A zillion more questions!

  • Michael Eyre
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 24, 2006
      >To my knowledge, Bob the Borg is the only one here who has
      >successfully controled boiler temp. (Sorry, Sam, couldn't resist).
      >Actually, the temp of the wash is determined by the alchohol content
      >of the wash. The higher the alchohol content, the lower the boiling
      >point. As the more and more of the alchohol evaporates, the temp of
      >the wash goes up. Adding more heat, however, does not raise the
      >temp, but does increase the boiling rate. Each still has it's own
      >level of performance/verses vapor rate.

      Hmmm...Ok, I'm a little mystified by that. I was thinking about
      an electric heater element hooked to a controller with a high point and
      a low point setting. I was going to set the low poit for 175 and the
      high to 180 or thereabout and run it till the thing didn't run anymore,
      and then jack the temp up a bit more to go to the next stage. If you're
      saying the evap occurs whenever it occurs because the evap is lower for
      a higher alcohol content (which I totally get!), then what would happen
      if you put a huge direct fire or element into service and just flashed
      the thing right up to 212+ degrees? Wouldn't' you get evap of everything
      in the pot, including what you wanted to distill as well as the stuff
      you *didn't* want to distill? Doesn't' it make more sense to slowly ramp
      temp up, collecting only that which you want to collect in the lower
      evaporation realm before you get to distilling just water at neat
      boiling temps?

      As an aside, I do temp steps in beer all the time and temp is
      fairly easy to control with a burner and a watchful eye.. why do you say
      that's only one fellow has successfully controlled the boiler temp? Am I
      missing something basic here? Seriously! :-)

      >Most of us whiskey makers here use feed corn, though some here are
      >alittle more...particular. Yes, we add a malted grain if we are
      >going to mash, usually malted barley (6 row, if you can get it).At
      >least 20% of your mash should be malted barley (if your using
      >barley). Actually, Bourbon, by law, must be 51% corn to be called
      >bourbon. But most american bourbon distilleries use about 80% corn.

      Roger on the 6 row for the increased enzymes and such. But wow,
      80% corn??? I had no idea you could convert that much starch with such a
      small percent of barley. I'd love to find some more info on Whisky
      washes and grain bills for this stuff.. I've never worked with corn
      before, so it's sorta news to me.

      >Yes, kind of. To filter the hooch, it's best to use activated
      >carbon, available thru brew shops.

      Is this a common thing for home distillers, esp. those that are
      looking at making whiskey type products? You said the A.C. takes out
      "all flavor"... err. That seems like a bad thing, especially since I
      went through all the trouble to make a wash from all grain with the corn
      and barley and stuff, and now I'm going to remove the flavor from it?
      Doesn't seem to make sense... with a whiskey, aren't we looking for the
      flavor and character of the grains to still be in there, as opposed to a
      vodka or something run through a reflux still that has no flavor really
      left in it?

      >Now, let's see...web site...web site, He's teasing me with this one,
      >isn't he. I highly recommend http:homedistiller.org . This site is
      >huge, and required reading for this hobby. Anougther great site is
      >geocities.tastylime.com (you'll have to help me with that, Harry, I
      >know your lurking back there!).

      I thought I mentioned that. :-) I read homedistiller from "cover
      to cover" and am now looking for more! That other site you mentioned is
      a good help as well. That's what I was after! Thanks!

      >All! Charred American Oak. Maple will work, but has a different
      >taste, I use maple.

      Do you char your own, or buy it somewhere? I'm interested in
      doing everything myself that I can. Got any ideas on the
      best/easiest/most effective way to do that? Links, maybe?

      >I have only scratched the surface in answere to your questions.
      >These are complicated questions with more than one answere.

      Yep. And as you can see, you've now got me started with a dozen
      more! Hey, you're a great help already, thanks for the ideas.

      Mike
    • Lindsay Williams
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 25, 2006
        One for you, Sam!!!

        Read the first para from the previous post very carefully.

        Indeed, you are missing something very basic. (To let you in on the
        joke, we had to beat Sam around a bit (actually, quite a lot!!) to get
        him away from the differential boiling "theory" of distillation! At
        the serious risk of repetition, believe us when we say a liquid, even
        one with several alcohols in it, will only ever have ONE boiling
        point. If you heat it below this point, how will you get vapour coming
        off it? It must boil to give off vapour in any appreciable quantities.

        Go to www.homedistiller.org/theory and read Mike Nixon's treatise on
        distillation theory.

        Cheers,
        Lindsay.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Eyre" <meyre@...> wrote:

        > >To my knowledge, Bob the Borg is the only one here who has
        > >successfully controled boiler temp. (Sorry, Sam, couldn't resist).
        > >Actually, the temp of the wash is determined by the alchohol content
        > >of the wash. The higher the alchohol content, the lower the boiling
        > >point. As the more and more of the alchohol evaporates, the temp of
        > >the wash goes up. Adding more heat, however, does not raise the
        > >temp, but does increase the boiling rate. Each still has it's own
        > >level of performance/verses vapor rate.
        >
        > Hmmm...Ok, I'm a little mystified by that. I was thinking about
        > an electric heater element hooked to a controller with a high point and
        > a low point setting. I was going to set the low poit for 175 and the
        > high to 180 or thereabout and run it till the thing didn't run anymore,
        > and then jack the temp up a bit more to go to the next stage. If you're
        > saying the evap occurs whenever it occurs because the evap is lower for
        > a higher alcohol content (which I totally get!), then what would happen
        > if you put a huge direct fire or element into service and just flashed
        > the thing right up to 212+ degrees? Wouldn't' you get evap of everything
        > in the pot, including what you wanted to distill as well as the stuff
        > you *didn't* want to distill? Doesn't' it make more sense to slowly ramp
        > temp up, collecting only that which you want to collect in the lower
        > evaporation realm before you get to distilling just water at neat
        > boiling temps?
        >
        > As an aside, I do temp steps in beer all the time and temp is
        > fairly easy to control with a burner and a watchful eye.. why do you say
        > that's only one fellow has successfully controlled the boiler temp? Am I
        > missing something basic here? Seriously! :-)

      • Sam Thomas
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 25, 2006
          Yeah, I read that. I was going to post my magic process of controlling boiler temperature, but I don't think these noobs are ready for that knowledge quite yet.

          Lindsay Williams <lindsay.nz@...> wrote: One for you, Sam!!!

          Read the first para from the previous post very carefully.

          Indeed, you are missing something very basic. (To let you in on the
          joke, we had to beat Sam around a bit (actually, quite a lot!!) to get
          him away from the differential boiling "theory" of distillation! At
          the serious risk of repetition, believe us when we say a liquid, even
          one with several alcohols in it, will only ever have ONE boiling
          point. If you heat it below this point, how will you get vapour coming
          off it? It must boil to give off vapour in any appreciable quantities.

          Go to www.homedistiller.org/theory and read Mike Nixon's treatise on
          distillation theory.

          Cheers,
          Lindsay.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Eyre" <meyre@...> wrote:

          > >To my knowledge, Bob the Borg is the only one here who has
          > >successfully controled boiler temp. (Sorry, Sam, couldn't resist).
          > >Actually, the temp of the wash is determined by the alchohol content
          > >of the wash. The higher the alchohol content, the lower the boiling
          > >point. As the more and more of the alchohol evaporates, the temp of
          > >the wash goes up. Adding more heat, however, does not raise the
          > >temp, but does increase the boiling rate. Each still has it's own
          > >level of performance/verses vapor rate.

        • morganfield1
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 26, 2006
            wrote:

            > Hmmm...Ok, I'm a little mystified by that. I was thinking
            about
            > an electric heater element hooked to a controller with a high
            point and
            > a low point setting.

            Don't feel lonely, boiling point of the wash seems to be the most
            difficult aspect of this hobby for newcomers to get their head
            around.

            then what would happen
            > if you put a huge direct fire or element into service and just
            flashed
            > the thing right up to 212+ degrees?
            Wouldn't' you get evap of everything
            > in the pot, including what you wanted to distill as well as the
            stuff
            > you *didn't* want to distill?

            That's exactly what would happen, and that's what some do, put
            3ooowatts to her all the way thru and let the reflux column do the
            seperation (which happens anyway).

            Doesn't' it make more sense to slowly ramp
            > temp up, collecting only that which you want to collect in the
            lower
            > evaporation realm before you get to distilling just water at neat
            > boiling temps?

            That's what most beginners assume, that if you raise the temp of the
            wash up to 176f, only the etoh will evaporate, and the water will
            stay behind. The problem with this is, the alchohol and water form a
            MIXTURE, not a solution. Now, this mixture is a special case, in
            that it is not a chemical bond, so chemical means are not neccesary
            to break up the mixture. All that is needed is heat, and a physical
            space (packing column) for this seperation to occur. Now, let's go
            back a bit. Water boils at 212f, it takes x amount of heat to boil x
            amount of water in x amount of time. Once the water reaches 212,
            what happens when we apply more heat, does the temp go up? No. Does
            the vapor rate go up, yes. Ethanol boils at 172f (I'm not sure of
            this exact temp, but it doesn't matter for this dicussion). Bring it
            up to bp, it boils. Add more heat, the temp stays the same, but it
            boils more vigorously (vapor rate). Mix etoh and water together, you
            get a liquid (wash) with a bp somewhere (depending on the etoh%)
            somewhere between 172 and 212. If you try to hold temporature of the
            wash at 172, it will never boil, and no vapor will be produced. This
            is where the "Reflux column" does it's magic. Read "reflux theory"
            in the "homedistiller" site for more on this.

            > As an aside, I do temp steps in beer all the time and temp is
            > fairly easy to control with a burner and a watchful eye.. why do
            you say
            > that's only one fellow has successfully controlled the boiler
            temp? Am I
            > missing something basic here? Seriously! :-)

            The alchohol % controls the bp. When we mash grains, we're not
            bringing the mash up to a boil!

            > Roger on the 6 row for the increased enzymes and such. But
            wow,
            > 80% corn??? I had no idea you could convert that much starch with
            such a
            > small percent of barley. I'd love to find some more info on Whisky
            > washes and grain bills for this stuff.. I've never worked with corn
            > before, so it's sorta news to me.

            There is much info on this in the "Flavorings" section of
            homedistiller.

            > Is this a common thing for home distillers, esp. those that
            are
            > looking at making whiskey type products? You said the A.C. takes
            out
            > "all flavor"... err. That seems like a bad thing, especially since
            > went through all the trouble to make a wash from all grain with
            the corn
            > and barley and stuff, and now I'm going to remove the flavor from
            it?
            > Doesn't seem to make sense... with a whiskey, aren't we looking
            for the
            > flavor and character of the grains to still be in there, as
            opposed to a
            > vodka or something run through a reflux still that has no flavor
            really
            > left in it?

            Remember when I said,"complex questions, more than one answere",
            nowhere does this apply more than here. There is "filtering" and
            there is "aging". Again, "Flavoring" section of, well, you know
            where. Yes, if your making a whole grain wash (beer, at this point)
            to make a flavored spirit, you don't want to "filter" the hooch (
            called "White Dog"). Whiskey gets some of it's flavor from the very
            cogeners and esters that get filtered out of vodka.

            > I thought I mentioned that. :-) I read homedistiller
            from "cover
            > to cover" and am now looking for more! That other site you
            mentioned is
            > a good help as well. That's what I was after! Thanks!

            Yes, I know you mentioned that, It's just that alot of the questions
            you ask are covered in there.

            > >All! Charred American Oak. Maple will work, but has a different
            > >taste, I use maple.
            >
            > Do you char your own, or buy it somewhere? I'm interested in
            > doing everything myself that I can. Got any ideas on the
            > best/easiest/most effective way to do that? Links, maybe?

            I believe you have to char your own so you know what you are
            getting, especially charcoal. You don't want to age your hooch on
            charcoal made from, let's say, hickory, or red oak, as these have
            bitter tannons at the carmeral layer. I make my charcoal on the
            propane grill (outside, deffinetly). There's a difference between
            charcoal, and "charring". Again, "Flavoring".
            I will have to ask Harry to help me out again here. There is a
            website for "The Malting Advocate" that has three wonderful articles
            on the use of charcoal and copper, but since my old computer bit it,
            I lost my bookmarks, though you could probably ask "uncle google".
            > > HTH
            Tip one, Morgan

          • morganfield1
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 26, 2006
              Sam, Keeper of the Magic Knowledge, Protector of the Holy of Holies.
              I always thought it was Frodo!

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Sam Thomas <bob_the_borg@...>
              wrote:

              > Yeah, I read that. I was going to post my magic process of
              controlling boiler temperature, but I don't think these noobs are
              ready for that knowledge quite yet.

            • Gregory Bloom
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 26, 2006
                Oh, c'mon - ain't nothing magic about it. You just have to use a still that is closed to the atmosphere so you can regulate the pressure. Higher pressure = higher temperature. Or you can do vacuum distillation and get higher than 95% EtOH at a much lower boiler temp.

                Sam Thomas <bob_the_borg@...> wrote:

                Yeah, I read that. I was going to post my magic process of controlling boiler temperature, but I don't think these noobs are ready for that knowledge quite yet.

                Lindsay Williams <lindsay.nz@...> wrote: One for you, Sam!!!

                Read the first para from the previous post very carefully.

                Indeed, you are missing something very basic. (To let you in on the
                joke, we had to beat Sam around a bit (actually, quite a lot!!) to get
                him away from the differential boiling "theory" of distillation! At
                the serious risk of repetition, believe us when we say a liquid, even
                one with several alcohols in it, will only ever have ONE boiling
                point. If you heat it below this point, how will you get vapour coming
                off it? It must boil to give off vapour in any appreciable quantities.

                Go to www.homedistiller.org/theory and read Mike Nixon's treatise on
                distillation theory.

                Cheers,
                Lindsay.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Eyre" <meyre@...> wrote:

                > >To my knowledge, Bob the Borg is the only one here who has
                > >successfully controled boiler temp. (Sorry, Sam, couldn't resist).
                > >Actually, the temp of the wash is determined by the alchohol content
                > >of the wash. The higher the alchohol content, the lower the boiling
                > >point. As the more and more of the alchohol evaporates, the temp of
                > >the wash goes up. Adding more heat, however, does not raise the
                > >temp, but does increase the boiling rate. Each still has it's own
                > >level of performance/verses vapor rate.

                Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

                ---------------------------------

              • Gregory Bloom
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 26, 2006
                  Actually, you can distill quite effectively at temperatures lower than boiling point. Each component of the solution has a vapor pressure, even below boiling. The "Amazing Still" works by heating the wash to increase the vapor pressure of the more volatile components without actually taking the wash up to boiling. Of course, the "Amazing Still" takes perhaps a full day to do a run, but it does work.

                  I once did an experiment where I enclosed an aquarium aerator in a tupperware container and ran a sealed cycle of CO2 through the wash and through a condensing jug in my freezer. It was slow, but it did work. (I was hoping that by removing the alcohol as it formed in the wash, I might keep the yeast continuously fermenting by adding sugar every once in a while. By continuously cycling the CO2, I maintained anaerobic fermentation. Bottom line - It worked, kinda, but was too slow and not worth the trouble).

                • sonum norbu
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 26, 2006
                    ;))

                    wrote:

                    > Yeah, I read that. I was going to post my magic process of
                    controlling boiler temperature, but I don't think these noobs are
                    ready for that knowledge quite yet.

                    Food and drink Home distilling Culture
                    Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

                    SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                    http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
                    IRC server tessnet.cx

                  • Lindsay Williams
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
                      Indeed, but perhaps you overlooked my "appreciable" quantities. I
                      thought we were talking about reflux stilling which really doesn't
                      work that well with room temp evaporation rates.

                      Cheers,
                      Lindsay.

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Bloom <gjbloom@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > if you put a huge direct fire or element into service and just
                      flashed
                      > > the thing right up to 212+ degrees? Wouldn't' you get evap of
                      everything
                      > > in the pot, including what you wanted to distill as well as the stuff
                      > > you *didn't* want to distill? Doesn't' it make more sense to
                      slowly ramp
                      > > temp up, collecting only that which you want to collect in the lower
                      > > evaporation realm before you get to distilling just water at neat
                      > > boiling temps?
                      > >
                      > > As an aside, I do temp steps in beer all the time and temp is
                      > > fairly easy to control with a burner and a watchful eye.. why do
                      you say
                      > > that's only one fellow has successfully controlled the boiler
                      temp? Am I
                      > > missing something basic here? Seriously! :-)

                      Home distilling
                      Culture
                      Culture club
                      Organizational culture