Re: [new_distillers] Re: Corn conversion...

  • Gregory Bloom
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
      Out here in the wild west (Denver, Colorado - http://tinyurl.com/eq8am), our local feed and tack stores sell a variety of individual grains (wheat, oats, barley, rye and corn, mostly - no malt [sigh...]) as feedstock, either whole or flaked (rolled). Usually about $5-$7 per 50-pound sack. The only difference between feed grade and food grade, near as I can tell, is that for animal feed they aren't as fussy about getting out all the little bits of weeds and stuff that comes along with freshly threshed grain. I sometimes see a kernel or two of a different grain mixed in as well, but no dirt clods or insects (so far, anyway). And at a retail price of about ten cents a pound they can't afford to be putting in any additives.

      Cary Rhodes <rhodeseng@...> wrote:

      Its pretty common in US. I would assume horses were prolific
      worldwide.

      But maybe I don't get out much.

      Just use an ALL Grain premimum brand. No additives.

      Horse feed is also called 'sweet feed' in the states.

      Its a mix of various grains and molassas. I doubt one gets very
      much conversion from the grains. I believe its the molassas that
      adds the flavors. could be wrong here.

      cary r

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
      wrote:

      > What exactly is "horse feed" and is it available in Australia? A
      good
      > question for Harry maybe...blanikdog

      (Shakyamuni Buddha)

      > IRC server tessnet.cx
      >
      > --

      Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

      ---------------------------------

    • Ackland, Tony (CALBRIS)
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
        > what I was really looking
        > for is stuff on something called distillers malt, and stuff about the
        > enzymatic power of regular barley and how much starch from corn it can
        > convert.

        Try http://homedistiller.org/yield.htm and http://homedistiller.org/enzymes.htm

        Tony

        NOTICE
        This e-mail and any attachments are private and confidential and may contain privileged information. If you are not an authorised recipient, the copying or distribution of this e-mail and any attachments is prohibited and you must not read, print or act in reliance on this e-mail or attachments.
        This notice should not be removed.
      • donald holcombe
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
          I use rye flakes and have tried rye flour. I have always let it settle. If I use course corn meal I use a mesh bag and roll the mash inside. I tie the open end and alternately lift 1 end of the bag then the other.The mash forms a ball in the bag and the wash comes out and falls in a pan.

          Campbell Ritchie <ritchiec@...> wrote: --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
          wrote:

          > What exactly is "horse feed" and is it available in Australia? A
          good
          > question for Harry maybe...blanikdog

          I used cracked corn from the local produce place for my first two
          batches. I also made the mistake of using rye flour as well as
          flaked rye. Not recommended (by me) for first timers. What a bleedin
          gluggy mess. Took about a day to strain it. I ended up squeezing it
          all by hand then letting it settle before adding to still. I
          recycled about half of the spent grain into the next batch with
          sugar to make up the SG.

          Both batches smelled a bit sour by the time they were stilled - did
          a strip on each batch then ran it all a second time through my "30cm
          with 3 scrubbies patented pot still reflux column" with minimal
          reflux and although it's a first attempt and is only 2 months old
          it's tasting damn fine.

          I think for ease of processing I'll use flaked corn from the farmers
          market next time and see how that goes.

          Cheers

          Campbell