Re: Corn

  • morganfield1
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hi Mike,
      That's what I ment by "light grain wash". I mash about 4 lbs. of
      corn (with powdered enzyme) in 3 gal. of water, then, when the mash
      is done, put that in my fermenter, and add enough water to bring the
      entire volume up to 6 gal. When the corn is gelitanized, it's about
      the consistancy of oatmeal. After a successful mash, it's somewhat
      thinner, but still thick. After fermentation, most of the liquid has
      seperated from the spent corn, which sinks to the bottom. As with
      any on the grain ferment, you have to swirl it up every couple of
      Now, I think corn only has just over 50% fermentable sugars in it,
      so if your going for an all grain mash, your going to need alot of
      corn. You can also add more barley, or rye, something with more
      available sugars. There are others on this forum more knowledgable
      about all grain brewing than I who can help you out here.
      Tip one, Morgan

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Eyre" <meyre@...>
      > Morgan also mentions fermenting "on the grain", which is something
      I did