Re: Pro's and con's of the Mini Still

    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 2 5:24 PM
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Verheyden"
      <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

      > Hi Lindsay,
      >
      > Thanks for your post, I'll look for it. Did you do it as a double
      > coil style? Also how much more copper would I have to use to
      > compensate for the smaller size? Sorry for the questions.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Marc

      Hi Marc,
      Never be sorry for asking questions. If you don't ask, you don't
      learn. It's that simple.

      On the subject of coils, I have a transcript from another forum. I
      don't know if it's kosher to republish, but I will give credit to
      the author. It's the best description I've seen on winding coils
      (big statement from me, as I advocate another design :-))) )

      <ext>
      1. Buy tubing with wall thickess of 0.030. This is refrigeration
      tubing and comes in 50' coils. It's *maybe* five thousandths thicker
      than standard kind from the hardware or Home Depot/Lowe's type
      chains (but same price!!!). I'm not even sure it's any thicker, but
      I know it works perfectly.
      2. Get a mandrel for appropriate size at least a foot long (18" is
      better).
      3. Allow at least 2 feet to overlap the mandrel toward your lap,
      with the remainder out in front in the floor. Keep the tubing 90
      degrees to the mandrel.
      4. Now with the 2 foot section in your right hand (let it extend up
      under armpit if necessary), and the remaining length in the left,
      pull with each hand in opposing directions as hard as you can (use
      Zen; become 'one' with it ha ha) while only trying to bend the pipe
      about an 1/8 to 1/4 turn at most around the mandrel (downward toward
      the floor). Do NOT go any further.
      5. Now examine the tubing; it should be only slightly flattened
      where you first contacted the pipe. Repeat step 4, pulling with all
      your might while adding another quarter turn.
      6. Now that you're nearly half way around, turn the rig over so that
      the short end is sticking up in the air. Continue by holding the
      longer length with left hand still...and pull upward as hard as you
      possibly can while bending to about 3/4 way around. Repeat and
      finish one turn
      7. Now here is the trick. You got it around and it isn't kinked and
      it's tight to the mandrel; now keeping constant tension on the whole
      works, use the *short end* to make 3-4 turns around the mandrel
      (leave as much as you want for water connections). Why is it the
      trick? Well 'cause you've turned the first few turns with the short,
      manageable end - and now you can grasp it for the remainder!
      8. To finish means we *switch techniques*: Now stand up...and take
      the coil in left hand and put a tight grasp on the coil with locked
      thumb and fingers - and - bearing down on top of your left knee -
      keeping constant hard tension on the remaining tubing, *turn your
      wrists* outward to roll the tubing onto the mandrel. DON'T try to
      just wrap the tubing around like a sissy or it will not fit tight to
      mandrel and possibly kink. You can switch hands/legs to get a rest.

      Roll down, then back up the same way and you'll have a perfect
      double-helix coil without salt or anything.

      Figure 10' of tubing for a 4.5"-5" long double-helix for 1.5"
      column , and 20' for a 6 incher for a 2" column.

      It's hard work for any method, so just roll a few turns and rest
      often. Don't rush it, as was advised earlier.

      Remember, there are 3 tricks: Start with at least 2 foot and wrap
      first 4 or so turns with *short end*; constant, hard, tension during
      entire process; change techniques wrapping the last part by rolling
      wrists.

      Hope this is useful, and I welcome comments or other ways of doing
      it easier. - Eth&All

      </ext>

      Source: http://homedistiller.org/forums/viewtopic.php?
      t=1748&highlight=winding

    • Marc Verheyden
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 2 11:06 PM
        Hi Harry,

        Thanks for the coil information, that was going to be next after
        getting the small tube, so thats one post I won't have to do. I
        managed to find quarter inch tube from a local plumber for only $ 12
        aud, just under one meter 2" copper tube for $10 aud from the local
        scrap metal guy and a good needle valve with compression fittings
        from a local hyraulic business for $ 15 aud. Getting back to the
        quarter inch tube got 4 meters (13 feet), looks like I'll buy 6
        meters more going off the text. Next week.

        Cheers
        marc

> [...]
        > just wrap the tubing around like a sissy or it will not fit tight
        > mandrel and possibly kink. You can switch hands/legs to get a
        rest.

        > Roll down, then back up the same way and you'll have a perfect
        > double-helix coil without salt or anything.
        >
        > Figure 10' of tubing for a 4.5"-5" long double-helix for 1.5"
        > column , and 20' for a 6 incher for a 2" column.
        >
        > It's hard work for any method, so just roll a few turns and rest
        > often. Don't rush it, as was advised earlier.
        >
        > Remember, there are 3 tricks: Start with at least 2 foot and wrap
        > first 4 or so turns with *short end*; constant, hard, tension
        during
        > entire process; change techniques wrapping the last part by
        rolling
        > wrists.
        >
        > Hope this is useful, and I welcome comments or other ways of doing

      • sonum norbu
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 3 12:13 AM
          Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, the joys of an old pot still. Fill 'er up, turn 'er on
          and suck it out!!. Not always the same but always better than the muck
          they sell in shops, and none of the agonizing that other stills seem to
          have. But then, I'm an old bugger who barely remembers yesterday, so
          variation in taste is not a problem...blanikdog

          Who are you people??????? what am I doing here??????????

> [...]

          wrists* outward to roll the tubing onto the mandrel. DON'T try to
          just wrap the tubing around like a sissy or it will not fit tight to
          mandrel and possibly kink. You can switch hands/legs to get a rest.

          Roll down, then back up the same way and you'll have a perfect
          double-helix coil without salt or anything.

          Figure 10' of tubing for a 4.5"-5" long double-helix for 1.5"
          column , and 20' for a 6 incher for a 2" column.

          It's hard work for any method, so just roll a few turns and rest
          often. Don't rush it, as was advised earlier.

          Remember, there are 3 tricks: Start with at least 2 foot and wrap
          first 4 or so turns with *short end*; constant, hard, tension during
          entire process; change techniques wrapping the last part by rolling
          wrists.

          Hope this is useful, and I welcome comments or other ways of doing

          Food and drink Home distilling Culture
          Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

          Service.

          SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
          http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
          IRC server tessnet.cx

        • _{*L*}_
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 3 4:19 AM
            Dear Mark, the picture you saw was the original design which I invented a while ago and it required the reflux to be dumped back in the reflux column by means of this lower "return" tube. If you would close off the needle valve the condensate would go back entirely. I made this still it works very fine.

            However, when I was making it I decided that there is an easier way to dump excess of the distillate back in the column. By means of a simple overflow and directing this overflow in the column middle by means of a simple downward spigot. This spigot is cut from the lower plate before soldering is done. After the plate is in place, a simple push down with a screwdriver or a thin file does the job.

            I attached the picture to illustrate it. Cheers, Alex (aka BOKAKOB)

            Marc Verheyden <mavnkaf@...> wrote:
            Hi Alex,

            I had found two pictures on a Australian brewing forum last night, the guy who displayed it was praising the mini still. His name was Justin I think. Anyway the picture shows a quarter inch copper tube
            going from the product tube, just above the needle valve, across the to the column and into the column just under the collection plate. I don't think its needed as your design does the same thing. I added the picture in the photo section under Marc so you can see it. Wrongly I thought it was your mod. Cheers Marc

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, _{*L*}_ <bokakob@...> wrote:

            > Dear Mark! I am consumed with anticipation to learn about an extra reflux tube. Can you please enlighten me because I did not catch it in time? Thank you.

            _{*L*}_
            Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
            http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 3 4:11 PM
              I think it is a GREAT design, and I can't wait to get my hands on one.

              ~Scott

            • Lindsay Williams
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 3 11:49 PM
                No, my coil is a single one. Used about 4 1/2 metres over a 1 1/2"
                tube (mandrel). I just poked about 6-7" down into the former, bent
                the tubing to lay back down the former, bent it at rt angles at the
                top then started the coiling process. This diameter copper is pretty
                easy to work with, you'll find.

                Cheers,
                Lindsay.

                wrote:

                > Hi Lindsay,
                >
                > Thanks for your post, I'll look for it. Did you do it as a double
                > coil style? Also how much more copper would I have to use to
                > compensate for the smaller size? Sorry for the questions.
                >
                > Cheers
                > Marc
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams"
                > <lindsay.nz@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I made my coil (27 turns) from 5mm soft copper which is readily
                > > available from a plumbing supplies warehouse. It is used in
                > > refrigeration and has been used as brake pipe. This size is easy to
                > > coil and with a scrubber stuffed down it it is adequate for my VM
                > still.
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > > Lindsay.

              • Marc Verheyden
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 4 12:40 AM
                  Thanks Alex,

                  At first I thought it was your design then you posted then I thought
                  maybe someone modified it. Well I'm glad to find a orignal design
                  picture! But I still like the current design.

                  I haven't seen your attached picture but I have been viewing these
                  emails via the new_distillers site, I normaly get them though
                  hotmail but hotmail has been stuffing up lately. I'm not getting
                  them in the right time line, some emails will turn up 2 days late
                  while most are ok. Sorry Alex for going off topic for abit.

                  I know you designed the Mini Still for a compact unit to fit say on
                  the cooking stove. Do you have any tips for people who insist on
                  using 2" copper tube? Like length, position of the collection plate
                  and length of the double helix coil? Harry suggested a six inch
                  double helix coil, or was it Harry's text find? I'll leave it there.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 4 1:44 AM
                    Thanks Lindsay,

                    On Friday I found a plumber who stocked the quarter inch tube and got 4
                    meters but I might have to get 6 or so meters, not sure but at $3.30 aud per
                    meter its not going to break the bank anyway I need some extra tube for the
                    liquid gold to be guided to it's home. BTW thanks for the info!

                    Cheers
                    Marc

                    >From: "Lindsay Williams" <lindsay.nz@...>
                    >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Pro's and con's of the Mini Still
                    >Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 07:49:05 -0000
                    >
                    >No, my coil is a single one. Used about 4 1/2 metres over a 1 1/2"
                    >tube (mandrel). I just poked about 6-7" down into the former, bent
                    >the tubing to lay back down the former, bent it at rt angles at the
                    >top then started the coiling process. This diameter copper is pretty
                    >easy to work with, you'll find.
                    >
                    >Cheers,
                    >Lindsay.
                    >
                    >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Verheyden" <mavnkaf@...>
                    >wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Lindsay,
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for your post, I'll look for it. Did you do it as a double
                    > > coil style? Also how much more copper would I have to use to
                    > > compensate for the smaller size? Sorry for the questions.
                    > >
                    > > Cheers
                    > > Marc
                    > >

                    > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams"
                    > > <lindsay.nz@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I made my coil (27 turns) from 5mm soft copper which is readily
                    > > > available from a plumbing supplies warehouse. It is used in
                    > > > refrigeration and has been used as brake pipe. This size is easy to
                    > > > coil and with a scrubber stuffed down it it is adequate for my VM
                    > > still.
                    > > >
                    > > > Cheers,
                    > > > Lindsay.

                  • _{*L*}_
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 4 6:52 AM
                      Marc, six inch coils feels just right for 3 feet tall 2" diameter copper pipe. I agree on that. The collection plate should be just under the coil with its own directing plate soldered to it. MOST important are two things -- there MUST be a vertical clear space between the lower (collection) and the upper (directing) plates in order for vapors to pass through. The other thing to watch for is to have a horizontal overlap for about quarter-inch or a bit more. This way you get very efficient unit. And the last but not least thing is to MAKE SURE that the inclination of collection plate is such that the liquid collected in it will COMPLETELY submerge the take off tube.
                      Those are the only three critical items:
                      1. Vertical gap for safety
                      2. Horizontal overlap for efficiency
                      3. Total take off tube submergence for efficiency
                      The rest be more or less variable. You can even run this unit without any thermometer. I don't use them anymore. I adjusted the reflux-takeoff-heat ratio so that the condensate just stops dripping after most of good alcohol is gone out of the mash.
                      You did not get the picture because I did not mail it directly to you. The same picture is posted in the files section of <new distillers> and <distillers> groups. If you build this unit please share the success with others.
                      Best regards, Alex (BOKAKOB)

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 4 7:48 PM
                        Thank you very much Alex,

                        I think you covered every thing nicely, I'll go and have a look at
                        your picture. I will try to take some pictures as I atempt to build
                        the Mini Still

                        Cheers
                        Marc

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, _{*L*}_ <bokakob@...> wrote:

                        > Marc, six inch coils feels just right for 3 feet tall 2" diameter
                        copper pipe. I agree on that. The collection plate should be just
                        under the coil with its own directing plate soldered to it. MOST
                        important are two things -- there MUST be a vertical clear space
                        between the lower (collection) and the upper (directing) plates in
                        order for vapors to pass through. The other thing to watch for is to
                        have a horizontal overlap for about quarter-inch or a bit more. This
                        way you get very efficient unit. And the last but not least thing is
                        to MAKE SURE that the inclination of collection plate is such that
                        the liquid collected in it will COMPLETELY submerge the take off
                        tube.
                        > Those are the only three critical items:
                        > 1. Vertical gap for safety
                        > 2. Horizontal overlap for efficiency
                        > 3. Total take off tube submergence for efficiency
                        > The rest be more or less variable. You can even run this unit
                        without any thermometer. I don't use them anymore. I adjusted the
                        reflux-takeoff-heat ratio so that the condensate just stops dripping
                        after most of good alcohol is gone out of the mash.
                        > You did not get the picture because I did not mail it directly
                        to you. The same picture is posted in the files section of <new
                        distillers> and <distillers> groups. If you build this unit please
                        share the success with others.
                        > Best regards, Alex (BOKAKOB)
                        >

                        > _{*L*}_
                        > Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
                        > http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                      • Dave
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 5 11:42 PM
                          Curious question about the construction of the Mini-Still...if it
                          hasn't already been answered.

                          How do you get that soldered slanted slate into the piping like that?
                          I have some left over materials from my previous still construction
                          that I would love to make this.

                          Thanks,

                          Dave

                          wrote:

                          > Thank you very much Alex,
                          >
                          > I think you covered every thing nicely, I'll go and have a look at
                          > your picture. I will try to take some pictures as I atempt to build
                          > the Mini Still
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          > Marc
                          >
                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, _{*L*}_ <bokakob@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Marc, six inch coils feels just right for 3 feet tall 2" diameter
                          > copper pipe. I agree on that. The collection plate should be just
                          > under the coil with its own directing plate soldered to it. MOST
                          > important are two things -- there MUST be a vertical clear space
                          > between the lower (collection) and the upper (directing) plates in
                          > order for vapors to pass through. The other thing to watch for is to
                          > have a horizontal overlap for about quarter-inch or a bit more. This
                          > way you get very efficient unit. And the last but not least thing is
                          > to MAKE SURE that the inclination of collection plate is such that
                          > the liquid collected in it will COMPLETELY submerge the take off
                          > tube.
                          > > Those are the only three critical items:
                          > > 1. Vertical gap for safety
                          > > 2. Horizontal overlap for efficiency
                          > > 3. Total take off tube submergence for efficiency
                          > > The rest be more or less variable. You can even run this unit
                          > without any thermometer. I don't use them anymore. I adjusted the
                          > reflux-takeoff-heat ratio so that the condensate just stops dripping
                          > after most of good alcohol is gone out of the mash.
                          > > You did not get the picture because I did not mail it directly
                          > to you. The same picture is posted in the files section of <new
                          > distillers> and <distillers> groups. If you build this unit please
                          > share the success with others.
                          > > Best regards, Alex (BOKAKOB)
                          > >

                          > > _{*L*}_
                          > > Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
                          > > http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                        • Brendan Keith
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 6 6:33 AM
                            You use a hacksaw to cut the slot.

                            I made a wooden jig, somewhat like a mitre box, but angled the other
                            way, to accomplish it. Helps when you're making multiple units.
                            But others just do it freehand. I made multiple, different angled
                            slots in the jog to experiment with different angles.
                            30-45 degrees all work fine, as long as the takeoff tube is covered,
                            as Alex said.

                            I make the two plate model, not the single-fixed-plate-with-other-plate-
                            soldered-to-the-coil style.

                            Vertical spacing of the plates is 1.5" at the closest point, which means
                            the slots are about 2.5" apart on opposite sides of the pipe.

                            The takeoff tube hole can be cut before or after the slots. Before
                            might be easier, as far as starting the slot right at the bottom of it.

                            After cutting the slots to the required depth, which is just past the
                            halfway mark (you need a small overlap), I put a small piece of cardboard
                            into the slot and trimmed it to make a template for the metal plate.

                            The plates are made from an offcut from the pipe. Cut about 1.5" off the
                            end,
                            cut it open and hammer flat, then trace out the shape and cut with whatever.

                            My hacksaw blade is a bit thinner than the pipe material so the plate
                            doesn't
                            just slide right in. The pipe needs to be secured at the shorter end,
                            lower (collection) slot upwards, a small block placed under the slot and
                            downward pressure applied to the long end. This opens up the slot, allowing
                            the plate to be inserted and gently tapped into place. The plate should be
                            cleaned and fluxed top and bottom before inserting. It's possiblte to get
                            a good joint by fluxing only the outside, but I like to be thorough and the
                            flux probably helps lubricate the insertion, too.

                            You did remember to make two 1/2" parallel cuts in the plate for the drip
                            point, right?
                            At this point, reach in with a long screwdriver or whatever and bend the
                            drip
                            tab down. Solder, flip and repeat flexing, inserting and soldering.
                            No drip tab in the top plate, of course.

                            I drill another hole on the same side as the upper plate, halfway between
                            the plates and angled down the same way as the plates and solder in a 1"
                            piece of the 1/4" tubing. This holds my thermometer perfectly. It is
                            just the right diameter so that no vapour escapes and I wrap the
                            thermometer with a few turns of masking tape to hold it at just the right
                            depth so as not to be in the runoff stream. Just like a drill depth guide.

                            Polish the outside, rinse the inside with lots of hot water, maybe even
                            do a test run with just water to clean out the flux, another rinse with
                            vinegar and salt, then you should be ready to really produce something.
                            --
                            Brendan Keith
                            bkeith@...

                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 6 10:56 AM
                                > I will try to take some pictures as I atempt to build
                                > the Mini Still
                                >
                                > Cheers
                                > Marc

                                Yes please and post them to the groups photo section.

                                Barra
                              • Dave
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 6 12:09 PM
                                  Do I understand this right?
                                  I have to make holes and solder the piece of slant to the pipe?

                                  I am trying to picture all of this being done, but I am having
                                  diffculty seeing it.

                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, _{*L*}_ <bokakob@...> wrote:

                                  > In order to solder the slanted plate inside the column the one
                                  should cut a simple slanted slot with a hacksaw. Then inserting a
                                  plate in the slot will provide this detail. If you don't understand it
                                  please do a mock-up setup with a cardboard cylinder and your kitchen
                                  knife. Any shoe box would make a nice cardboard material to make and
                                  invision the design.

                                  > Dave <diskmaster23@...> wrote: Curious question about the
                                  construction of the Mini-Still...if it hasn't already been answered.
                                  How do you get that soldered slanted slate into the piping like that?
                                  I have some left over materials from my previous still construction
                                  that I would love to make this.
                                  > Thanks, Dave
                                  >
                                  > _{*L*}_
                                  > Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
                                  > http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                                • stevolate
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 6 2:37 PM
                                    Hi Dave
                                    I just posted photos of Mini Still column with slots and plates.
                                    In photos under Mini Still. Link below.
                                    http://tinyurl.com/e63qn
                                    Hope this helps.

                                    Stevo

                                    > Do I understand this right?
                                    > I have to make holes and solder the piece of slant to the pipe?
                                    >
                                    > I am trying to picture all of this being done, but I am having
                                    > diffculty seeing it.
                                  • Brendan Keith
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 6 2:47 PM
                                      http://www.typicalcrap.com/distilling/still2/

                                      http://www.typicalcrap.com/distilling/new/

                                      --

                                      bk

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 6 4:05 PM
                                        Imagine you slice a salami at an angle. In case of mini-still this cut extends only 3/4 of the diameter of the salami. Then in insert a cardboard into the salami. If you are having difficulties understanding this I would recommend bying the stuff.

                                        Dave <diskmaster23@...> wrote: Do I understand this right?

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 6 5:23 PM
                                          I get it now. The pictures helped out alot.
                                          Thanks and good luck to all.

                                          Dave