RE: [new_distillers] Re: Adding a column to a SS reflux still

  • Marc Verheyden
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hi guys,

      I�ve decided to not play with still spirit still any more. After a lot more
      reading I realize that if I want a good product I�ll have to make a still
      with reflux control. So I�m thinking about making a mini still, looks
      simple to make and cheaper to make compared to the other refluxing still.

      I'll repost under a new subject as I have few Question about the mini still.

      Cheers
      Marc

      >From: "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...>
      >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Adding a column to a SS reflux still
      >Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:18:50 -0000
      >
      >What about heat losses. No-one has mentioned whether the boiler
      >should be insulated or not in this case. You'll easily loose 500W
      >from uninsulated boiler.
      >
      >- Riku

    • kirtgk
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 14, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Verheyden"
        <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys,
        >
        > I've decided to not play with still spirit still any more. After
        a lot more
        > reading I realize that if I want a good product I'll have to make
        a still
        > with reflux control. So I'm thinking about making a mini still,
        looks
        > simple to make and cheaper to make compared to the other refluxing
        still.

        > I'll repost under a new subject as I have few Question about the
        mini still.

        > Cheers
        > Marc
        >

        > >From: "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...>
        > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Adding a column to a SS reflux still
        > >Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:18:50 -0000
        > >
        > >What about heat losses. No-one has mentioned whether the boiler
        > >should be insulated or not in this case. You'll easily loose 500W
        > >from uninsulated boiler.
        > >
        > >- Riku

        see when i started to still no one wanted to help me so im on a
        mission to help as many others as i can and i made a still by myself
        from information that i collected on the net. i must of put in 50
        hours at least of research before i actually made my build. ant then
        i had to modify it a couple of times to get it to run at what is
        called "equalibreium" whichs is when the heat source and water flow
        and collection temp stay the same by themselves because the water is
        cooling the vapor to the correct temp for collection and no
        adjustments are necessary for about 30 to 45 minuites. i can help if
        your serious and intend to put some build time and dont mind
        spending the money for the parts. about 200.00 dollars. all i ask
        for in return is when you get the results i get that you choose
        someone and help them as i have helped you. by the way i get 180
        proof every time on the firts run. thats 90% ABV. i can also help
        you with wash or mash or whichever you wish to call it.
      • pugs2510
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 15, 2006
          Dont let these folks turn you away from the pot still i collect
          starting at 170 proof to as low as low but never lower than 150 proof
          . if your making rum brandy whisky scoch or anything else for that
          matter other than pure vodka you can use a pot still quit well . go slow
          low heat (o my god controled heat source via the steam temp) . and off
          ya go to a fine flavor and smell to the product.

          just some thought pugs
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...> wrote:

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Verheyden"
          > mavnkaf@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi guys,
          > >
          > > I've decided to not play with still spirit still any more. After
          > a lot more
          > > reading I realize that if I want a good product I'll have to make
          > a still
          > > with reflux control. So I'm thinking about making a mini still,
          > looks
          > > simple to make and cheaper to make compared to the other refluxing
          > still.
          > >
          > > I'll repost under a new subject as I have few Question about the
          > mini still.
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > > Marc
          > >

          > > >From: "abbababbaccc" abbababbaccc@
          > > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > > >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Adding a column to a SS reflux still
          > > >Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:18:50 -0000
          > > >
          > > >What about heat losses. No-one has mentioned whether the boiler
          > > >should be insulated or not in this case. You'll easily loose 500W
          > > >from uninsulated boiler.
          > > >
          > > >- Riku
          > > >

          > see when i started to still no one wanted to help me so im on a
          > mission to help as many others as i can and i made a still by myself
          > from information that i collected on the net. i must of put in 50
          > hours at least of research before i actually made my build. ant then
          > i had to modify it a couple of times to get it to run at what is
          > called "equalibreium" whichs is when the heat source and water flow
          > and collection temp stay the same by themselves because the water is
          > cooling the vapor to the correct temp for collection and no
          > adjustments are necessary for about 30 to 45 minuites. i can help if
          > your serious and intend to put some build time and dont mind
          > spending the money for the parts. about 200.00 dollars. all i ask
          > for in return is when you get the results i get that you choose
          > someone and help them as i have helped you. by the way i get 180
          > proof every time on the firts run. thats 90% ABV. i can also help
          > you with wash or mash or whichever you wish to call it.

        • sonum norbu
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 15, 2006
            I just adore my potstill and start collecting hearts at 80abv depending
            on taste and save feints from 40abv to around 30 abv - depending on taste
            again - to use in my next wash as per Harry's post a while ago. I save
            mollasses feints in one jar, malt in another and sugar in another so I
            don't mix stuff. Works fine for me, and I don't have any of the problems
            that reflux distillers seem to have...blanikdog

            Dont let these folks turn you away from the pot still i collect
            starting at 170 proof to as low as low but never lower than 150 proof
            . if your making rum brandy whisky scoch or anything else for that
            matter other than pure vodka you can use a pot still quit well . go slow
            low heat (o my god controled heat source via the steam temp) . and off
            ya go to a fine flavor and smell to the product.

            just some thought pugs
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...> wrote:

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Verheyden"
            > mavnkaf@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi guys,
            > >
            > > I've decided to not play with still spirit still any more. After
            > a lot more
            > > reading I realize that if I want a good product I'll have to make
            > a still
            > > with reflux control. So I'm thinking about making a mini still,
            > looks
            > > simple to make and cheaper to make compared to the other refluxing
            > still.
            > >
            > > I'll repost under a new subject as I have few Question about the
            > mini still.
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > > Marc
            > >

            > > >From: "abbababbaccc" abbababbaccc@
            > > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
            > > >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Adding a column to a SS reflux still
            > > >Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:18:50 -0000
            > > >
            > > >What about heat losses. No-one has mentioned whether the boiler
            > > >should be insulated or not in this case. You'll easily loose 500W
            > > >from uninsulated boiler.
            > > >
            > > >- Riku
            > > >

            > see when i started to still no one wanted to help me so im on a
            > mission to help as many others as i can and i made a still by myself
            > from information that i collected on the net. i must of put in 50
            > hours at least of research before i actually made my build. ant then
            > i had to modify it a couple of times to get it to run at what is
            > called "equalibreium" whichs is when the heat source and water flow
            > and collection temp stay the same by themselves because the water is
            > cooling the vapor to the correct temp for collection and no
            > adjustments are necessary for about 30 to 45 minuites. i can help if
            > your serious and intend to put some build time and dont mind
            > spending the money for the parts. about 200.00 dollars. all i ask
            > for in return is when you get the results i get that you choose
            > someone and help them as i have helped you. by the way i get 180
            > proof every time on the firts run. thats 90% ABV. i can also help
            > you with wash or mash or whichever you wish to call it.

            Food and drink Home distilling Culture
            Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

            Service.

            SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
            http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
            IRC server tessnet.cx