Re: Thumper

  • uncle_ish
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 14, 2006
      Oh yes, try one. And definitely see Tony Acklands (homedistiller.org)
      on that question. thumper essentially redistills your run. some heat
      their thumpers; I find the vapour coming over provides ample heating.
      Some pre-load with wash; I use water. In my opinion, a thumper smooths
      the mouth- and throat-feel of your juice (and tomorrow, the head-feel)
      I found some stainless steel 2 litre jars with tight slide-on lids at
      Canadian Tire, and a drilled-out bolt through a hole in the roof is a
      good way to attach the outlet tube if you trust clear plastic tubing.
      The inlet tube needs to be submerged. Again, see homedistiller.org.

      Within reason, the answer to should I try... (anything)in distilling is
      yes! But don't kill yourself, what we are doing DOES have the
      potential for disaster. And do save your settings, because if you make
      a change and it worsens your brew, yu wan't to remember how to go back.

      nunc est bibendum
      unce ish
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "serv_first" <gbasile@...> wrote:

      > Hi...
      > I'm new .. using a pot still for a while ..thumper in a pot still set
      up.
      > Should I try one? Can it take the place of a second spirit run?
      > Thanks for your input. Greg

    • Lindsay Williams
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 15, 2006
        There are very experienced distillers who say a thumper is a right
        PITA and not worth the hassle. Do some searches on past threads then
        you will have to decide for yourself. Try searching on the forums at
        homedistiller.org and here http://www.taet.com.au/distillers.nsf and
        here http://www.taet.com.au/ndistillers.nsf

        Cheers,
        Lindsay.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "serv_first" <gbasile@...> wrote:

        > Hi...
        > I'm new to the group.. I have been using a pot still for a while with
        > good results. I have noticed in old moonshine photos and some newer
        > still photos, some folks install a thumper in a pot still set up.
        > Should I try one? Can it take the place of a second spirit run?
        > Thanks for your input. Greg

      • donald holcombe
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 15, 2006
          In a good thumper system- First run fresh wash goes in the still in the thumper and in a heater box built into the condensor. As the likker comes out of the still it goes in the thumper and condenses. When the thumper heats up the likker from the still and thumper are heated by steam coming from the still.. Likker boils out of the thump into the condensor Heating the wash in in the heater box and of course the cooling water flow. When all the likker is cooked off you dump thestiil and the thumper. then dump the warm wash in the still, fresh wash in thethumper and preheater and go again.By using a thumper you are double cooking the likker all at once IE No double runs. This is done to save time and heat. On a small scale I think it is a PITA. You have more pressure in the still and more chance of a leak. If the thumper sclogs up you dont want to be INDOORS with it . TRUST ME on this one.

          serv_first <gbasile@...> wrote: Hi...
          I'm new to the group.. I have been using a pot still for a while with
          good results. I have noticed in old moonshine photos and some newer
          still photos, some folks install a thumper in a pot still set up.
          Should I try one? Can it take the place of a second spirit run?
          Thanks for your input. Greg

          Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

          ---------------------------------

        • Greg Basile

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 15, 2006
              Hi Lindsay... Thank you for the information. Being new, I didn't know how to search forum threads. Also...Question on the lingo, What is PITA? Thanks Greg

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 15, 2006
                Thanks Morgan.. I got some really good feedback, thanks Greg.
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 15, 2006
                  Pain in the arse! Technical distilling term!!

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Basile" <gbasile@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Lindsay... Thank you for the information. Being new, I didn't
                  know how to search forum threads. Also...Question on the lingo, What
                  is PITA? Thanks Greg

                  Service.

                • Greg Basile
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 15, 2006
                    Got it! GB
                    Pain in the arse! Technical distilling term!!

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Basile" <gbasile@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Lindsay... Thank you for the information. Being new, I didn't
                    know how to search forum threads. Also...Question on the lingo, What
                    is PITA? Thanks Greg

                  • ggenovezos
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 11, 2011
                      Hi all,

                      Any ideas on how to make a thumper?

                      What container should I be looking for?

                      Thanks
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 12, 2011
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ggenovezos" <ggenovez@...> wrote:

                        > Hi all,
                        >
                        > Any ideas on how to make a thumper?
                        >
                        > What container should I be looking for?
                        >
                        > Thanks

                        I got plenty of ideas on making a thumper. I got 'em from doing a little reading of past messages. It's called 'minimal research'.

                      • ggenovezos
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 13, 2011
                          Thanks Harry,

                          Most of the items where mason jars and SS pots.

                          I was hoping for other alternatives...

                          Για Σου!

                          Message 12 of 26 , May 14, 2011
                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ggenovezos" <ggenovez@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks Harry,
                            >
                            > Most of the items where mason jars and SS pots.
                            >
                            > I was hoping for other alternatives...
                            >
                            > Για Σου!

                            Anything that will hold liquid airtight (without poisoning) is fair game. In the old days they used a wooden keg on a stand.

                          • waljaco
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 14, 2011
                              A series of thumpers is equivalent to a horizontal column. Why not just use a short reflux column to get the equivalent of a double distillation!
                              wal

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ggenovezos" <ggenovez@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks Harry,
                              >
                              > Most of the items where mason jars and SS pots.
                              >
                              > I was hoping for other alternatives...
                              >
                              > Για Σου!
                              >
                              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ggenovezos" <ggenovez@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Hi all,
                              > > >
                              > > > Any ideas on how to make a thumper?
                              > > >
                              > > > What container should I be looking for?
                              > > >
                              > > > Thanks
                              > > >

                              > > I got plenty of ideas on making a thumper. I got 'em from doing a little reading of past messages. It's called 'minimal research'.
                              > >

                              > > Slainte!
                              > > regards Harry

                            • Thomas
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 17, 2013
                                Hello all!
                                I would like information on a thumper, what it does, it's benefits, and some construction ideas.
                                I currently have a simple pot still, made from a stew pot.
                                Thanks,
                                Tom
                              • M L
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 17, 2013
                                  Hey Tom, Welcome. A thumper, also called a doubler actually re-distills you're product in one run . I made one out of a glass pickle jar , then went to a stainless steel one for safety. I was enlightened by the folks at the HD site . Glass could break them BOOM you're on fire. I found a SS canister set at a thrift store and rigged it up.If you're sticking with the pot it's a good addition, makes a more pure and higher proof product.

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 17, 2013
                                    Thomas,

                                    At it's simplest, a thumper is simply a second (usually smaller) still boiler which is heated by bubbling the vapor output of the first, conventional heated potstill boiler, though the liquid in the thumper. The vapor boiled off of the thumper is then condensed in an ordinary condenser, liebig or worm.

                                    The effect of a thumper filled with the same wash as the primary boiler is to essentially "double distill" that wash, since much of the condenser output has been boiled and condensed (in the thumper) and then boiled and condensed again. A thumper run in this way will produce a distillate higher in ethanol. If the thumper is not at first heated externally, the volume in the thumper will increase by 10-15% until the thumper boils, and it will decrease very slowly thereafter.

                                    If you've seen plated column stills, the thumper acts a lot like a single plate.

                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" <stought1@...> wrote:

                                    > Hello all!
                                    > I would like information on a thumper, what it does, it's benefits, and some construction ideas.
                                    > I currently have a simple pot still, made from a stew pot.
                                    > Thanks,
                                    > Tom

                                  • White Bear
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 17, 2013
                                    Thomas-
                                      This might help you out a bit more in learning about what a thumper is.
                                    WB

                                    Message 18 of 26 , Mar 18, 2013
                                      On My Pot Still we do not have a thumper, I find a better cut without it.
                                      IMHO,,
                                      CRSound, Over The Rail N' Down The Hatch...
                                      Happy St. Pats YA'ALL
                                    • walter_t_flanagan
                                      Message 19 of 26 , Mar 23, 2013
                                        Thanks for the file. I was always wondering how to size the thumper, to make sure it does not overflow. I suppose you could heat the thumper as well, if too large.

                                        WF

                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, White Bear <sha_man_1@...> wrote:

                                        > Thomas-
                                        >   This might help you out a bit more in learning about what a thumper is.
                                        > WB
                                        >

                                        > ________________________________

                                      • White Bear
                                        Message 20 of 26 , Mar 24, 2013
                                          Walter-
                                            Some set-ups really should be heated like in a small home still but the amount of BTU's needed usually are not worth the effort in my opinion.  If you are concerned with the amount of time it takes to run, just wrap the thumper in a towel or some type of insulation to keep the heat in.  Remember that the thumper contents have to reach the point that the alcohol will also begin to vaporize (173°F depending what your altitude is) so retaining that heat from your still is a very good idea.
                                          WB

                                          --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, White Bear <sha_man_1@...> wrote:

                                          > Thomas-
                                          >   This might help you out a bit more in learning about what a thumper is.
                                          > WB
                                          >

                                          > ________________________________

                                        • Ted
                                          Message 21 of 26 , Mar 27, 2013

                                            I will weigh in on the Thumper issue.  I have only been distilling for a few months. I have been a home brewer for many years so it was a fairly easy transition, though I have honestly learned a lot and plan to learn more.

                                            I started out from the beginning using a thumper because my first goal was to mimic the process and product of the Moonshiners in the Appalachians.  My first thumper was a 6 qt. SS Dutch oven.  It worked, but I believed it was too small (too short).  I then picked up an 8L (2 gal.) SS stock pot at Wally World for $7 and converted it.

                                            I will say that if you want to try a thumper, I do not consider it a PITA.  The only issue I have had was the build, and I consider that negligible.  I did do one thing different for this small thumper.  Instead of one "long tube" down tube, I put in a down tube, capped the bottom end and branched four 1/4" tubes off of it.  I believe this helps dispense the vapor bubbles into the wash in the Thumper better, especially with the small size.  Whatever, it works great and I get good stuff out of one run.

                                            1. I fill the Thumper about 1/3 full (about 2.5 quarts) with fresh wash and put the rest into the Pot/cooker.
                                            2. I crank the heat up pretty high on the Pot.  I can do this without fear of scorching since I rack the wash off the grain into a carboy then cold crash it to drop out the sediment then rack it into the Pot.
                                            3. I run the temp at the column up quick to about 188 F.  By this time vapor is bubbling through the thumper pretty good.
                                            4. I cut the heat back significantly, to a point that merely holds the temp.  This is similar to how you cut back your heat on a standard pot still while doing a spirit  run.
                                            5. The Thumper continues to bubble and the temp inside the Thumper gradually raises.  Be patient here.  Do not overpower the Thumper by running the Pot too hot.
                                            6. During this waiting process, the Pot temp will slowly rise while the Thumper temp also slowly rises.   It's almost an equalizing type thing going on between the Pot and the Thumper.
                                            7. When the Thumper hits around 170 F or a little more a few drops of nearly pure Acetone come out.
                                            8. At around 175 F the temp starts to travel up the tube to the condenser and shortly after this the "product" starts to come out.
                                            9. Set your temp so that about 4 drops per second come out and start collecting and doing your cuts.

                                            My first cuts come out consistently 150+ proof.  I generally run UJSSM with one difference, I either use flaked maize or I cook the cracked corn before I make my wash.  After letting it air out for a couple of days and blending my cuts, I am very happy with my hooch--proud enough to share it.

                                            As I said, I am still a learning novice, but I have not found the thumper to be a PITA and I like using it.  I do plan on running stripper/spirit runs in the future for comparison and when I try to make some other recipes like Bourbon, Rum, Scotch and possibly Brandy.  I'll probably even try the old moonshine recipe to see which tastes best, w/ Thumper, or without.

                                            Well, that's all I have to say.  I do have pics of all of this loaded into the photos section titled "Slohand's Upgraded Still" but they won't show up for a day or two since I just loaded new pics with the new thumper and new condenser with 1/2" tube.

                                            Slo

                                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" <stought1@...> wrote:

                                            > Hello all!
                                            > I would like information on a thumper, what it does, it's benefits, and some construction ideas.
                                            > I currently have a simple pot still, made from a stew pot.
                                            > Thanks,
                                            > Tom

                                          • Ted
                                            Message 22 of 26 , Mar 27, 2013

                                              I run a Thumper and have ever since I started and don't think it's a PITA.  I started out running with a thumper because I am a long time home brewer of beer and have a lot of extra equipment laying around.  I also wanted to mimic the process and product of the moonshiners of the hills.  Admittedly, I am still a novice, but I am learning and plan to keep on learning.

                                              There will be pics of my set up w/ thumper in the Photos Section under the heading "Slohand's Upgraded Still" when they pass inspection.

                                              My Set Up is a Pot Still made up of a 20L SS Stock Pot with a 1 1/4" copper column/arm running into 1/2 rigid copper tube to the thumper which is made of an 8L (2 gal) stock pot (from Wally World for $7).  Out of the Thumper 1/2" OD flexible copper tube runs to a Graham Condenser (Tube and Coil Condenser).

                                              Like I said, I don't think it's a PITA.  The biggest problem is constructing the thumper which is one more thing to make before you start distilling, but it's not hard, and once it's done, the process is pretty easy.

                                              1. I put about 2 1/2 L of fresh wash in the thumper (fill the thumper about 1/3 full) and 4 1/2 gallons (18 L) of wash in the Pot.  I seal it all up and start heating the Pot (I never heat the thumper).
                                              2. I heat the Pot pretty fast.  I can do that without fear of scorching, since I rack the wash off of the grain into a carboy, cold crash it for a day or two to settle out the sediment, then rack it into the Pot.
                                              3. I heat the Pot to a column temp of about 188 F.  Doing it this way, the vapors are now bubbling (thumping) into the wash in the thumper.
                                              4.  At this point, I turn the heat down to stabilize the Pot temp where it is.  It's time to get patient.  Let the bubbling/thumping do it's work.  The bubbling/thumping will continue as the temp in the thumper rises to alcohol evaporation temps.
                                              5. As the temp in the thumper slowly rises, the temp in the pot will also slowly rise.  Do not try to overpower the Thumper by running the Pot too fast and hot.
                                              6. Remember, with a Thumper you are accomplishing a stripping run and a spirit run at the same time, so you can afford to be a little more patient.  I have found that a slow patient run produces the best product.
                                              7. As the temp in the thumper rises to alcohol evaporation temp, the tubing past the thumper will get hot just like when running without a thumper.
                                              8. As the heat travels down the tube to the condenser, eventually product will start dripping out of the condenser.  Once this happens, it's just like any other run.  With a 20L Pot and a 1/2" condenser regulate the heat so that about 4 drops of distillate are coming out per second.
                                              9. At this point, toss your foreshots, make your cuts and let it run to the end.

                                              Like I said, once you have the thumper built, running a still with a thumper is not a PITA, especially when you look at it like your are accomplishing a stripping run and a spirit run at the same time.

                                              My distillate starts at 150+ proof and hangs above 140 for more than half of the run.  My product has developed to the point that I will share it with anyone, even boys from the hills.

                                              Since I started with a thumper for the reasons stated above, I have never run a Pot still without a thumper (stripping run and spirit run).  I plan to do that to compare the difference in product.  I also hope to run some AG bourbon and Scotch in the future which will probably require a non-thumper still.

                                              One last thing.  When you see my pics, your will see that instead of a single "long tube" running into the thumper, I capped off the end of the down tube and branched out four 1/4" tubes into the wash so that the vapor will more evenly distribute into the wash.  Does it help?  I think so and if not, I still like it.

                                              Hope this info helps.

                                              Slo

                                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" <stought1@...> wrote:

                                              > Hello all!
                                              > I would like information on a thumper, what it does, it's benefits, and some construction ideas.
                                              > I currently have a simple pot still, made from a stew pot.
                                              > Thanks,
                                              > Tom

                                            • Ted
                                              Message 23 of 26 , Mar 28, 2013
                                                Sorry for the double post. I thought I messed up and lost the first one.

                                                Slo
                                              • richaaard
                                                Message 24 of 26 , Mar 29, 2013
                                                  I saw on one of the linked sites, or somewhere, a carribean rum process using 2 thumpers. Since my plan is to use solar tubes for heat, which might not be as reliable in heat control, my thinking is that if it gets away from me at times two thumpers is better than one? I already know I will be using one thumper, but I'm curious what your thinking would be on using two.

                                                  Thanks