Re: Dumbass Electrical question

  • Lindsay Williams
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2006
      No, all the current is not going through the coil all the time. As you
      surmise, with lower voltage comes lower current in the variac coil.
      Have a look here:- http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~reese/VariacPage/

      You are correct. Halve the voltage and you quarter the power. Indeed,
      your thoughts on achieving the two powers are definitely sensible,
      especially if you have both voltages available as in many homes in the
      States. But if you haven't, you could take a similar approach to me.
      Your variac won't cope with the 13.6A needed on full voltage but it
      would cope if the voltage out was halved as the element would only be
      drawing 6.8A. I run my 3200W element straight to the 220V mains then
      when the wash boils I plug the element into my burst-fire controller
      set to produce around 800W. This way the controller doesn't have to
      cope with 14.5A.

      Cheers,
      Lindsay.

      PS Never forget google - it is where I got the link above!
      PPS We are dealing with potentially lethal voltages here, so be sure
      to get your solution checked by an electrician if you are in any doubt.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...>