Re: NEW, and I would like some help with an Item I bought-continued

  • sixgablesmobileunit
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 5, 2006
      First things firs, Thanks for answering someting;

      Next,
      OK so agreed this is an old potstill. I am glad, and was quite
      taken when it was on the table at the gun show. One thing, yes it
      is a pain to clean, only one access point, the 1 inch brass plug you
      can see in the photos. Not much to get into/out of. I have cleaned
      inside and out as best I can, but I plan on scrubbing more. Side
      note, the stove is not wood, but a corn stove. I burn corn to heat
      my home and have not turned on the natural gas yet. The top surface
      of the stove will take a pan of water and make it simmer w/o causing
      burn to the hand. I generally keep an old refrigerator collection
      pan on top and full, almost a gallon of water will be gone in a
      day. All I have to do is put about 70 lbs of corn in the back
      hopper and walk away for say 18 hours. Since I am unable to unscrew
      the top, I would have thought it would have screw in but I am unable
      to unfasten it, any suggestions on how it would unscrew? I was
      considering using a charcoal filter and or thermometer at the base
      of the arm [small end] where the second brass connection is, and a
      worm coil. I saw a site that suggested using coils going up like 8
      turns then down 8 turns. At the hardware I found several different
      T's and 90 degree fittings and was planning on using something
      there. How hot does the vapor need to be to start the process
      through the worm , [ I have seen notes on 172/173 as well as 80/95
      degrees for the fermented wash to brew]; and how hot does the
      condensed vapor need to be when it falls from the tube? How long
      would a worm tube need to be to be air cooled. Is there a magic
      number of twists you generally need to get a better proof on your
      mixture? I think this unit could not hold much more than 1 or
      possibly 1-1/2 gallons max.

      As for leaks, I do not think there are any. I can blow into the
      tube [small end] and hold the pressure for a moment and it all blows
      back at me, kind of like blowing up a baloon and letting it go.

      I have a stone 1 gallon crock thermos and was thinking of using this
      for the mash. As to the mixture; heavens knows, I do not. I have
      corn and more corn to start with, but I have also seen fruit
      mixtures and am not sure if I should start with wine and something
      and try to hop the mix up to a better brew, ie brandy? Again I am
      so new at this the plastic wrapper is still stuck on me!

      Well that is what 3 questions of the next 100 to go? You will be
      hearing from me often, and yes I hope this is fun.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Bloom <gjbloom@...>
      wrote:

      > That looks like a sweet old potstill. I don't think you need
      coils or anything else. The main thing is to be able to control the
      heat going into it so you can keep it at a low simmer. That'll
      guarantee that you are able to condense the output using just an air-
      cooled arm. (I don't recommend using the wood stove it is pictured
      on because it'd be hard to control the temp, and may also heat the
      arm). If you want to increase your proof and purity a bit (at the
      possible cost of some flavor), you could pack the "mushroom head" on
      the top with copper pot-scrubbers (being sure they're really copper,
      not copper-coated iron - i.e. a magnet won't attract them). It'd
      also be useful to add a thermometer right at the throat of the arm
      to monitor the vapor temp of what you're condensing so you know
      about where you are in the run. (Though the old-time way to make
      your cuts is just by smell and the inevitable taste or two, rather
      than a thermometer). Be sure to clean the inside with vinegar
      > and salt or something to brighten the copper. This will help
      remove trace sulfur compounds and make a much-improved flavor. One
      thing that's hard to see in your photos is how many pieces it
      disassembles into. If it's all one piece that'll be a pain to clean.

      > One other thing to pay close attention to is leaks. In a well-
      used still that old, it may not seal well at the joints. An old-
      time solution to this is to make a stiff flour and water dough and
      plug the leaks. After fooling with it a bit you can come to know
      where the leaks are and just plug them as part of your normal set-up.

      > What you can make with this is any of the naturally flavorful
      spirits such as whiskey, rum, brandy, grappa, tequila, etc. What
      you can't make is perfect vodka (unless you're willing to redistill
      about 9 times to get pure vodka). I've come to prefer the artful
      challenge of using a potstill over the scientific precision of a
      reflux column. It certainly gives a more complex product.

      > As far as where to start, I'd say have a look at the
      http://homedistiller.org site. I also recommend getting yourself a
      copy of Ian Smiley's "Making Pure Corn Whiskey" book.

      > Looks like fun!
      >

      > sixgablesmobileunit <mantle@...> wrote: Hello;
      >
      > I purchased an item at a gun show, listed in the photos section.
      > wonder if it is a pot still?
      >
      > I am thinking it is. Ok so the next like 100 questions are:
      >
      > What can I make in this unit. It is all copper with the
      exception
      > of the end with what I think is a brass coupling. The top has a
      > small opening that has a screw in fitting, assuming this is for
      > the "mixture" to go in once it has fermented.
      >
      > I do not have the coils or anything else. I looked at a hardware
      > store and found a number of fittings that probably would
      interlock
      > in the fitting on the end of the unit. So the next question is
      does
      > this unit only need coils that are air cooled like 20 feet or so
      > stretched open. I do not know how many turns of the "worm" there
      > should be, especially if I am unable to run the coils in water to
      > cool them down.
      >
      > One thing was mentioned that this unit was used often by the old
      > timmer, but he was going into assisted living with his wife and
      got
      > rid of it. It has been used up to possibly 20 years ago. The
      guy I
      > bought it off of said it was painted with 4 different colors
      before
      > he got down to the patena, and I scrubbed it up with bar keeper's
      > friend. I need to scrub some more on it.
      >
      > Besides the coils, what else am I missing from this unit? I
      would
      > like to give it a go and see what happens. I do not know about
      the
      > receipe or anything to use to start it out or length of time. I
      > understand there is a fermenting process to do first then the
      actual
      > still use later.
      >
      > Anyone want to suggest help here?

      > Food and
      drink Home
      distilling
      Culture
      Culture club
      Organizational culture
      Distillers

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------

    • Gregory Bloom
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 6, 2006
        A corn stove, huh? That'd be kinda cool - burning corn to boil your corn mash. If it's a steady source of heat, then the only question is how you might make it a bit warmer or cooler as needed. Since cleaning is a problem, you'll mant to be sure it doesn't get hot enough to scorch a layer on the bottom, which could become more-or-less permanent. Maybe placing it in the simmering pan of water would be a good idea.

        Also, I don't think you need a worm if your arm is sticking out away from the heat of your stove. Just a few degrees temperature difference between the start and finish of the arm should be enough to condense your vapors. But adding a worm won't hurt anything, and it might help deliver the product to a more convenient collection spot and make your product a bit cooler before it goes into your collection jar. As for how many turns, it's purely a matter of how much heat you need to dissapate. The advantage of having more cooling is that you can drive your still with more heat and shorten your run times (but also make the divisions between 'heads', 'hearts' and 'tails' less distinct). If it were my still, I'd try a run without adding anything and decide what it needs from there. A thermometer at the output of the arm isn't going to tell you much. The meaningful temperature is of the vapor as it enters the arm. If it's a single-piece unit then it doesn't sound like leaks are any
        concern. Since it sound's like you're up to your ears in corn (sorry) you'd probably be most interested in doing a pure corn mash. You can malt some (or perhaps all) of the corn you'll use, to get the amalyse converting the starch into fermentable sugars, then mash it up with some yeast. You'll be doing yourself a favor to get a copy of Ian Smiley's book. It's only 182 pages, but loaded with good info.

        wrote:

> [...]
        > cool them down.
        >
        > One thing was mentioned that this unit was used often by the old
        > timmer, but he was going into assisted living with his wife and
        got
        > rid of it. It has been used up to possibly 20 years ago. The
        guy I
        > bought it off of said it was painted with 4 different colors
        before
        > he got down to the patena, and I scrubbed it up with bar keeper's
        > friend. I need to scrub some more on it.
        >
        > Besides the coils, what else am I missing from this unit? I
        would
        > like to give it a go and see what happens. I do not know about
        the
        > receipe or anything to use to start it out or length of time. I
        > understand there is a fermenting process to do first then the

        drink Home
        distilling
        Culture
        Culture club
        Organizational culture
        Distillers

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------

        Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

        ---------------------------------

      • pugs2510
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 6, 2006
          cool still ,,all you really need is 1 gallon water one pound corn meal
          and 1 pound suger add some yeast . let it sit till she stops bubbling (
          keep 70 and 80 degrees). . strain liquid pore into your little still .
          heat with vary low heat . stop collecting when a spoon full does not
          burn (somewhere not near still ) go slow you have and old school still
          on your hands . way cool just like grand dad usta have .
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sixgablesmobileunit"
          <mantle@...> wrote:

          > Hello;
          >
          > I purchased an item at a gun show, listed in the photos section. I
          > wonder if it is a pot still?
          >
          > I am thinking it is. Ok so the next like 100 questions are:
          >
          > What can I make in this unit. It is all copper with the exception
          > of the end with what I think is a brass coupling. The top has a
          > small opening that has a screw in fitting, assuming this is for
          > the "mixture" to go in once it has fermented.
          >
          > I do not have the coils or anything else. I looked at a hardware
          > store and found a number of fittings that probably would interlock
          > in the fitting on the end of the unit. So the next question is does
          > this unit only need coils that are air cooled like 20 feet or so
          > stretched open. I do not know how many turns of the "worm" there
          > should be, especially if I am unable to run the coils in water to
          > cool them down.
          >
          > One thing was mentioned that this unit was used often by the old
          > timmer, but he was going into assisted living with his wife and got
          > rid of it. It has been used up to possibly 20 years ago. The guy I
          > bought it off of said it was painted with 4 different colors before
          > he got down to the patena, and I scrubbed it up with bar keeper's
          > friend. I need to scrub some more on it.
          >
          > Besides the coils, what else am I missing from this unit? I would
          > like to give it a go and see what happens. I do not know about the
          > receipe or anything to use to start it out or length of time. I
          > understand there is a fermenting process to do first then the actual
          > still use later.
          >
          > Anyone want to suggest help here?

        • donald holcombe
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 7, 2006
            What about malt or enzymes or mashing ? This is just wasting cornmeal.

            pugs2510 <pugs2510@...> wrote: cool still ,,all you really need is 1 gallon water one pound corn meal

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 7, 2006
              OK in addition to the last few comments that have beens said about
              the pot still I have. TODAY, I just found out that it does come
              appart, when I took a rubber mallet and knocked against the top.
              The entire thing was very tightly sealed and did not screw on or off
              but friction fit. OK now we have a definate winner! This opens up
              several things;

              1. The pot still is coated on the inside, and all of the joints
              have been sweated/soldered. Over the joint manufacture, a coating
              has been placed kind of like nickel and has some crust on it that I
              have cleaned off. Surprise? Has anyone else ever seen anything
              like this before? Seamed joints on the outside and sweated/soldered
              on the inside and coated? This is not a home job, but a
              professional built unit. I can now pack the mushroom head with the
              copper pads. What is the benefit of this process?

              2. The valve on top now comes into play. I have been told to look
              at putting a thermometer in the unit. well I can see what this 1
              inch threaded hole was used.

              3a. Since I can now get inside the unit and clean it, the next
              question is:
              The small batch receipe given to me; when the mixture is
              fermented first, and seperated out, I was instructed to use a low
              temp to distill with the wash. So what is a low temp? Are we
              talking 80 degrees or 180 or what? As for malting, when is this
              added and is this sprouted grain dryed first or is it green when
              added to the fermentation pot? I will not be using corn meal as I
              burn corn and have access to shelled corn.

              3b. Also I never got a real answer to the number of twists of the
              coil or direction. There is a brass screw type connection at the end
              of the arm and I assume it went for a traditional water bath type of
              coil placement system below the height of still. I can see a band
              mark on the bottom of the still where someone used a round frame to
              hold it probably over a fire. I plan on trying to keep the coils
              above the unit since I have no access to a water bath. I seem to
              recall on a couple to TV shows something about if the coil twists
              were tight then the brew was better-is this true? I want to run the
              coils straight up from a 90 degree angle connection toward the
              ceiling about 9 twists of a Spaumante bottle then angle it downward
              slightly for probably 10 inches and add about 6 additional twists of
              the same diameter to the floor but never going really past where the
              end of the arm is; now is that acceptable?

              4. A really big question, considering this whole thing might just
              blow up, What do I "drip" the coil into? An open container or
              something closed? I am assuming I should use stoneware or glass,
              but again I have no idea.

              Thanks for the response already. I am very happy I picked this up
              at the gun show. I think it was the jewl in the rough so to speak.
              I want to thank those who have answered already!

              wrote:

> [...]
              > cool them down.
              >
              > One thing was mentioned that this unit was used often by the old
              > timmer, but he was going into assisted living with his wife and
              got
              > rid of it. It has been used up to possibly 20 years ago. The
              guy I
              > bought it off of said it was painted with 4 different colors
              before
              > he got down to the patena, and I scrubbed it up with bar keeper's
              > friend. I need to scrub some more on it.
              >
              > Besides the coils, what else am I missing from this unit? I
              would
              > like to give it a go and see what happens. I do not know about
              the
              > receipe or anything to use to start it out or length of time. I
              > understand there is a fermenting process to do first then the

              drink Home
              distilling
              Culture
              Culture club
              Organizational culture
              Distillers

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------

            • sixgablesmobileunit
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 7, 2006
                Thanks for responding! I have a couple of questions and a comment
                or two. There seems to be some idea that I should be using malted
                corn. Ok so your take on this? Also, I found out the top of the
                still does open but is very tite. I guess I just pour your mixture
                into it and go. Do I need a thermometer? As I have indicated in my
                last note, what is very low heat? I burn a corn stove, and as in
                the photos, can I just put it on there. The surface is hot to the
                touch but when I place a pan of water on top and after it warms up
                you can touch the water with out burning, but it will simmer till it
                is all gone in about a day. I need to say here, the top will not
                really get hot enough to cook on but you can not place your hand on
                it for very long.

                The receipe, is that your grandfather's, or were you just making a
                remark like "grandfather" meaning any old timmer's?

                Another thing, what is your take on cooling coils, the worm? The
                end of the arm has a brass connector for some type of cooling unit.
                I would have assumed water bath because there is a banding around
                the bottom of the unit that indicates it sat in some sort of a
                frame, and the cooling unit was probably below the unit its self.

                Thanks for responding!

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pugs2510" <pugs2510@...>

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 8, 2006
                  just a simple recipe ive played around with mashing. quit messy and
                  using only corn idont see much return for the trouble . again just a
                  simple moonshine recipe.
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe