potstill and
                              > thumper, with the thumper also filled with that beer, will make
                              > wonderful malt whiskys, which you can vary using all the techniques you
                              > now use to make different beers. If I were you, I'd first make plain
                              > (single malt) whisky, and if you decide you'd like to add some fruit
                              > notes to it, macerate a small sample before you commit an entire run.
                              > You may just find that, after aging, that whisky is too fine to mess
                              > with.
                              >
                              > If you do decide to use fruit in the thumper, you can do it several
                              > different ways, and get several different results. You can put fruit
                              > juice, fruit wine, or fruit macerated in neutral in your thumper, but
                              > you'll have to experiment to see which you like.
                              >
                              > I've never used oak spirals, but they should work every bit as well as
                              > the oak chips, and oak splints cut from barrel staves that I use now.
                              > Just get the oak toasted to the degree that gives you the wood flavors
                              > you desire.
                              >
                              > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                              Yes Bob that is what I am looking for to do allot of test samples and find out what I like but to do a small fermentation everything I am getting from work sets me with 36 to 40 gallon tanks just some of the guys at work keep me in mind I got te other day this tank
                               http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q490/thecrazyone5/0022_zpseb5dee50.jpg
                              so I think it will come down to how much I run for each taste.
                            • tgfoitwoods
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 8, 2013
                                Mikie,

                                Nice looking tank.

                                Actually, for allgrain whiskies, large fermenters are generally
                                appropriate, because of the typically low-ABV of allgrain washes and the
                                small amount of whisky they produce. I understand that you've been
                                working with barley, which is the easiest of all grains to get lautered,
                                sparged, high ABV washes from, and I think I recall you saying that
                                you've done a 13% barley wine, but other grains are not nearly so easy
                                to work with. That's why I suggested, especially with your skill level,
                                that you start with a barley-malt whisky.

                                Once you've got that down, then you can try corn, and then more
                                difficult grains.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 11, 2013
                                  Well Bob,

                                  found the batch of beer I made though I would share
                                  Hops 2 oz Hallertau Herabrucker
                                      2 oz Saaz
                                              2 oz UK Willamette
                                  Grains
                                                 1 lb Gilbertson & page Torrefied Barley flakes
                                                  3 lb MFB Caramel Munich Malt - 80-
                                                  8 lb vienna malt
                                                   1 lb caramel pilsner malt
                                                   4 lb best malz munich malt (Made in Germany)
                                                   6 lb Canada malting 2 row pale ale
                                                   6 lb cm 2 row premium brewers malt
                                                   1 Tf&S Crystal malt I ( 42-52 asbc)
                                  Yeast
                                                  activator lager
                                  This was one of the best beers I have ever planed out, the best tasting beer I had ever made .
                                  I am planing on taking the grain and see if I can make a whiskey out of it what do you think?
                                • tgfoitwoods
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 11, 2013
                                    Hey Mikie,

                                    It's my guess that beer would make a very nice medium bodied malt whisk(e)y, with one exception. Omit the hops from a whiskey-wash beer recipe. Hops can introduce an odd flavor note that many find objectionable. To be sure, the Germans make a hopped-beer bierschnapps, but it doesn't taste like a whiskey.

                                    If you make that whiskey, keep us posted during the process.