Re: [new_distillers] Some conversion, etc....

  • donald holcombe
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2006
      Get some Iodine and test for starch. Easy Cheap and wont Lie.

      Michael Eyre <meyre@...> wrote: Brendan advises:

      >Your long hold at ~150F likely performs the gelatinization and
      conversion >simultaneously.

      Hmm. Well, according to my fast and loose calculations, it must
      have done something about conversion, because 1 lb of barley never would
      have given me a 1.028 SG in two gallons of water, but I'm pretty certain
      that the conversion wasn't complete, because I believe corn has more
      starch (i.e. more potential sugar) than barley does, and my O.G. should
      have been higher than 1.028 if the conversion had been complete. I guess
      I figure that *some* of the sugars were converted, but not all of 'em.
      Probably only the 'easy to get to' starches located on the outside of
      the kernel, perhaps?

      Mike

      Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers