nutrients

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 50 , Sep 25, 2000
      > i have not been able to fined "yeast
      > nutrients" locally. what, in your opinion, can i use
      > ,"from the store"

      Brian,

      Nutrients also need to be present. Yeast cells require phosphorus, nitrogen
      and potassium, as well as amino acids and vitamins, for metabolic
      processes. The extent to how much is required depends on the feedstock
      being used. The nitrogen requirement may be supplied in the form of amino
      acids or ammonia, ammonium salts or urea. If the solids are separated from
      the sugar solution prior to fermentation (or say starting only with sugar)
      the bulk of the protein will be removed, and hence a potential nitrogen
      source lost. Ammonia or ammonium salts are the preferred source of of
      additional nitrogen if its needed, however avoid using excessive amounts
      because it can kill the yeast. Both nitrogen and phosphorus can be supplied
      by ammonium phosphate (commonly available as a fertilizer). Many
      fermentations will proceed satisfactorly without vitamin suppliments bec
      ause the fermentation medium contains sufficient of these nutrients,
      however in most cases, cell growth is enhanced when B-vitamins are added.

      One recipe for nutrient ale salts is
      58 g sodium chloride (common table salt)
      170 g citric acid
      7 g ammonium sulphate
      6 g magnesium sulphate
      2.5 g grape tannin
      This mixture is hygroscopic (attracts water), so keep it in a cool dry
      place with a good lid.
      The "Great New Zealand Home Wine Making Book" suggests to ... "buy some
      ammonium sulphate or ammonium phosphate, and some pottassium phosphate or
      potassium sulphate and add 2g (1/2 teaspoon) of each to every 4.5 L.
      Another valuable addition is vitamin B1. You can buy these as tiny 3
      milligram tablets from your local chemist or pharmacy and add one of these
      each 4.5 L" ...
      Tony
      http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller

      .
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 30 6:51 AM
        Ya'll might want to start with a Topic Harry and myself discussed
        about yeast nutrients, plant food, Econo-wash and his "666" recipe
        (sign of the devil) was quite an interesting thread. See:
        with reading the rest of the the thread.

        Any other questions regarding using plant food please ask.

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.

        Hi Phil, look right above the message # and search box. Type in plant
        food and it will give you the post's Hope this helps
        Greg

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "philip_smithwick"

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gapremodeling@...>