Re: vapor and liquid managment

  • Lindsay Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2006
      A VM still has two condensers. One, the reflux condenser, is in the
      top of the column. Its job is to completely condense all vapour that
      gets to it. Between the reflux condenser and the top of the column
      packing is a take-off tube with a gate valve in it to control the
      amopunt of vapour allowed to pass. This 'escaping' vapour is then
      condensed in another condenser (usually a Liebig one) and this
      distillate is the product.

      I would thoroughly recommend purchasing the e-book "The Compleat
      Distiller" by Nixon and McCaw. It will thoroughly explain all you need
      to know (and more!). Available here http://www.amphora-society.com/

      Cheers,
      Lindsay.