Re: Corn conversion...

  • Campbell Ritchie
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
      wrote:

      > What exactly is "horse feed" and is it available in Australia? A
      good
      > question for Harry maybe...blanikdog

      I used cracked corn from the local produce place for my first two
      batches. I also made the mistake of using rye flour as well as
      flaked rye. Not recommended (by me) for first timers. What a bleedin
      gluggy mess. Took about a day to strain it. I ended up squeezing it
      all by hand then letting it settle before adding to still. I
      recycled about half of the spent grain into the next batch with
      sugar to make up the SG.

      Both batches smelled a bit sour by the time they were stilled - did
      a strip on each batch then ran it all a second time through my "30cm
      with 3 scrubbies patented pot still reflux column" with minimal
      reflux and although it's a first attempt and is only 2 months old
      it's tasting damn fine.

      I think for ease of processing I'll use flaked corn from the farmers
      market next time and see how that goes.

      Cheers

      Campbell
    • Cary Rhodes
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
        I bought sugar and quart mason jars.

        Pretty nice combination, in my opinion.

        Told them I liked to store my sugar in sealed containers.

        cary r

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"
        <morganfield1@...> wrote:

        > You must like your coffee reeeeeeeally sweet ;-).
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, jkirby007@ wrote:
        >

        > > > yep they sell cheap and in 50 lb sacks no less,and they look
        > funny when i go
        > > in and buy 3 at a time

      • Cary Rhodes
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
          I have never had an issue with infection using the grains or horse
          feed.

          Only with all sugar washes have I ever experienced problems.

          I use hot water to wash out fermenter after using and never use
          sanitizer.

          Been using the same piece of flooring to stir with for over a year.

          I use enough hot water to disolve 12 lbs of sugar into 3 inches of
          All Grain feed, then cold water to top up and lower temp, then pitch
          with Black Label or Distillers or Whiskey Yeast

          Whole process takes 10 minutes tops.

          YMMV

          <morganfield1@...> wrote:

          > Hi Cary,
          > Do you have any contamination problems, or is there a sanitation
          > trick with the horse feed? I've often thought about that myself, I
          > spend an entire saturday mashing, and then sunday morning (after
          > attending services at "Our Lady of The Heavenly Spirits"), pre-
          > starting yeast, sanitizing fermenters (splash back and forth
          > method), and so on. As opposed to an hours worth of sugar wash.
          > Tip one, Morgan
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cary Rhodes" <rhodeseng@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > you are most likely right on the cook temps Morgan
          > >
          > > and I always strain off the grain before I pour into the
          distiller.

          > > But to tell the honest truth, I have just about quit cooking corn
          > and
          > > attempting the conversion. Heck Sam's club sells sugar for $ 3
          > > something for 10 lbs.
          > >
          > > I add a little horse feed to the sugar and pitch yeast. Makes a
          > > perfect batch every time.
          > >

          > > cary r
          > >

          > > -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"

        • Cary Rhodes
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
            Its pretty common in US. I would assume horses were prolific
            worldwide.

            But maybe I don't get out much.

            Just use an ALL Grain premimum brand. No additives.

            Horse feed is also called 'sweet feed' in the states.

            Its a mix of various grains and molassas. I doubt one gets very
            much conversion from the grains. I believe its the molassas that
            adds the flavors. could be wrong here.

            cary r

            wrote:

            > What exactly is "horse feed" and is it available in Australia? A
            good
            > question for Harry maybe...blanikdog

            (Shakyamuni Buddha)

            > IRC server tessnet.cx
            >
            > --

          • Gregory Bloom
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
              Out here in the wild west (Denver, Colorado - http://tinyurl.com/eq8am), our local feed and tack stores sell a variety of individual grains (wheat, oats, barley, rye and corn, mostly - no malt [sigh...]) as feedstock, either whole or flaked (rolled). Usually about $5-$7 per 50-pound sack. The only difference between feed grade and food grade, near as I can tell, is that for animal feed they aren't as fussy about getting out all the little bits of weeds and stuff that comes along with freshly threshed grain. I sometimes see a kernel or two of a different grain mixed in as well, but no dirt clods or insects (so far, anyway). And at a retail price of about ten cents a pound they can't afford to be putting in any additives.

              wrote:

              > What exactly is "horse feed" and is it available in Australia? A
              good
              > question for Harry maybe...blanikdog

              Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

              ---------------------------------

            • Ackland, Tony (CALBRIS)
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
                > what I was really looking
                > for is stuff on something called distillers malt, and stuff about the
                > enzymatic power of regular barley and how much starch from corn it can
                > convert.

                Try http://homedistiller.org/yield.htm and http://homedistiller.org/enzymes.htm

                Tony

                NOTICE
                This e-mail and any attachments are private and confidential and may contain privileged information. If you are not an authorised recipient, the copying or distribution of this e-mail and any attachments is prohibited and you must not read, print or act in reliance on this e-mail or attachments.
                This notice should not be removed.
              • donald holcombe
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
                  I use rye flakes and have tried rye flour. I have always let it settle. If I use course corn meal I use a mesh bag and roll the mash inside. I tie the open end and alternately lift 1 end of the bag then the other.The mash forms a ball in the bag and the wash comes out and falls in a pan.

                  Campbell Ritchie <ritchiec@...> wrote: --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>