Re: Corn conversion...

  • Cary Rhodes
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
      I have never had an issue with infection using the grains or horse
      feed.

      Only with all sugar washes have I ever experienced problems.

      I use hot water to wash out fermenter after using and never use
      sanitizer.

      Been using the same piece of flooring to stir with for over a year.

      I use enough hot water to disolve 12 lbs of sugar into 3 inches of
      All Grain feed, then cold water to top up and lower temp, then pitch
      with Black Label or Distillers or Whiskey Yeast

      Whole process takes 10 minutes tops.

      YMMV
      cary r

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"
      <morganfield1@...> wrote:

      > Hi Cary,
      > Do you have any contamination problems, or is there a sanitation
      > trick with the horse feed? I've often thought about that myself, I
      > spend an entire saturday mashing, and then sunday morning (after
      > attending services at "Our Lady of The Heavenly Spirits"), pre-
      > starting yeast, sanitizing fermenters (splash back and forth
      > method), and so on. As opposed to an hours worth of sugar wash.
      > Tip one, Morgan
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cary Rhodes" <rhodeseng@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > you are most likely right on the cook temps Morgan
      > >
      > > and I always strain off the grain before I pour into the
      distiller.

      > > But to tell the honest truth, I have just about quit cooking corn
      > and
      > > attempting the conversion. Heck Sam's club sells sugar for $ 3
      > > something for 10 lbs.
      > >
      > > I add a little horse feed to the sugar and pitch yeast. Makes a
      > > perfect batch every time.
      > >

      > > cary r
      > >

      > > -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"

    • Cary Rhodes
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
        Its pretty common in US. I would assume horses were prolific
        worldwide.

        But maybe I don't get out much.

        Just use an ALL Grain premimum brand. No additives.

        Horse feed is also called 'sweet feed' in the states.

        Its a mix of various grains and molassas. I doubt one gets very
        much conversion from the grains. I believe its the molassas that
        adds the flavors. could be wrong here.

        cary r

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
        wrote:

        > What exactly is "horse feed" and is it available in Australia? A
        good
        > question for Harry maybe...blanikdog

        (Shakyamuni Buddha)

        > IRC server tessnet.cx
        >
        > --

      • Gregory Bloom
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
          Out here in the wild west (Denver, Colorado - http://tinyurl.com/eq8am), our local feed and tack stores sell a variety of individual grains (wheat, oats, barley, rye and corn, mostly - no malt [sigh...]) as feedstock, either whole or flaked (rolled). Usually about $5-$7 per 50-pound sack. The only difference between feed grade and food grade, near as I can tell, is that for animal feed they aren't as fussy about getting out all the little bits of weeds and stuff that comes along with freshly threshed grain. I sometimes see a kernel or two of a different grain mixed in as well, but no dirt clods or insects (so far, anyway). And at a retail price of about ten cents a pound they can't afford to be putting in any additives.

          wrote:

          > What exactly is "horse feed" and is it available in Australia? A
          good
          > question for Harry maybe...blanikdog

          Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

          ---------------------------------

        • Ackland, Tony (CALBRIS)
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
            > what I was really looking
            > for is stuff on something called distillers malt, and stuff about the
            > enzymatic power of regular barley and how much starch from corn it can
            > convert.

            Try http://homedistiller.org/yield.htm and http://homedistiller.org/enzymes.htm

            Tony

            NOTICE
            This e-mail and any attachments are private and confidential and may contain privileged information. If you are not an authorised recipient, the copying or distribution of this e-mail and any attachments is prohibited and you must not read, print or act in reliance on this e-mail or attachments.
            This notice should not be removed.
          • donald holcombe
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
              I use rye flakes and have tried rye flour. I have always let it settle. If I use course corn meal I use a mesh bag and roll the mash inside. I tie the open end and alternately lift 1 end of the bag then the other.The mash forms a ball in the bag and the wash comes out and falls in a pan.

              Campbell Ritchie <ritchiec@...> wrote: --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
              wrote:

              > What exactly is "horse feed" and is it available in Australia? A
              good
              > question for Harry maybe...blanikdog

              I used cracked corn from the local produce place for my first two
              batches. I also made the mistake of using rye flour as well as
              flaked rye. Not recommended (by me) for first timers. What a bleedin
              gluggy mess. Took about a day to strain it. I ended up squeezing it
              all by hand then letting it settle before adding to still. I
              recycled about half of the spent grain into the next batch with
              sugar to make up the SG.

              Both batches smelled a bit sour by the time they were stilled - did
              a strip on each batch then ran it all a second time through my "30cm
              with 3 scrubbies patented pot still reflux column" with minimal
              reflux and although it's a first attempt and is only 2 months old
              it's tasting damn fine.

              I think for ease of processing I'll use flaked corn from the farmers
              market next time and see how that goes.

              Cheers

              Campbell