Distilling on grains in an electric still *WAS- Re: Corn conversion...

  • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      Look Guys, I know distilling on the grains is a big no-no in an eletric
      still but has anyone tried doing it by placing the grains in a Mesh sock
      and suspending it above the element? Like a big tea bag. You could
      filter out the really coarse pieces in a strainer and then remove all
      the fine pieces too small for the mesh strainer in a piece of cloth to
      prevent them from burning. You should end up with just liquid and bigger
      bits that wont go through the fine mesh. Chuck the mesh bag in with the
      grains in it (with some sort of protection to keep it from touching the
      element) and bobs your uncle. I don't do grain as it's too much trouble
      but if it works it might help out you guys that want to.
      Cheers,
      Leigh.

      Message: 9
      Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:44:24 -0000
      From: "morganfield1" <morganfield1@...>
      Subject: Re: Corn conversion...

      And one more thing. I believe to make good wiskey, you must ferment "on
      the grain" and sparge before distilling. Some will distill on the grain
      also, but you must have a still built for that or you'll have a nasty
      mess at the end.
      Tip one, Morgan