Freezing before distilling

  • combfood
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 22, 2006
      If i fermented out a brew of say 10 litres.
      Racked off the liquid from any sludge.
      Put the whole lot in the freezer and froze the whole quanity where
      would the alcohol be?
    • Tony Smith
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 22, 2006
        The water is what will freeze at 32 deg F. The ethanol that is left will remain liquid. Ethanol turns solid at -173.2 °F
        combfood <combfood@...> wrote: If i fermented out a brew of say 10 litres.
        Racked off the liquid from any sludge.
        Put the whole lot in the freezer and froze the whole quanity where
        would the alcohol be?

        Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

        ---------------------------------

      • Gregory Bloom

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 23, 2006
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Tony Smith <tony9812001@...>
            wrote:

            > The water is what will freeze at 32 deg F. The ethanol that is
            left will remain liquid. Ethanol turns solid at -173.2 °F

            That depends on the ethanol/water concentration. Remember ethanol &
            water are completely miscible (look it up). Here's a table that may
            be of interest...

            EtOH Conc. Vol. % (Wt.)------- Freezing Point F° (C°)
            0 (0)------------------------- 32 (0)
            10 (8)------------------------ 25 (- 4)
            20 (17)----------------------- 15 (- 9)
            30 (26)----------------------- 5 (- 15)
            40 (34)---------------------- -10 (- 23)
            50 (44)---------------------- -25 (- 32)
            60 (54)--------------------- -35 (- 37)
            70 (65)--------------------- -55 (- 48)
            80 (76)--------------------- -75 (- 59)
            90 (88)-------------------- -110 (- 79)
            100 (100)------------------ -175 (- 115)

          • Robert Thomas
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 23, 2006
              The lurking moderator resurfaces!
              Good table Harry. Now where to get liquid N2...
              cheers,
              Rob.

              --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Tony Smith <tony9812001@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > The water is what will freeze at 32 deg F. The ethanol that is
              > left will remain liquid. Ethanol turns solid at -173.2 �F
              >

              > That depends on the ethanol/water concentration. Remember ethanol &
              > water are completely miscible (look it up). Here's a table that may
              > be of interest...
              >
              > EtOH Conc. Vol. % (Wt.)------- Freezing Point F� (C�)
              > 0 (0)------------------------- 32 (0)
              > 10 (8)------------------------ 25 (- 4)
              > 20 (17)----------------------- 15 (- 9)
              > 30 (26)----------------------- 5 (- 15)
              > 40 (34)---------------------- -10 (- 23)
              > 50 (44)---------------------- -25 (- 32)
              > 60 (54)--------------------- -35 (- 37)
              > 70 (65)--------------------- -55 (- 48)
              > 80 (76)--------------------- -75 (- 59)
              > 90 (88)-------------------- -110 (- 79)
              > 100 (100)------------------ -175 (- 115)
              >

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

              Cheers,
              Rob.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Tony Smith
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 23, 2006
                Harry,

                Thanks for the table!

                Tony

                wrote:

                > The water is what will freeze at 32 deg F. The ethanol that is
                left will remain liquid. Ethanol turns solid at -173.2 °F

                That depends on the ethanol/water concentration. Remember ethanol &
                water are completely miscible (look it up). Here's a table that may
                be of interest...

                EtOH Conc. Vol. % (Wt.)------- Freezing Point F° (C°)
                0 (0)------------------------- 32 (0)
                10 (8)------------------------ 25 (- 4)
                20 (17)----------------------- 15 (- 9)
                30 (26)----------------------- 5 (- 15)
                40 (34)---------------------- -10 (- 23)
                50 (44)---------------------- -25 (- 32)
                60 (54)--------------------- -35 (- 37)
                70 (65)--------------------- -55 (- 48)
                80 (76)--------------------- -75 (- 59)
                90 (88)-------------------- -110 (- 79)
                100 (100)------------------ -175 (- 115)

                Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

                ---------------------------------

              • sonum norbu
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 23, 2006
                  Where the bloody hell would we be without Harry and his amazing input.
                  Always interesting reading and pertinant. Thanks Harry.

                  > The water is what will freeze at 32 deg F. The ethanol that is
                  left will remain liquid. Ethanol turns solid at -173.2 °F

                  That depends on the ethanol/water concentration. Remember ethanol &
                  water are completely miscible (look it up). Here's a table that may
                  be of interest...

                  EtOH Conc. Vol. % (Wt.)------- Freezing Point F° (C°)
                  0 (0)------------------------- 32 (0)
                  10 (8)------------------------ 25 (- 4)
                  20 (17)----------------------- 15 (- 9)
                  30 (26)----------------------- 5 (- 15)
                  40 (34)---------------------- -10 (- 23)
                  50 (44)---------------------- -25 (- 32)
                  60 (54)--------------------- -35 (- 37)
                  70 (65)--------------------- -55 (- 48)
                  80 (76)--------------------- -75 (- 59)
                  90 (88)-------------------- -110 (- 79)
                  100 (100)------------------ -175 (- 115)

                  Food and drink Home distilling Culture
                  Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

                  SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                  http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
                  IRC server tessnet.cx

                • morganfield1
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 23, 2006
                    I'm going with, "in the freezer"

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "combfood" <combfood@...> wrote:

                    > If i fermented out a brew of say 10 litres.
                    > Racked off the liquid from any sludge.
                    > Put the whole lot in the freezer and froze the whole quanity where
                    > would the alcohol be?

                  • morganfield1
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 23, 2006
                      I'm sorry, Comb, actually, that's how apple jack is made. As a way of
                      reducing the water from a wash before distilling, freezing is not very
                      efficent. As Harry said, water and alchohol mix well together to form
                      a mixture (as opposed to a solution). As you begin the freezing
                      process, the alchohol molecules will begin to seperate themselves from
                      the water, very slowly. As the water freezes, it will trap some
                      alchohol. What doesn't freeze at this stage, has a higher alchohol
                      content, but still has water in it. As this freezes, it traps more
                      alchohol. What's left is higher in alchohol content, and on and on,
                      till the temperature is not cold enough to freeze what's left. HTH
                      Tip one, Morgan

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "combfood" <combfood@...> wrote:

                      > If i fermented out a brew of say 10 litres.
                      > Racked off the liquid from any sludge.
                      > Put the whole lot in the freezer and froze the whole quanity where
                      > would the alcohol be?

                    • mr done
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 23, 2006
                        harry/somebody?

                        Does it seem funny that the same temp above
                        freezing is the same below to distill and to retrieve
                        alchol that's frozen? Devine intervention?, to help
                        drunks and not have to remember too much? Wierd
                        Science? But thanks harry for the info...

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Sam Thomas
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 24, 2006
                          Will it hurt anything?

                          Last night I ran a wash through my still and got about half way and had to stop. I just unplugged everything and left it. Can I restart it tonight?

                        • Robert Thomas
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 24, 2006
                            No worries! Just go with it.
                            Cheers
                            Rob.
                            p.s. if you got past the heads bit, then don't do it again,

                            --- Sam Thomas <bob_the_borg@...> wrote:

                            > Will it hurt anything?
                            >
                            > Last night I ran a wash through my still and got about half way and
                            > had to stop. I just unplugged everything and left it. Can I restart
                            > it tonight?

                            Cheers,
                            Rob.

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Sam Thomas
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 24, 2006
                              Thanks Rob... the heads are done, we set aside about 6 ounces as heads from the start. We were pulling out steady 90% when I had to stop. I was heartbroken. Ha!

                              Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote: No worries! Just go with it.
                              Cheers
                              Rob.
                              p.s. if you got past the heads bit, then don't do it again,

                              --- Sam Thomas <bob_the_borg@...> wrote:

                              > Will it hurt anything?
                              >
                              > Last night I ran a wash through my still and got about half way and
                              > had to stop. I just unplugged everything and left it. Can I restart
                              > it tonight?

                              Cheers,
                              Rob.

                              Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

                              ---------------------------------

                            • Gary
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 1, 2007
                                Hi all,

                                Just for fun I put 2l of sugar wine (14%)into the freezer and let it
                                freeze for three days. I just opened and poured out what was not
                                frozen. I was left with just under 1l. of liquid

                                Is that about right? (reduce by over 50%)? or do I need to let it
                                thaw and drip some more?

                                Gary

                                P.S. I tried out my new alcometer and it just floated on top of the
                                cold liquid so I figured it was too cold for any reading so I let it
                                sit. At 20 C. it STILL floated on top! (Reading is below 0%)I tasted
                                the stuff and would estimate over 25% by the taste. Do I have a bunch
                                of leftover sugar? It doesn't taste that sweet but I'm a newbee.

                                If it does have a lot of sugar left over wrecking my reading is this
                                going to cause any other problems? (yukky burnt sugar in my boiler?)

                                Gary