Re: A zillion more questions!

  • Lindsay Williams
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
      Indeed, but perhaps you overlooked my "appreciable" quantities. I
      thought we were talking about reflux stilling which really doesn't
      work that well with room temp evaporation rates.

      Cheers,
      Lindsay.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Bloom <gjbloom@...> wrote:

      > Actually, you can distill quite effectively at temperatures lower
      than boiling point. Each component of the solution has a vapor
      pressure, even below boiling. The "Amazing Still" works by heating
      the wash to increase the vapor pressure of the more volatile
      components without actually taking the wash up to boiling. Of course,
      the "Amazing Still" takes perhaps a full day to do a run, but it does
      work.

      > I once did an experiment where I enclosed an aquarium aerator in a
      tupperware container and ran a sealed cycle of CO2 through the wash
      and through a condensing jug in my freezer. It was slow, but it did
      work. (I was hoping that by removing the alcohol as it formed in the
      wash, I might keep the yeast continuously fermenting by adding sugar
      every once in a while. By continuously cycling the CO2, I maintained
      anaerobic fermentation. Bottom line - It worked, kinda, but was too
      slow and not worth the trouble).

      > Lindsay Williams <lindsay.nz@...> wrote:
      >
      > One for you, Sam!!!
      >
      > Read the first para from the previous post very carefully.
      >
      > Indeed, you are missing something very basic. (To let you in on the
      > joke, we had to beat Sam around a bit (actually, quite a lot!!) to get
      > him away from the differential boiling "theory" of distillation! At
      > the serious risk of repetition, believe us when we say a liquid, even
      > one with several alcohols in it, will only ever have ONE boiling
      > point. If you heat it below this point, how will you get vapour coming
      > off it? It must boil to give off vapour in any appreciable quantities.
      >
      > Go to www.homedistiller.org/theory and read Mike Nixon's treatise on
      > distillation theory.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Lindsay.
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Eyre" <meyre@> wrote:
      > >

      > > >To my knowledge, Bob the Borg is the only one here who has
      > > >successfully controled boiler temp. (Sorry, Sam, couldn't resist).
      > > >Actually, the temp of the wash is determined by the alchohol
      content
      > > >of the wash. The higher the alchohol content, the lower the boiling
      > > >point. As the more and more of the alchohol evaporates, the temp of
      > > >the wash goes up. Adding more heat, however, does not raise the
      > > >temp, but does increase the boiling rate. Each still has it's own
      > > >level of performance/verses vapor rate.
      > >
      > > Hmmm...Ok, I'm a little mystified by that. I was thinking about
      > > an electric heater element hooked to a controller with a high
      point and
      > > a low point setting. I was going to set the low poit for 175 and the
      > > high to 180 or thereabout and run it till the thing didn't run
      anymore,
      > > and then jack the temp up a bit more to go to the next stage. If
      you're
      > > saying the evap occurs whenever it occurs because the evap is
      lower for
      > > a higher alcohol content (which I totally get!), then what would
      happen
      > > if you put a huge direct fire or element into service and just
      flashed
      > > the thing right up to 212+ degrees? Wouldn't' you get evap of
      everything
      > > in the pot, including what you wanted to distill as well as the stuff
      > > you *didn't* want to distill? Doesn't' it make more sense to
      slowly ramp
      > > temp up, collecting only that which you want to collect in the lower
      > > evaporation realm before you get to distilling just water at neat
      > > boiling temps?
      > >
      > > As an aside, I do temp steps in beer all the time and temp is
      > > fairly easy to control with a burner and a watchful eye.. why do
      you say
      > > that's only one fellow has successfully controlled the boiler
      temp? Am I
      > > missing something basic here? Seriously! :-)

      > Food and drink
      Home distilling
      Culture
      Culture club