Re: [new_distillers] Pro's and con's of the Mini Still

  • lucky666
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 2, 2006
      Gidday Marc

      Been running a (pseudo)mini for the last couple of years - nothing but praise for it.

      Sits on a 30 litre keg, over a twin gas burner - 25 litres comes to the boil in about 40 min, end up with about 4-4.5 litres of 94-95% (about 600ml/hr) from an 8kg sugar wash with 48 hour Turbo

      No probs, no fuss, just lots of good quality.

      Phil
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 2, 2006
        After more digging off site lead me back HERE! Some of you long
        term members would know all about this subject. I have found enough
        info about the mini still to make what I want, 2 inch x 3 feet
        column with the extra reflux tube. Got the pic's to help my self to
        make but, a big but I can't buy quarter inch (.25), tube here for
        the cooling coil? Any one in VIC know of a source? I can get 9 mm
        some thing but when you measurse it's closer to 10 mm and thats the
        best tradelink can do. But then again they don't supply needle
        valves either. Ok I can use gas needle valves. Bunnings sell them
        too, $10 buck or so. Can I use 6. mm alloy tube if I can do the
        double wind. got more Q's but it's late, don't want to fall asleep
        in front of the PC looking for stuff again! bye

        Marc

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Verheyden"
        <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys,
        >
        > I've decided to not play with still spirit still any more. After
        > lot more reading I realize that if I want a good product I'll have
        > to make a still with reflux control. So I'm thinking about making
        > mini still, looks simple to make and cheaper to make compared to
        the
        > other refluxing still.
        > Does anyone have a view or experience with the mini still?
        >
        > It seems to be one of the smaller still I have seen around the
        > internet. I have read every thing I can find that Bokakob has
        > written. I have read the bit where Bokakob explains why he choose
        > to use 1.5 inch copper pipe instead of 2 inch.
        >
        > Cheers
        > Marc

      • _{*L*}_
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 2, 2006
          Dear Mark! I am consumed with anticipation to learn about an extra reflux tube. Can you please enlighten me because I did not catch it in time? Thank you.

          Marc Verheyden <mavnkaf@...> wrote: After more digging off site lead me back HERE! Some of you long term members would know all about this subject. I have found enough info about the mini still to make what I want, 2 inch x 3 feet column with the extra reflux tube. Got the pic's to help my self to make but, a big but I can't buy quarter inch (.25), tube here for the cooling coil? Any one in VIC know of a source? I can get 9 mm some thing but when you measurse it's closer to 10 mm and thats the best tradelink can do. But then again they don't supply needle valves either. Ok I can use gas needle valves. Bunnings sell them too, $10 buck or so. Can I use 6. mm alloy tube if I can do the double wind. got more Q's but it's late, don't want to fall asleep in front of the PC looking for stuff again! bye Marc

          <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

          > Hi guys,
          >
          > I've decided to not play with still spirit still any more. After
          > lot more reading I realize that if I want a good product I'll have
          > to make a still with reflux control. So I'm thinking about making
          > mini still, looks simple to make and cheaper to make compared to
          the
          > other refluxing still.
          > Does anyone have a view or experience with the mini still?
          >
          > It seems to be one of the smaller still I have seen around the
          > internet. I have read every thing I can find that Bokakob has
          > written. I have read the bit where Bokakob explains why he choose
          > to use 1.5 inch copper pipe instead of 2 inch.
          >
          > Cheers
          > Marc

          Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

          ---------------------------------

          _{*L*}_
          Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
          http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

        • Brendan Keith
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 2, 2006
            I think he meant the product collection tube.

            For a needle valve, I use a plumbing type, typically used for feeding a
            water filter or ice maker, not a gas type.

            --
            Brendan Keith
            bkeith@...

            <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

            > Hi guys,
            >
            > I've decided to not play with still spirit still any more. After
            > lot more reading I realize that if I want a good product I'll have
            > to make a still with reflux control. So I'm thinking about making
            > mini still, looks simple to make and cheaper to make compared to
            the
            > other refluxing still.
            > Does anyone have a view or experience with the mini still?
            >
            > It seems to be one of the smaller still I have seen around the
            > internet. I have read every thing I can find that Bokakob has
            > written. I have read the bit where Bokakob explains why he choose
            > to use 1.5 inch copper pipe instead of 2 inch.
            >
            > Cheers
            > Marc

            Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club
            Organizational culture Distillers

            ---------------------------------

            _{*L*}_
            Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
            http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Lindsay Williams
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 2, 2006
              I made my coil (27 turns) from 5mm soft copper which is readily
              available from a plumbing supplies warehouse. It is used in
              refrigeration and has been used as brake pipe. This size is easy to
              coil and with a scrubber stuffed down it it is adequate for my VM still.

              Cheers,
              Lindsay.

              wrote:

              > After more digging off site lead me back HERE! Some of you long
              > term members would know all about this subject. I have found enough
              > info about the mini still to make what I want, 2 inch x 3 feet
              > column with the extra reflux tube. Got the pic's to help my self to
              > make but, a big but I can't buy quarter inch (.25), tube here for
              > the cooling coil? Any one in VIC know of a source? I can get 9 mm
              > some thing but when you measurse it's closer to 10 mm and thats the
              > best tradelink can do. But then again they don't supply needle
              > valves either. Ok I can use gas needle valves. Bunnings sell them
              > too, $10 buck or so. Can I use 6. mm alloy tube if I can do the
              > double wind. got more Q's but it's late, don't want to fall asleep
              > in front of the PC looking for stuff again! bye
              >
              > Marc
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Verheyden"
              > <mavnkaf@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi guys,
              > >
              > > I've decided to not play with still spirit still any more. After
              > > lot more reading I realize that if I want a good product I'll have
              > > to make a still with reflux control. So I'm thinking about making
              > > mini still, looks simple to make and cheaper to make compared to
              > the
              > > other refluxing still.
              > > Does anyone have a view or experience with the mini still?
              > >
              > > It seems to be one of the smaller still I have seen around the
              > > internet. I have read every thing I can find that Bokakob has
              > > written. I have read the bit where Bokakob explains why he choose
              > > to use 1.5 inch copper pipe instead of 2 inch.
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > > Marc

            • Marc Verheyden
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 2, 2006
                Hi Alex,

                I had found two pictures on a Australian brewing forum last night,
                the guy who displayed it was praising the mini still. His name was
                Justin I think. Anyway the picture shows a quarter inch copper tube
                going from the product tube, just above the needle valve, across the
                to the column and into the column just under the collection plate.

                I don't think its needed as your design does the same thing. I
                added the picture in the photo section under Marc so you can see
                it. Wrongly I thought it was your mod.

                Cheers
                Marc

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 2, 2006
                  Hi Lindsay,

                  Thanks for your post, I'll look for it. Did you do it as a double
                  coil style? Also how much more copper would I have to use to
                  compensate for the smaller size? Sorry for the questions.

                  Cheers
                  Marc

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams"

                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 2, 2006
                    <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Lindsay,
                    >
                    > Thanks for your post, I'll look for it. Did you do it as a double
                    > coil style? Also how much more copper would I have to use to
                    > compensate for the smaller size? Sorry for the questions.
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    > Marc

                    Hi Marc,
                    Never be sorry for asking questions. If you don't ask, you don't
                    learn. It's that simple.

                    On the subject of coils, I have a transcript from another forum. I
                    don't know if it's kosher to republish, but I will give credit to
                    the author. It's the best description I've seen on winding coils
                    (big statement from me, as I advocate another design :-))) )

                    <ext>
                    1. Buy tubing with wall thickess of 0.030. This is refrigeration
                    tubing and comes in 50' coils. It's *maybe* five thousandths thicker
                    than standard kind from the hardware or Home Depot/Lowe's type
                    chains (but same price!!!). I'm not even sure it's any thicker, but
                    I know it works perfectly.
                    2. Get a mandrel for appropriate size at least a foot long (18" is
                    better).
                    3. Allow at least 2 feet to overlap the mandrel toward your lap,
                    with the remainder out in front in the floor. Keep the tubing 90
                    degrees to the mandrel.
                    4. Now with the 2 foot section in your right hand (let it extend up
                    under armpit if necessary), and the remaining length in the left,
                    pull with each hand in opposing directions as hard as you can (use
                    Zen; become 'one' with it ha ha) while only trying to bend the pipe
                    about an 1/8 to 1/4 turn at most around the mandrel (downward toward
                    the floor). Do NOT go any further.
                    5. Now examine the tubing; it should be only slightly flattened
                    where you first contacted the pipe. Repeat step 4, pulling with all
                    your might while adding another quarter turn.
                    6. Now that you're nearly half way around, turn the rig over so that
                    the short end is sticking up in the air. Continue by holding the
                    longer length with left hand still...and pull upward as hard as you
                    possibly can while bending to about 3/4 way around. Repeat and
                    finish one turn
                    7. Now here is the trick. You got it around and it isn't kinked and
                    it's tight to the mandrel; now keeping constant tension on the whole
                    works, use the *short end* to make 3-4 turns around the mandrel
                    (leave as much as you want for water connections). Why is it the
                    trick? Well 'cause you've turned the first few turns with the short,
                    manageable end - and now you can grasp it for the remainder!
                    8. To finish means we *switch techniques*: Now stand up...and take
                    the coil in left hand and put a tight grasp on the coil with locked
                    thumb and fingers - and - bearing down on top of your left knee -
                    keeping constant hard tension on the remaining tubing, *turn your
                    wrists* outward to roll the tubing onto the mandrel. DON'T try to
                    just wrap the tubing around like a sissy or it will not fit tight to
                    mandrel and possibly kink. You can switch hands/legs to get a rest.

                    Roll down, then back up the same way and you'll have a perfect
                    double-helix coil without salt or anything.

                    Figure 10' of tubing for a 4.5"-5" long double-helix for 1.5"
                    column , and 20' for a 6 incher for a 2" column.

                    It's hard work for any method, so just roll a few turns and rest
                    often. Don't rush it, as was advised earlier.

                    Remember, there are 3 tricks: Start with at least 2 foot and wrap
                    first 4 or so turns with *short end*; constant, hard, tension during
                    entire process; change techniques wrapping the last part by rolling
                    wrists.

                    Hope this is useful, and I welcome comments or other ways of doing
                    it easier. - Eth&All

                    </ext>

                    Source: http://homedistiller.org/forums/viewtopic.php?
                    t=1748&highlight=winding

                  • Marc Verheyden
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 2, 2006
                      Hi Harry,

                      Thanks for the coil information, that was going to be next after
                      getting the small tube, so thats one post I won't have to do. I
                      managed to find quarter inch tube from a local plumber for only $ 12
                      aud, just under one meter 2" copper tube for $10 aud from the local
                      scrap metal guy and a good needle valve with compression fittings
                      from a local hyraulic business for $ 15 aud. Getting back to the
                      quarter inch tube got 4 meters (13 feet), looks like I'll buy 6
                      meters more going off the text. Next week.

                    • sonum norbu
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 3, 2006
                        Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, the joys of an old pot still. Fill 'er up, turn 'er on
                        and suck it out!!. Not always the same but always better than the muck
                        they sell in shops, and none of the agonizing that other stills seem to
                        have. But then, I'm an old bugger who barely remembers yesterday, so
                        variation in taste is not a problem...blanikdog

                        Who are you people??????? what am I doing here??????????

> [...]

                        double-helix coil without salt or anything.

                        Figure 10' of tubing for a 4.5"-5" long double-helix for 1.5"
                        column , and 20' for a 6 incher for a 2" column.

                        It's hard work for any method, so just roll a few turns and rest
                        often. Don't rush it, as was advised earlier.

                        Remember, there are 3 tricks: Start with at least 2 foot and wrap
                        first 4 or so turns with *short end*; constant, hard, tension during
                        entire process; change techniques wrapping the last part by rolling
                        wrists.

                        Hope this is useful, and I welcome comments or other ways of doing
                        it easier. - Eth&All

                        </ext>

                        Source: http://homedistiller.org/forums/viewtopic.php?
                        t=1748&highlight=winding

                        Food and drink Home distilling Culture
                        Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

                        Service.

                        SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                        http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
                        IRC server tessnet.cx

                      • _{*L*}_
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 3, 2006
                          Dear Mark, the picture you saw was the original design which I invented a while ago and it required the reflux to be dumped back in the reflux column by means of this lower "return" tube. If you would close off the needle valve the condensate would go back entirely. I made this still it works very fine.

                          However, when I was making it I decided that there is an easier way to dump excess of the distillate back in the column. By means of a simple overflow and directing this overflow in the column middle by means of a simple downward spigot. This spigot is cut from the lower plate before soldering is done. After the plate is in place, a simple push down with a screwdriver or a thin file does the job.

                          I attached the picture to illustrate it. Cheers, Alex (aka BOKAKOB)

                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 3, 2006
                            I think it is a GREAT design, and I can't wait to get my hands on one.

                            ~Scott

                          • Lindsay Williams
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 3, 2006
                              No, my coil is a single one. Used about 4 1/2 metres over a 1 1/2"
                              tube (mandrel). I just poked about 6-7" down into the former, bent
                              the tubing to lay back down the former, bent it at rt angles at the
                              top then started the coiling process. This diameter copper is pretty
                              easy to work with, you'll find.

                              Cheers,
                              Lindsay.

                              wrote:

                              > Hi Lindsay,
                              >
                              > Thanks for your post, I'll look for it. Did you do it as a double
                              > coil style? Also how much more copper would I have to use to
                              > compensate for the smaller size? Sorry for the questions.
                              >
                              > Cheers
                              > Marc
                              >

                              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams"
                              > <lindsay.nz@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I made my coil (27 turns) from 5mm soft copper which is readily
                              > > available from a plumbing supplies warehouse. It is used in
                              > > refrigeration and has been used as brake pipe. This size is easy to
                              > > coil and with a scrubber stuffed down it it is adequate for my VM
                              > still.
                              > >
                              > > Cheers,
                              > > Lindsay.

                            • Marc Verheyden
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 4, 2006
                                Thanks Alex,

                                At first I thought it was your design then you posted then I thought
                                maybe someone modified it. Well I'm glad to find a orignal design
                                picture! But I still like the current design.

                                I haven't seen your attached picture but I have been viewing these
                                emails via the new_distillers site, I normaly get them though
                                hotmail but hotmail has been stuffing up lately. I'm not getting
                                them in the right time line, some emails will turn up 2 days late
                                while most are ok. Sorry Alex for going off topic for abit.

                                I know you designed the Mini Still for a compact unit to fit say on
                                the cooking stove. Do you have any tips for people who insist on
                                using 2" copper tube? Like length, position of the collection plate
                                and length of the double helix coil? Harry suggested a six inch
                                double helix coil, or was it Harry's text find? I'll leave it there.

                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 4, 2006
                                  Thanks Lindsay,

                                  On Friday I found a plumber who stocked the quarter inch tube and got 4
                                  meters but I might have to get 6 or so meters, not sure but at $3.30 aud per
                                  meter its not going to break the bank anyway I need some extra tube for the
                                  liquid gold to be guided to it's home. BTW thanks for the info!

                                  Cheers
                                  Marc

                                  >From: "Lindsay Williams" <lindsay.nz@...>
                                  >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Pro's and con's of the Mini Still
                                  >Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 07:49:05 -0000
                                  >
                                  >No, my coil is a single one. Used about 4 1/2 metres over a 1 1/2"
                                  >tube (mandrel). I just poked about 6-7" down into the former, bent
                                  >the tubing to lay back down the former, bent it at rt angles at the
                                  >top then started the coiling process. This diameter copper is pretty
                                  >easy to work with, you'll find.
                                  >
                                  >Cheers,
                                  >Lindsay.
                                  >
                                  >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Verheyden" <mavnkaf@...>
                                  >wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi Lindsay,
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks for your post, I'll look for it. Did you do it as a double
                                  > > coil style? Also how much more copper would I have to use to
                                  > > compensate for the smaller size? Sorry for the questions.
                                  > >
                                  > > Cheers
                                  > > Marc
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams"
                                  > > <lindsay.nz@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I made my coil (27 turns) from 5mm soft copper which is readily
                                  > > > available from a plumbing supplies warehouse. It is used in
                                  > > > refrigeration and has been used as brake pipe. This size is easy to
                                  > > > coil and with a scrubber stuffed down it it is adequate for my VM
                                  > > still.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Cheers,
                                  > > > Lindsay.

                                • _{*L*}_
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 4, 2006
                                    Marc, six inch coils feels just right for 3 feet tall 2" diameter copper pipe. I agree on that. The collection plate should be just under the coil with its own directing plate soldered to it. MOST important are two things -- there MUST be a vertical clear space between the lower (collection) and the upper (directing) plates in order for vapors to pass through. The other thing to watch for is to have a horizontal overlap for about quarter-inch or a bit more. This way you get very efficient unit. And the last but not least thing is to MAKE SURE that the inclination of collection plate is such that the liquid collected in it will COMPLETELY submerge the take off tube.
                                    Those are the only three critical items:
                                    1. Vertical gap for safety
                                    2. Horizontal overlap for efficiency
                                    3. Total take off tube submergence for efficiency
                                    The rest be more or less variable. You can even run this unit without any thermometer. I don't use them anymore. I adjusted the reflux-takeoff-heat ratio so that the condensate just stops dripping after most of good alcohol is gone out of the mash.
                                    You did not get the picture because I did not mail it directly to you. The same picture is posted in the files section of <new distillers> and <distillers> groups. If you build this unit please share the success with others.
                                    Best regards, Alex (BOKAKOB)

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 4, 2006
                                      Thank you very much Alex,

                                      I think you covered every thing nicely, I'll go and have a look at
                                      your picture. I will try to take some pictures as I atempt to build
                                      the Mini Still

                                      Cheers
                                      Marc

                                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, _{*L*}_ <bokakob@...> wrote:

                                      > Marc, six inch coils feels just right for 3 feet tall 2" diameter
                                      copper pipe. I agree on that. The collection plate should be just
                                      under the coil with its own directing plate soldered to it. MOST
                                      important are two things -- there MUST be a vertical clear space
                                      between the lower (collection) and the upper (directing) plates in
                                      order for vapors to pass through. The other thing to watch for is to
                                      have a horizontal overlap for about quarter-inch or a bit more. This
                                      way you get very efficient unit. And the last but not least thing is
                                      to MAKE SURE that the inclination of collection plate is such that
                                      the liquid collected in it will COMPLETELY submerge the take off
                                      tube.
                                      > Those are the only three critical items:
                                      > 1. Vertical gap for safety
                                      > 2. Horizontal overlap for efficiency
                                      > 3. Total take off tube submergence for efficiency
                                      > The rest be more or less variable. You can even run this unit
                                      without any thermometer. I don't use them anymore. I adjusted the
                                      reflux-takeoff-heat ratio so that the condensate just stops dripping
                                      after most of good alcohol is gone out of the mash.
                                      > You did not get the picture because I did not mail it directly
                                      to you. The same picture is posted in the files section of <new
                                      distillers> and <distillers> groups. If you build this unit please
                                      share the success with others.
                                      > Best regards, Alex (BOKAKOB)
                                      >

                                      > _{*L*}_
                                      > Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
                                      > http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                                    • Dave
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 5, 2006
                                        Curious question about the construction of the Mini-Still...if it
                                        hasn't already been answered.

                                        How do you get that soldered slanted slate into the piping like that?
                                        I have some left over materials from my previous still construction
                                        that I would love to make this.

                                        Thanks,

                                        Dave

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 6, 2006
                                          You use a hacksaw to cut the slot.

                                          I made a wooden jig, somewhat like a mitre box, but angled the other
                                          way, to accomplish it. Helps when you're making multiple units.
                                          But others just do it freehand. I made multiple, different angled
                                          slots in the jog to experiment with different angles.
                                          30-45 degrees all work fine, as long as the takeoff tube is covered,
                                          as Alex said.

                                          I make the two plate model, not the single-fixed-plate-with-other-plate-
                                          soldered-to-the-coil style.

                                          Vertical spacing of the plates is 1.5" at the closest point, which means
                                          the slots are about 2.5" apart on opposite sides of the pipe.

                                          The takeoff tube hole can be cut before or after the slots. Before
                                          might be easier, as far as starting the slot right at the bottom of it.

                                          After cutting the slots to the required depth, which is just past the
                                          halfway mark (you need a small overlap), I put a small piece of cardboard
                                          into the slot and trimmed it to make a template for the metal plate.

                                          The plates are made from an offcut from the pipe. Cut about 1.5" off the
                                          end,
                                          cut it open and hammer flat, then trace out the shape and cut with whatever.

                                          My hacksaw blade is a bit thinner than the pipe material so the plate
                                          doesn't
                                          just slide right in. The pipe needs to be secured at the shorter end,
                                          lower (collection) slot upwards, a small block placed under the slot and
                                          downward pressure applied to the long end. This opens up the slot, allowing
                                          the plate to be inserted and gently tapped into place. The plate should be
                                          cleaned and fluxed top and bottom before inserting. It's possiblte to get
                                          a good joint by fluxing only the outside, but I like to be thorough and the
                                          flux probably helps lubricate the insertion, too.

                                          You did remember to make two 1/2" parallel cuts in the plate for the drip
                                          point, right?
                                          At this point, reach in with a long screwdriver or whatever and bend the
                                          drip
                                          tab down. Solder, flip and repeat flexing, inserting and soldering.
                                          No drip tab in the top plate, of course.

                                          I drill another hole on the same side as the upper plate, halfway between
                                          the plates and angled down the same way as the plates and solder in a 1"
                                          piece of the 1/4" tubing. This holds my thermometer perfectly. It is
                                          just the right diameter so that no vapour escapes and I wrap the
                                          thermometer with a few turns of masking tape to hold it at just the right
                                          depth so as not to be in the runoff stream. Just like a drill depth guide.

                                          Polish the outside, rinse the inside with lots of hot water, maybe even
                                          do a test run with just water to clean out the flux, another rinse with
                                          vinegar and salt, then you should be ready to really produce something.
                                          --
                                          Brendan Keith
                                          bkeith@...

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 6, 2006
                                              > I will try to take some pictures as I atempt to build
                                              > the Mini Still
                                              >
                                              > Cheers
                                              > Marc

                                              Yes please and post them to the groups photo section.

                                              Barra
                                            • Dave
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 6, 2006
                                                Do I understand this right?
                                                I have to make holes and solder the piece of slant to the pipe?

                                                I am trying to picture all of this being done, but I am having
                                                diffculty seeing it.

                                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, _{*L*}_ <bokakob@...> wrote:

                                                > In order to solder the slanted plate inside the column the one
                                                should cut a simple slanted slot with a hacksaw. Then inserting a
                                                plate in the slot will provide this detail. If you don't understand it
                                                please do a mock-up setup with a cardboard cylinder and your kitchen
                                                knife. Any shoe box would make a nice cardboard material to make and
                                                invision the design.

                                                > Dave <diskmaster23@...> wrote: Curious question about the
                                                construction of the Mini-Still...if it hasn't already been answered.
                                                How do you get that soldered slanted slate into the piping like that?
                                                I have some left over materials from my previous still construction
                                                that I would love to make this.
                                                > Thanks, Dave
                                                >
                                                > _{*L*}_
                                                > Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
                                                > http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                                              • stevolate
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 6, 2006
                                                  Hi Dave
                                                  I just posted photos of Mini Still column with slots and plates.
                                                  In photos under Mini Still. Link below.
                                                  http://tinyurl.com/e63qn
                                                  Hope this helps.

                                                  Stevo

                                                  > Do I understand this right?
                                                  > I have to make holes and solder the piece of slant to the pipe?
                                                  >
                                                  > I am trying to picture all of this being done, but I am having
                                                  > diffculty seeing it.
                                                • Brendan Keith
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Mar 6, 2006
                                                    http://www.typicalcrap.com/distilling/still2/

                                                    http://www.typicalcrap.com/distilling/new/

                                                    --

                                                    bk

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Mar 6, 2006
                                                      Imagine you slice a salami at an angle. In case of mini-still this cut extends only 3/4 of the diameter of the salami. Then in insert a cardboard into the salami. If you are having difficulties understanding this I would recommend bying the stuff.

                                                      Dave <diskmaster23@...> wrote: Do I understand this right?

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Mar 6, 2006
                                                        I get it now. The pictures helped out alot.
                                                        Thanks and good luck to all.

                                                        Dave