Re: New guy here, lookin' for some help...

  • mrhammond71
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Eyre" <meyre@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello all!
      >
      > I'm new to the game, having digested most of what I could
      understand on
      > the net, I delved into the hobby with a little something I rigged
      up on
      > the stove top. Worked like a charm! Problem is, I'm really
      curious, and
      > have a few question. If I could, I'll let loose with a tide of 'em
      and
      > see what I get back. Thanks for any and all responses! I'm using a
      pot
      > still and plan to build a bigger one, since I'm really only
      interested
      > in Whiskey and the like. I'm a hardcore home brewer of beer and
      mead and
      > like to mash stuff, and I'd like to get into corn/rye/barley
      mashes...

      > 1. Temp control. I have a book, the Alaskan Bootleggers Bible. It
      says
      > to distil in two to three stages from certain temps like 175 up to
      205
      > then stop. Then the gap narrows the next pass and so on. What I
      don't
      > get is, do you need to ramp the temp up to 175 and hold it there
      for a
      > while until the drops stop coming and then slowly ramp up the temp
      > the 205 degree mark? Is that how it goes, until you wash out the
      pot and
      > go to the next stage?
      >
      > 2. What kind of corn is used for Whisky and where do you get it?
      Is it a
      > animal feed type corn you can get from Agway or something, or is
      that
      > unsuitable? Do you just mash it in with the barley (for the
      enzymes, for
      > I don't' think corn has any of it's own...) and what sort of ratio
      would
      > get the job done well. I understand some of the big labels use 51%
      > corn... but I'm not sure if they supplement with enzymes from
      somewhere
      > else or not.
      >
      > 3. Is the yeast a critical factor in the final flavor of a home
      > distilled whiskey, or can you use just about anything?
      >
      > 4. I've heard of charcoal filtering, and wish to try it at home.
      I'm
      > thinking you'd get charcoal, or burn some up yourself and put it
      in a
      > thin column of sorts and just run your finished product down
      through the
      > tube of charcoal to get the filtering effect you were looking for,
      is
      > that correct? Can someone point me towards a website or some pics
      of
      > such a device so I can get an eyeball on what it would look like?
      >
      > 5. Color. I think that Whiskey's get their color mostly (all???)
      from
      > charred oak (or is it maple??) barrels. I assume since we operate
      on a
      > smaller scale, we'd mostly age a home whiskey in glass with charred
      > oak/maple chips in the glass. Is that correct? If that's true
      (correct
      > me if I'm wrong!), does this take place before or after the
      > above-mentioned charcoal filtering step?
      >
      > I've got more, but I think that's a heck of a first post. Again,
      thanks
      > for any and all help... links and such to helpful sites (I've been
      > all the biggies I think homedistiler.org and a few others) would be
      > great as well. Take care!
      >
      > Mike

      Mike i would say that is a pretty good post for your first one.
      morgon seemed to answer most of your questions pretty accurately.
      the one thing that a want to elaborate on is that carbon,when used
      properly,will strip most flavor but charcoal filtering willnot
      remove flavor in the same way or as much. activated carbon has more
      pores for lack of a better word ,than carcoal and therfore more
      surface area to absorb impurities such as esters and congeners.
      using the charcoal will take the bite out of whiskey and mellow it
      to an extent. as fore how to use it you are on the right track with
      the pipe thingy. just cap one end and install a needle valve to
      control the flow. also before filtering it is good to cut to 50% or
      so and chill so filtering will do a better job.
      hope this helps,
      Ricky