Re: Adding a column to a SS reflux still

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
      What about heat losses. No-one has mentioned whether the boiler
      should be insulated or not in this case. You'll easily loose 500W
      from uninsulated boiler.

      - Riku

      > Write to Mike Nixon and ask why - or try to get a refund!
      > wal
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rocky_creek1"
      > <rocky_creek@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Yea. My book says that too. My hydrometer says no.
      > >

      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@>
      wrote:

      > > > According to my copy of "The Compleat Distiller" 90% is
      feasible in
      > > > practice for a 1 metre x 50mm diam. well insulated column with
      a 1kW
      > > > boiler.
      > > > "With the fractionating still, it takes around 2.5 hours to
      collect
      > > > just over 8 litres of 90% product." (from 20 litres of 40% abv
      wash)
      > > > I personally like a 1200mm column as it gives me more room for
      clear
      > > > space top and bottom.
      > > > wal
      > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rocky_creek1"

      > proof at
      This
      > is the

      > power and

      > should
      > a pot
      > > water
      > > cooling
      > into
      > happy do
      > > appeared in

      > > better than

      > > jacket is

      > > still
      > > abit
      > > time.

      > > power
      > > > marble and
      > > condenser and
      > > jacket is
      > useful
      > > <mavnkaf@>

      > > > couple of
      > > not good

      > > still
      > > > column to
      > > > scourers.(Michaels

      > > > difference?
      > > > tried
      > take
      > > > this

    • Marc Verheyden
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
        Hi guys,

        I�ve decided to not play with still spirit still any more. After a lot more
        reading I realize that if I want a good product I�ll have to make a still
        with reflux control. So I�m thinking about making a mini still, looks
        simple to make and cheaper to make compared to the other refluxing still.

        I'll repost under a new subject as I have few Question about the mini still.

        Cheers
        Marc

        >From: "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...>
        >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Adding a column to a SS reflux still
        >Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:18:50 -0000
        >
        >What about heat losses. No-one has mentioned whether the boiler
        >should be insulated or not in this case. You'll easily loose 500W
        >from uninsulated boiler.
        >
        >- Riku

      • kirtgk
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 14, 2006
          <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

          > Hi guys,
          >
          > I've decided to not play with still spirit still any more. After
          a lot more
          > reading I realize that if I want a good product I'll have to make
          a still
          > with reflux control. So I'm thinking about making a mini still,
          looks
          > simple to make and cheaper to make compared to the other refluxing
          still.

          > I'll repost under a new subject as I have few Question about the
          mini still.

          > Cheers
          > Marc
          >

          > >From: "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...>
          > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Adding a column to a SS reflux still
          > >Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:18:50 -0000
          > >
          > >What about heat losses. No-one has mentioned whether the boiler
          > >should be insulated or not in this case. You'll easily loose 500W
          > >from uninsulated boiler.
          > >
          > >- Riku

          see when i started to still no one wanted to help me so im on a
          mission to help as many others as i can and i made a still by myself
          from information that i collected on the net. i must of put in 50
          hours at least of research before i actually made my build. ant then
          i had to modify it a couple of times to get it to run at what is
          called "equalibreium" whichs is when the heat source and water flow
          and collection temp stay the same by themselves because the water is
          cooling the vapor to the correct temp for collection and no
          adjustments are necessary for about 30 to 45 minuites. i can help if
          your serious and intend to put some build time and dont mind
          spending the money for the parts. about 200.00 dollars. all i ask
          for in return is when you get the results i get that you choose
          someone and help them as i have helped you. by the way i get 180
          proof every time on the firts run. thats 90% ABV. i can also help
          you with wash or mash or whichever you wish to call it.
        • pugs2510
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 15, 2006
            Dont let these folks turn you away from the pot still i collect
            starting at 170 proof to as low as low but never lower than 150 proof
            . if your making rum brandy whisky scoch or anything else for that
            matter other than pure vodka you can use a pot still quit well . go slow
            low heat (o my god controled heat source via the steam temp) . and off
            ya go to a fine flavor and smell to the product.

            just some thought pugs
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...> wrote:

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Verheyden"
            > mavnkaf@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi guys,
            > >
            > > I've decided to not play with still spirit still any more. After
            > a lot more
            > > reading I realize that if I want a good product I'll have to make
            > a still
            > > with reflux control. So I'm thinking about making a mini still,
            > looks
            > > simple to make and cheaper to make compared to the other refluxing
            > still.
            > >
            > > I'll repost under a new subject as I have few Question about the
            > mini still.
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > > Marc
            > >

            > > >From: "abbababbaccc" abbababbaccc@
            > > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
            > > >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Adding a column to a SS reflux still
            > > >Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:18:50 -0000
            > > >
            > > >What about heat losses. No-one has mentioned whether the boiler
            > > >should be insulated or not in this case. You'll easily loose 500W
            > > >from uninsulated boiler.
            > > >
            > > >- Riku
            > > >

            > see when i started to still no one wanted to help me so im on a
            > mission to help as many others as i can and i made a still by myself
            > from information that i collected on the net. i must of put in 50
            > hours at least of research before i actually made my build. ant then
            > i had to modify it a couple of times to get it to run at what is
            > called "equalibreium" whichs is when the heat source and water flow
            > and collection temp stay the same by themselves because the water is
            > cooling the vapor to the correct temp for collection and no
            > adjustments are necessary for about 30 to 45 minuites. i can help if
            > your serious and intend to put some build time and dont mind
            > spending the money for the parts. about 200.00 dollars. all i ask
            > for in return is when you get the results i get that you choose
            > someone and help them as i have helped you. by the way i get 180
            > proof every time on the firts run. thats 90% ABV. i can also help
            > you with wash or mash or whichever you wish to call it.

          • sonum norbu
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 15, 2006
              I just adore my potstill and start collecting hearts at 80abv depending
              on taste and save feints from 40abv to around 30 abv - depending on taste
              again - to use in my next wash as per Harry's post a while ago. I save
              mollasses feints in one jar, malt in another and sugar in another so I
              don't mix stuff. Works fine for me, and I don't have any of the problems
              that reflux distillers seem to have...blanikdog

              Dont let these folks turn you away from the pot still i collect
              starting at 170 proof to as low as low but never lower than 150 proof
              . if your making rum brandy whisky scoch or anything else for that
              matter other than pure vodka you can use a pot still quit well . go slow
              low heat (o my god controled heat source via the steam temp) . and off
              ya go to a fine flavor and smell to the product.

              just some thought pugs
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...> wrote:

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Verheyden"
              > mavnkaf@ wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi guys,
              > >
              > > I've decided to not play with still spirit still any more. After
              > a lot more
              > > reading I realize that if I want a good product I'll have to make
              > a still
              > > with reflux control. So I'm thinking about making a mini still,
              > looks
              > > simple to make and cheaper to make compared to the other refluxing
              > still.
              > >
              > > I'll repost under a new subject as I have few Question about the
              > mini still.
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > > Marc
              > >

              > > >From: "abbababbaccc" abbababbaccc@
              > > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
              > > >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Adding a column to a SS reflux still
              > > >Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:18:50 -0000
              > > >
              > > >What about heat losses. No-one has mentioned whether the boiler
              > > >should be insulated or not in this case. You'll easily loose 500W
              > > >from uninsulated boiler.
              > > >
              > > >- Riku
              > > >

              > see when i started to still no one wanted to help me so im on a
              > mission to help as many others as i can and i made a still by myself
              > from information that i collected on the net. i must of put in 50
              > hours at least of research before i actually made my build. ant then
              > i had to modify it a couple of times to get it to run at what is
              > called "equalibreium" whichs is when the heat source and water flow
              > and collection temp stay the same by themselves because the water is
              > cooling the vapor to the correct temp for collection and no
              > adjustments are necessary for about 30 to 45 minuites. i can help if
              > your serious and intend to put some build time and dont mind
              > spending the money for the parts. about 200.00 dollars. all i ask
              > for in return is when you get the results i get that you choose
              > someone and help them as i have helped you. by the way i get 180
              > proof every time on the firts run. thats 90% ABV. i can also help
              > you with wash or mash or whichever you wish to call it.

              Food and drink Home distilling Culture
              Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

              Service.

              SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
              http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
              IRC server tessnet.cx